Newbie questions....

gretz99

Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
1st ever post...Browsed around the forums and find them informative However, I had some specific questions for my situation.

I am interested in getting SC here in Knoxville, TN. I am originally from Montreal, Quebec and have several addresses I can use for billing.

I have looked at the SC programming and I know what I am interested in but I'm a little cloudy on how I can get the whole system delivered to my US address w/o a broker. I am interested in just one receiver(HD). What size dish would I need for my location? Do I need the receiver to be plugged into a land line? I don't have a home phone.

I am not a techie but I was wondering how 'simple' it would be for me to self-install it or should I try to find a local installer who can do this side job for me? What would be a fair price to have it installed at my condo if I went that route? Are there specs to point my dish here in Knoxville?
I was looking at possibly getting the tripod for installation. Would that be easier to install and get the signal...pros and cons?

I really miss canadian programming especially hockey so any info you guys can give me is truly appreciated or if there is anything I have overlooked in doing this.

Thanks!!

1st ever post...Browsed around the forums and find them informative However, I had some specific questions for my situation.

I am interested in getting SC here in Knoxville, TN. I am originally from Montreal, Quebec and have several addresses I can use for billing.

I have looked at the SC programming and I know what I am interested in but I'm a little cloudy on how I can get the whole system delivered to my US address w/o a broker. I am interested in just one receiver(HD). What size dish would I need for my location? Do I need the receiver to be plugged into a land line? I don't have a home phone.

I am not a techie but I was wondering how 'simple' it would be for me to self-install it or should I try to find a local installer who can do this side job for me? What would be a fair price to have it installed at my condo if I went that route? Are there specs to point my dish here in Knoxville?
I was looking at possibly getting the tripod for installation. Would that be easier to install and get the signal...pros and cons?

I really miss canadian programming especially hockey so any info you guys can give me is truly appreciated or if there is anything I have overlooked in doing this.

Thanks!!

Contact KuSat (ExpressVu, Star Choice, Viewsat, Coolsat, Pansat, Free-to-air, HughesNet, Anikast, C-Band, Promax, Unaohm and much more at Ku Satellites, since 1997!) and order your hardware. They will ship the equipment to the U.S. and are very reliable. If you need a broker you can get that through private messages at this forum. I would use a 75cm e dish for a southern U.S. city location. You can have the system installed rooftop and you could hire an independent satellite operator to install the system (it's fairly easy). Coordinates needed for installation can be found at www.global-cm.net (very good coordinates). Also, Starchoice nows does NHL Centre Ice packages. Your broker can activate the service when your system is installed.

Starchoice has 2 satellites (F1 and F2)...would I be able to pick up both of them with a 75cm dish? How do you know which one to point it at?

If I buy the equipment alone outright from KuSat could I then go ahead and order the programming straight from Starchoice if I have a Canadian billing address or is it better to do it all combined with KuSat?

All SC dual satellite dishes are pointed at Anik F2 @111.1 (just to the right of where DirecTV dishes are pointed). You get both satellites. Check with your condo board first to see if dishes allowed.

If you have Canadian address, sign up for online billing after service is authorized. That way you can change your programming online whenever you want. You chose your US network source. Since Detroit/Seattle HD nets are included; select either Buffalo or Spokane for feed (select both if you opt for the Digital Advantage package)

Two other quick points: 1) don't plug your receiver into a phone line-it is not necessary, no extra charge; and 2) if you self-install, be advised that tweaking this dish, in my experience, is more sensitive than either Directv or Dish self-installs that I have done in the past. Patience is necessary (unless you have a satellite finder).

Thanks for the responses!

I was looking at my neighbor's direct tv dish and where it is pointed concerns me because I have an end unit with more trees around me.
I assume that SC will pointed in pretty much the same direction as that Direct Tv dish?
I was thinking of getting Direct Tv out here just to see if I could get a signal but I'd need to actually order service with it. Hmmm...
No sense in getting the SC equipment and not have a signal. :(

Any suggestions are appreciated...

How would I know if I'm getting any kind of reception from my unit with SC or DirecTV unless I get an installer out there to check?

Also...I just found out that even though I have a Canadian address, I don't have StarChoice service at it. StarChoice says I have to have an account with them in Canada before I would be eligible for a home away from home account.

Also...I just found out that even though I have a Canadian address, I don't have StarChoice service at it. StarChoice says I have to have an account with them in Canada before I would be eligible for a home away from home account.

Use a Canadian address for your service address (as well as billing), no need to do an "away from home" setup. Set yourself up for electronic billing and pay by credit card.

Hope you're enjoying Knoxville, I went to graduate school there at UT.

home away from home program

unless you are planning to connect your phone line for auto ppv, and to use their future interactive services, you do not beed a home away from home account, but if you run into tech problems, and call *C, they will probably ask you where you have your service, do as suggested- have a the bill emailed to you and use email billing and the computer to make programming changes.
I do have the home away from home and paperless billing, I had tech issues, so it was worth it, and it saves the yearly broker fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts