Newbie questions. Be kind

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dobies

Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
I currently have DVR (dual feed) (through D*) with only 35 hours recording.

I want to upgrade to 70 or more hours recording. I don't want to download recorded programs to a VCR.

Best Buy has a rebate offer, essentially giving away the R 10 receiver (I think it's R 10) with 70 hr. recording capability.

I don't mind committing to 2 years more service(but will try not to)

:)

My question---- do you think I'll just have to simply unplug the present receiver and plug in the new one? (I also guess I'll have to call D* and get a new access card, right?)

Or am I overlooking something obvious.

Please answer here on the forum--- going off line now until tomorrow.

TIA

dobies

If you buy one at retail, it will have a new access card in it.
Unplug old one, plug new one in, call DirecTV to send authorizations.

Done.

Note you can also just upgrade the HD in your 35 hour TiVo.

(My R10 has a 200GB drive for 174hrs of space.)

Newbie question

hogarth,

Thank you so much! Upgrading sounds more what I want---- but when I'd called D* before *they* said that wasn't possible. Sigh.

I know that depending on who you talk to you may or may not get correct answers.

Can you tell me more about this upgrade? Cost (approx) ease (help! <g>)

I'm online right now---- I think you are also?

And I hope I'm doing this reply right!

dobies

Thanks to everyone who's answered me. I've saved all the information for the future----- since I broke down and went to Best Buy and bought the *free* R10! I wanted more hours *now* for the new season coming up. :)

Any ideas that might help me? Just any old thing. Eager to learn.

But if I want to upgrade when I'm not pressured by my internal desires :) I'll probably come back and ask more questions.

I wish I'd known about this place before.

Now to start reading up on the posts.

dobies

dobies said:
I currently have DVR (dual feed) (through D*) with only 35 hours recording.

I want to upgrade to 70 or more hours recording. I don't want to download recorded programs to a VCR.

Best Buy has a rebate offer, essentially giving away the R 10 receiver (I think it's R 10) with 70 hr. recording capability.

I don't mind committing to 2 years more service(but will try not to)

:)

My question---- do you think I'll just have to simply unplug the present receiver and plug in the new one? (I also guess I'll have to call D* and get a new access card, right?)

Or am I overlooking something obvious.

Please answer here on the forum--- going off line now until tomorrow.

TIA

dobies

no contract commitment increase if you buy your own at retail

jgs

dobies said:
Thanks to everyone who's answered me. I've saved all the information for the future----- since I broke down and went to Best Buy and bought the *free* R10! I wanted more hours *now* for the new season coming up. :)

Any ideas that might help me? Just any old thing. Eager to learn.

But if I want to upgrade when I'm not pressured by my internal desires :) I'll probably come back and ask more questions.

I wish I'd known about this place before.

Now to start reading up on the posts.

dobies

doing the upgrade yourself is not too bad, just a matter of following a 'really' good script quite precisely, until you are comfortable with what happens in the process, essentially it's as easy as swapping a hard drive in a PC, but the order is pretty important, as there are no disc drives to recover with if you miss something . .
doing the job on an offline DVR is probably the best idea possible, no hurry, no worry . .

jgs

Thanks to all who helped me.

Now I have another question :) about the Season Pass.

I'll start a new thread for that one.

dobies

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts