Newbie question... need suggestion for OTA HD antenna

I don't think so. The 3016 has modest gain on channel 12.

A smaller, but less directive antenna, is prone to multipath.

The SS he's now using seems to only pickup his channel 12 in one direction. He's only interested in DTV. Although multipath can be a problem with DTV it's not as bad as with analog. I have a small wide directional and the multipath issue is alot less with D than A tv. He's in a "yellow" area for all he wants to pick up. From hdtvprimer.com antenna gains needed (on average) uhf -10db, vhf hi -15db, vhf low -25db. If he has a multipath issue turning the antenna slightly should take care of it. I think he's going to be ok.

I don't think so. The 3016 has modest gain on channel 12.

A smaller, but less directive antenna, is prone to multipath.

The SS he's now using seems to only pickup his channel 12 in one direction. He's only interested in DTV. Although multipath can be a problem with DTV it's not as bad as with analog. I have a small wide directional and the multipath issue is alot less with D than A tv. He's in a "yellow" area for all he wants to pick up. From hdtvprimer.com antenna gains needed (on average) uhf -10db, vhf hi -15db, vhf low -25db. If he has a multipath issue turning the antenna slightly should take care of it. I think he's going to be ok.

So what do you think guys.....??? 4221 or 3016....??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Update.... 4/16/07

Ok guys... so I got my 4221 late Friday. The UPS guy didn't delivery it til 7:40PM PST. I didn't even think it was going to show up til Monday. I was busy over the weekend so I didn't get it installed til today. I am able to get the VHF channel 12 like I was hoping for. Of course the signal isn't as strong as the UHF stations but it's enough for my tv to lock in. I get about 7-8 signal bars on the UHF channels and about 3-4 signal bars on the VHF channel 12. I probably don't need it but would a pre-amp help boost the signal...?

One of my TVs is a Samsung 32" LCD,same tuner as you have.If you can hold a steady 3-4 bars it will be fine.

Ed..:)

One of my TVs is a Samsung 32" LCD,same tuner as you have.If you can hold a steady 3-4 bars it will be fine.

Ed..:)

Thanks Ed...!!! My cable coming from my OTA 4221 antenna will eventually be going into my Dish PVR 921 HD receiver. It'll probably happen sometime later this week. I'm hoping the OTA tuner in the 921 is decent.

I also noticed this morning that the signal strength coming from my 4221 on channel 12 had dropped a little. Last night it was reading 3-4 bars. This morning it was reading 2-3. I didn't do anything different overnight. Everything was tightened down on the antenna when I put it up.... strange....

Originally Posted by DssMigs (This morning it was reading 2-3. I didn't do anything different overnight. Everything was tightened down on the antenna when I put it up.... strange....)

That is normal for OTA,some channels are stronger at night. :confused:

I don't know how good the Dish PVR 921 HD receiver is.

I have a Dish VIP 622 and 211, the one in my Samsung 32" LCD TV has stronger reception.

Ed..;)

Originally Posted by DssMigs (This morning it was reading 2-3. I didn't do anything different overnight. Everything was tightened down on the antenna when I put it up.... strange....)

That is normal for OTA,some channels are stronger at night. :confused:

I don't know how good the Dish PVR 921 HD receiver is.

I have a Dish VIP 622 and 211, the one in my Samsung 32" LCD TV has stronger reception.

Ed..;)

Thanks for all the info Ed, I appreciate it. :up

I'll report back here later this week with an update...

Ok guys... so I got my 4221 late Friday. The UPS guy didn't delivery it til 7:40PM PST. I didn't even think it was going to show up til Monday. I was busy over the weekend so I didn't get it installed til today. I am able to get the VHF channel 12 like I was hoping for. Of course the signal isn't as strong as the UHF stations but it's enough for my tv to lock in. I get about 7-8 signal bars on the UHF channels and about 3-4 signal bars on the VHF channel 12. I probably don't need it but would a pre-amp help boost the signal...?

Your in a fairly strong signal area, if you had to use a preamp try this, http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/hdp269.htm. You could also try moving the antenna up or even down a little to see if that helps on ch 12.

Your in a fairly strong signal area, if you had to use a preamp try this, http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/hdp269.htm. You could also try moving the antenna up or even down a little to see if that helps on ch 12.

Well the signal is fine for my UHF channels. It's the one VHF channel 12 that is weak. But of course we all know the 4221 is not a VHF antenna. The signal has gotten weaker since I last posted but it has been windy the last couple days. I'm gonna try adjusting it a little bit later today when I get home from work. Maybe a little bit up/down, left/right and see if it helps.

I'm debating on getting a preamp or just spending a little more and gettng a different antenna. The 3016 which is of course UHF/VHF/FM.

What do you guys think....??? :confused:

While the 4228 does work better on VHF 12 than the 4221, the main beam will aim in the wrong direction when it is pointed at Mt. Sutro, and Mt. Sutro stations won't work when the 4228 is aimed at NBC.

I was thinking the same thing and I don't want to waste anymore money on "trying" out a 4228. I'll be picking up a 3016 later tonight if my local Fry's has them in stock. Otherwise I'll be ordering off their website. They've got it for $24.95. Same price I paid for the SilverSensor that I returned last night to Circuit City.

If you can't or won't position the 4221 to get a better ch 12 sig than try this, http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=Y5-7-13 and combine it with the 4221. Overall you'll have smaller antenna and more upper vhf gain than with a 3016

I've tried re-positioning the 4221 to try and get a signal for channel 12 VHF but it just won't come in. Especially now since the OTA tuner in my Dish 921 is not as strong as the OTA tuner in my Samsung LCD. All I want as far as VHF channels is channel 12 which is my local NBC station. I already have a 3016 on the way that I ordered from Fry's for $24.95. It should be here this coming Friday.

Just out of curiosity.... if I did happen to get that other antenna that you referred to in your link above, what would I use to combine both the UHF and VHF signals from the 2 separate antennas....???

Update 04/27/07

Ok guys.... just wanted to update all of you again. I got my CM 3016 antenna today and hooked it up. I got a really strong signal on channel 12, my VHF NBC local station. All the rest of the UHF channels came in really well too. I'm very pleased with this antenna. I wish I would've bought this in the first place. Oh well... trial and error.

I was wondering... since the 3016 is also an FM antenna... can I split the signal with a distributor/amplifier from CM to use for my FM receiver....?

Thanks again to all of you for your help and suggestions, I really appreciate it. Now I can watch Heroes in HD.... WOO HOO...!!! :up :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts