Newbie questions, PLease ignore ignorance

thebradybunch

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 20, 2003
I have done many searches and the more I read the more confused I get. I have a local retailer installing a 811 and superdish on Wed. hopefully(got tired of waiting on Dish). I read a lot about channels moving from one sat to another, with the superdish and the the 34 switch can I cover all satellites no matter where the channels move?

Also I understand an OTA is good for channels not carried on Dish. For example I like Third Watch on NBC which is in HiDef but is not carried on Dish, I do have locals but Dish of course does not carry NBC HiDef. Is this an example of the only reason for an OTA?

Does the dish act as an OTA at all? Also how close to the station do you need to be to get a good signal or are there too many variables to answer that. Thank you so much for your help.

I have done many searches and the more I read the more confused I get. I have a local retailer installing a 811 and superdish on Wed. hopefully(got tired of waiting on Dish). I read a lot about channels moving from one sat to another, with the superdish and the the 34 switch can I cover all satellites no matter where the channels move?

yes, you will get all the channels.

Also I understand an OTA is good for channels not carried on Dish. For example I like Third Watch on NBC which is in HiDef but is not carried on Dish, I do have locals but Dish of course does not carry NBC HiDef. Is this an example of the only reason for an OTA?

yes, alot of members here have an antenna for thier local programming thats boradcast in HD.

Does the dish act as an OTA at all? Also how close to the station do you need to be to get a good signal or are there too many variables to answer that. Thank you so much for your help.

No, the Dish is not an OTA antenna.
Here's a good place to start for antenna's.

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)