Newbie PBS scheduling question (KU)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techie

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2006
I'm an experienced electronics/radio tech, but a newbie where FTA is concerned. Here is my dilemma: at the moment all I want to receive is the FTA, KU band, PBS (Public TV - probably national, east or west). I think I've figured out what I need in terms of hardware, but I have another problem. I can't find an hourly programming schedule for the national (KU-band) PBS downlinks. As I read it, there is FTA/KU-band PBS being broadcast .... is that correct? Is that schedule something that's not published publicly? Have I simply failed to google it? Am I "flogging a dead horse", as the saying goes? Or, could it be the same schedule as the PBS C-band transponder that transmits from the same bird (AMC-4)?
Any tips on solving this newbie-grade mystery, or possible special hardware advice that might be applicable to this particular task (?) would be appreciated (I haven't bought the hardware yet).
Cheers,
techie

here is the schedule for the C-Band feed

http://www.pbs.org/tvschedules/satellite.html

I would creat one on TitanTV...you can create your own setup of channels. I have in mine
-Channels I get OTA
-G10 stuff
-PBS & PBS West (along with Montana PBS)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 240
Thanks for the PBS schedule link for C-band Iceberg, but I still don't know if it's the same as the KU-band programming (from the same bird). This may be a stupid newbie question, but does this mean that it is the same for KU and C? Maybe I'm missing something basic in my understanding of how satellite programming is set up, being a newbie.
In actuality, my main aim is to find a way (using any FTA bird/s) to receive certain Britcoms (BBC British Comedies) and one BBC drama from my rural location, where no local sources exist. That's all I need, but .......
It appears that two west coast stations (between the two) have what I need:
KBDI and KRMA (but maybe no FTA transponder?)
or ..... KHOU Houston has it all, but no transponder as far as I can see.
Also, the combination of the two PBS Denver stations have what I need (between them), but alas I haven't yet found a way to receive FTA from any of the above.
I may be "stuck between a rock and a hard spot" here. :haha
BTW, the TitanTV link looks useful. I hadn't found it yet.
Thanks for the help and patience with stupid newbie questions. Once I get past this bit my tech background should make the rest relatively easy (famous last words). ;)

Thanks for the PBS schedule link for C-band Iceberg, but I still don't know if it's the same as the KU-band programming (from the same bird). This may be a stupid newbie question, but does this mean that it is the same for KU and C? Maybe I'm missing something basic in my understanding of how satellite programming is set up, being a newbie.

There are 2 feeds of PBS..one on C-band and one on KU band
-C Band (the big dishes) is on AMC4 (101W) analog. The older analog receivers pick that up. Its east coast only
-KU Band (30” or greater) has a national E & W feed on AMC3 (87W). The west coast feed is just delayed 3 hours. There is also Montana PBS on that satellite too.

Aha!

I think I'm beginning to get the picture now (no pun intended) ;) . Looks like AMC-3 is what I need - not AMC-4. Maybe when time allows I'll even get into C band. Thanks tons for the help. Now, if I could just find a PC card or USB, FTA receiver that would work well under SuSe Linux without a lot of hassle .... or a home mortgage to pay for it ..... :D
Thanks again!

techie said:
Any tips on solving this newbie-grade mystery, or possible special hardware advice that might be applicable to this particular task techie

This will all change in 2008, when AMC 21 ku band satellite is launched to 125 w.
It will be used by PBS for all Ku services. It will have 24 X 36 mhz transponders. It is the baby Alcaltel model - Starbus. So unlike the Alcatel satellite ordered by Ciel; it will have to have some regional transponders to keep the EIRP #s high.

http://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sat/osc_star-bus.htm

Ditto Jumbo!

Just another "thank you Jumbo" from the newbie who started this thread. I'm a bit slow in responding right now as I'm packing for a long move. I'll probably disappear for a while as the new abode is not yet online. In fact, it's not even on-grid at this time! It'll be strictly solar panels for a while - maybe forever - and I have to set them up upon arrival. So, I say to future repliers ........... please don't be insulted if I fail to answer a reply. It's not intentional. I'm just in transit. :)
Cheers,
techie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)