Newbie Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hobie16

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
USA (Full time RV'er
I am considering switching from Dish to Direct as the new Dish 61.5 sat will move locals off conus to spot beam. this is a huge problem for me as I travel in an RV and don't want the hassle of calling in to change my location and or having to use a different antenna to get locals (Eastern Arc vs Western Arc and trying to figure which one will carry the locals for any given location).
So, how does Direct handle local channels? Are they on spot beams or a conus TP that allows reception at all locations?

They are on spot beams but the footprints are huge. If you drive outside the spot beam area you loose the locals. A phone call will fix it....give them your new zip code. I am not a Directv rep...there may be fees or limits I am unaware of. If you park so you have channel 100 running they can change your receiver settings so you get locals where you are with a phone call.

Joe

If you have an RV account you get locals from either NY or LA, IIRC. Those are on CONUS beams and include only ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox. All other locals are on spot beams, but they aren't all that huge. Generally speaking, they are a few hundred miles across.

yeah unless you get the RV waiver (which you can with Dish too) you would be limited to the spotbeam coverage of the locals.

Get the RV waiver and get NY & LA nets...other than news its the same as the locals ;)

If you have an RV account you get locals from either NY or LA, IIRC. Those are on CONUS beams and include only ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox. All other locals are on spot beams, but they aren't all that huge. Generally speaking, they are a few hundred miles across.

Chip,

Ya got me. Huge for me is a spot beam that will cover Washington D.C.....Baltimore, MD & Philadelphia, PA. An RV can ride around an area of...as you say ....a couple hundred square miles.

+

It a little known fact that Captain America has moved from atop the George Washington Bridge in NY. He now has digs on Directv sats and will refocus spot beams for good boys and girls who have done their homework and brushed their teeth. Pretty sure about that.

Joe

Chip,

Ya got me. Huge for me is a spot beam that will cover Washington D.C.....Baltimore, MD & Philadelphia, PA. An RV can ride around an area of...as you say ....a couple hundred square miles.

+

It a little known fact that Captain America has moved from atop the George Washington Bridge in NY. He now has digs on Directv sats and will refocus spot beams for good boys and girls who have done their homework and brushed their teeth. Pretty sure about that.

Joe

Now that's good news! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)