Newbie Question: Help, never had Sat service b4

Status
Please reply by conversation.

joeblogs

Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
I am moving into a building in which all condo units are served exclusively by DirecTV. The local provider wanted to charge me double the normal price for the equipment, so I said I would purchase it myself. I am planning on buying the R10 DVR unit for the main room, and a second receiver for the bedroom. Can I mix and match different brands of equipment? I found a used Samsung multi-sat receiver that I could use in the bedroom. Do I need to buy a multi-switch, or any other kind of accessory? All help appreciated. Thanks.

:confused:

Call Robert @ ValueElectronics (link at top of page) and mention you are a member here. I am not sure what you will need other than the receivers if the condo is pre-wired and has a communal dish already installed. Yes, you can mix and match any brand of DirecTV hardware.

Thanks for the reply. I was told by the provider that I need to buy 2 "down converters" so that I can tape one show while watching another. Is this correct? My understanding was that the R10 had two tuners built in the unit. So why would I need to buy these "converters? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)