Newbie question about power lines

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTL_Ian

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Keene, NH
I understand one needs a clear line of sight to the bird in order to receive - does this mean 100% clear? Or, can a power line cut across the dish's "view"? If so, my site is fairly close to residential power lines (less than twenty feet) - would the electromagnetic radiation from the lines knock out signal from the bird?

Thanks for your expertise.

That shouldn't be a problem for your fta receiver. Unless you have some very leaky transmission lines, in which case your AM radio's would prob be going crazy. And possibly your tv and FM too lol. I wouldn't worry about it, line's not big enough to block the satellite.

I understand one needs a clear line of sight to the bird in order to receive - does this mean 100% clear? Or, can a power line cut across the dish's "view"? If so, my site is fairly close to residential power lines (less than twenty feet) - would the electromagnetic radiation from the lines knock out signal from the bird?

Thanks for your expertise.

For the most part I wouldn't worry about power lines causing line of sight problems. Unless there arcing or hit your dish I wouldn't be concerned.

Thanks for the help. I spent hours trying to aim this sucker at G19 today and thought that might have been the problem.

I'm using a Winegard 76cm and a DSR-R100 receiver. I also have a signal finder. I'm also using dishpointer (dot com) and a compass to assist me in pointing the right direction. I set the elevation on the dish, then aim the dish in the supposed direction of G19. It doesn't seem to matter how well I think I've zeroed in on a signal - the quality meter never rises above 15. There are some trees in the distance - would the signal meter be detecting through the trees?

Maybe I'll take a picture during the day tomorrow and see what you guys think.

I also think the level of the mount might be slightly off, but will that really matter so much if I use the signal finder to peak the signal?

You can shoot through the power lines and never found it to be a problem. However, if your dish is directly below a very high voltage power line, then I have found it to effect the lnb and kill the signal. Talking about something like a 13KV line and having the dish directly underneath the transformer on the pole. But if you are 20 or more feet away and not directly under a transformer you should be OK.

Make sure that you have selected the satellite that you are aiming for from the satellite list (Galaxy 25 /19), selected the correct LNB LO frequency and an active transponder frequency (G19 - a good TP is 11836). Rotate the LNBF skew to the correct angle for your location.

Information from www.GeoSatFinder.com

The following information is used to correctly align your satellite dish installed in KEENE, NH United States to receive signal from the Galaxy 19 (97.0 W) satellite.

Compass Reading: 228.1 deg.
Dish Elevation: 34.5 deg.
LNBF Rotation: +24.2 deg. (standing in front of the dish facing the reflector, rotate counter-clockwise.

Do you have an Universal or Standard type LNBF?

You might have to fudge the elevation reading a bit, sometimes those scales are off by a few degrees. Try moving the elevation up and down a fraction at a time, watching your tv/receiver to see if you can get any signal/quality reading. Slowly, it takes patience to find that first one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)