Newbie questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lownote2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Ok, so first of all I will begin by saying thank you to all for your help and please pardon me if any of these questions seem dumb.

So I've been thinking about ditching my current subscription sat service and going fta. Not because I'm mad at them or anything, just tired of paying $90 a month for a lot of tv that isn't necessary. Of course the rest of the family will have a lot more adjusting to do than I would, I don't watch a lot of tv.

While aiming the dish and setup may have it's challenges, I'm not super concerned it that area yet. I have a birddog and currently install all day long 6 days a week, but not FTA.

So after looking heavily at lyngsat, galaxy 18 seems to be a satellite with a lot of programming I would like to watch. There could be others, so I will probably install one with a motor. (ok, so that could be challenging, but sadoun has a pretty good website that helped explain it.)

So, here's my questions..
1. Looking at the "list" it does appear that there are some network affiliates, so since my reception OTA here is give and take, will I be able to at least pick up some of the major networks? (unless they decide to scrambe in the future obviously)
2. I do have a few programs I like on HBO (True Blood, Entorauge etc) I know they aren't available FTA but...
a. Is there a way I could contact HBO and pay a subscription and have it unscrambled? (smartcard authorization or something)
or
b. Does anyone know if *E would let me keep service and only get HBO? I understand with leased equipment that wouldn't happen, but I have some receivers I own and could hook up.

Also, we don't get a ton of snow here in Missouri, but we do seem to get a lot of ice in the winter. How well do the motors do with ice build up. I wouldn't want one to burn up.

More dumb questions.
If I had more than one receiver hooked up, does only one control the motor? I wouldn't want to be watching something and have my kids change to something else and all of a sudden lose signal.

and I'm assuming, but not sure... that as long as your watching programming from the same satellite, if you have more than one receiver you could still watch 2 different things.

Also, has anyone used the DVR FTa receivers? The one's I looked at on Glorystars site had the capability, but it was a USB hookup for an external drive. Just wondering how well they work if anyone's using one.

I know I have a lot of questions, but I'm actually quite excited about hooking one up, but still in the research stage. I understand it may be an adjustment, but it's not a big deal to me. I figure for what I pay *E I could have a system paid for in 3-4 months and then not have another bill to worry about. I guess the only frustrating thing may be getting used to really liking a station only to wake up one day and find it's scrambled.
Now to convince the wife..........:)

thanks all!

So, here's my questions..
1. Looking at the "list" it does appear that there are some network affiliates, so since my reception OTA here is give and take, will I be able to at least pick up some of the major networks? (unless they decide to scrambe in the future obviously)
yes. On G18 (formerly G10) there are Fox, ABC, My, Univision, Telefutura, and RTN (Retro TV Network)...only nets not on KU all the time is NBC, CW & CBS. PBS is on a different satellite. If you have a C-Band dish you can aim it at one satellite and get all 5 nets. SO depending on how good your OTA reception is that is a option

2. I do have a few programs I like on HBO (True Blood, Entorauge etc) I know they aren't available FTA but...
a. Is there a way I could contact HBO and pay a subscription and have it unscrambled? (smartcard authorization or something)
or
b. Does anyone know if *E would let me keep service and only get HBO? I understand with leased equipment that wouldn't happen, but I have some receivers I own and could hook up.
a. you would need a 4DTV which is different than thew FTA stuff...and you would need that 6 foot or larger dish
b. yes. They charge like 6 bucks a month extra for "no package" but you can get just HBO..have to own the equipment though

Also, we don't get a ton of snow here in Missouri, but we do seem to get a lot of ice in the winter. How well do the motors do with ice build up. I wouldn't want one to burn up.
I live in Minnesota and have had no issues with my motor. This winter will be winter number 5 for that motor
If I had more than one receiver hooked up, does only one control the motor? I wouldn't want to be watching something and have my kids change to something else and all of a sudden lose signal.
correct. One controls it. But if you have aq fixed system that point is moot.

and I'm assuming, but not sure... that as long as your watching programming from the same satellite, if you have more than one receiver you could still watch 2 different things.
yes. I use to have a few boxes set up just for G18 because there was too many things on at the same time
Also, has anyone used the DVR FTa receivers? The one's I looked at on Glorystars site had the capability, but it was a USB hookup for an external drive. Just wondering how well they work if anyone's using one.
I use the Visionsat (see the review area) and love it. The Glorystar one is new so I cant comment on it

I know I have a lot of questions, but I'm actually quite excited about hooking one up, but still in the research stage. I understand it may be an adjustment, but it's not a big deal to me. I figure for what I pay *E I could have a system paid for in 3-4 months and then not have another bill to worry about. I guess the only frustrating thing may be getting used to really liking a station only to wake up one day and find it's scrambled.

that is the excitement of FTA. But the networks on G18 I dont see going away any time soon. All are owned by one company (Equity Broadcasting) and according to one of the higher ups there they are going to stay FTA. SInce alot of the stations are low powered in their markets it would cost a ton for those areas to get scrambling equipment :)

i suggest building yourself a coat hanger OTA antenna and using an AMP with it like I did. I have mine mounted in the attic and I scanned in 23 digital channels- the furthest being 65 miles away.

OTA + G18 is a great replacement for any pay service. not to mention shows are usually put online a week or so after they air. (cbs does next day i think, NFL does live sunday night games). I have a connection setup for the laptop. HD content looks awesome. Albeit, you do need a good internet connection for any of the net options.

with all these free options, it makes it difficult to justify paying $100+/month.

I personally would stick with the Visionsat for PVR functionality, I've used the Glorystar PVR receiver and do not like it. Main problems are no blind scan and difficult to program.

Wow! Thank you for all the great answers. I did see a You Tube video one time with a link on here for building an OTA antenna with a coat hanger and it's supposed to work really well. It would sure beat buying one if it worked.
As far as the C band for the networks like you answered, Iceburg, that's out of the question. I don't know all my subdivision rules, but I'm not worried about putting up a 36 or so inch dish. A BUD though.... may cause some issues.
My dang house is super insulated. I have a hard time even picking up radio stations inside my house unless they are strong. I think an antenna for locals might work in the attic though but I did wonder about signal loss from the attic to the tv, so thank you, Empiretc for the amplifier advice. I figured I'd probably need one, but to be honest didn't know how amplifiers affect the new digital signals.

Thanks all for the advice. Got the "whatever you want to do" answer from the wife. (never sure how to take that one) :)

Got the "whatever you want to do" answer from the wife. (never sure how to take that one) :)
Hmm. I tried an answer for that one about 30 years ago, and it worked so well, I never tried another one. "Honey, what I really want to do is cuddle you for a few hours, but if you have something else you need to do..." And at that point I don't get a chance to finish. Then when that is over she usually suggests I go ouit and enjoy my other projects.;):eek::D

You must be referring to the old Glorystar DVR and not the current model GEOSATpro DVR1100c. The DVR1100c has Blind Scan and is extremely easy to set-up and program.

I personally would stick with the Visionsat for PVR functionality, I've used the Glorystar PVR receiver and do not like it. Main problems are no blind scan and difficult to program.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts