Newbie showered with BUD's

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Still thinking of buying another 10 foot dish locally for $100. The dish is in better shape than the "freebie" I just got and it has a von wiess actuator and a pad mount stand. I figure since their not making many more of these dishes I should have one for spare parts. No?

Am I crazy or what?

Where were you crazies when I was trying to give away a 12'? mesh dish in 2008 at my FiL's house? ;)

What Now?

So I am going to get another 10' mesh dish that looks almost identical this saturday for $100. It is in good condition and has a stand that I plan to use to scout out my best setup locations. Basically I will pick a spot and fasten and weight down the base and check out how many satellites I can see or vice versa I suppose.

Then I am placing an order with RPSsat for a V-box X and a GeoSatPro MicroHD receiver. What then? I am assuming I can then hookup the cables and make adjustments and repairs?

I'm on a similar path to you right now.

Going to do a more complete survey of my yard at the cabin this weekend to figure out the best location for the BUD. Although I have read that others have used separate RG6 and landscape wire, I think I would prefer to use ribbon cable. Want to be clear on my location and length before ordering wire. In my mind, by the time I price out 2 runs of direct burial RG6, my other control/power wires, and take in to account that I can get a single continuous run of direct burial cable I don't need to splice - the price difference doesn't look too large to me.

Also planning to order some other gear and the cable from RPSSAT. If you decide to use ribbon cable, Roger says he has a dealer in Quesnel who stocks the cable. Might save you some $ on shipping.

Don't forget to order an LNBF. And, read up on movers before ordering.

The consensus based on the comments I have read from owners is that a 6 or 7 may be a better choice than an X, unless you can find a GBox.

Last edited:
I'm on a similar path to you right now.

Going to do a more complete survey of my yard at the cabin this weekend to figure out the best location for the BUD. Although I have read that others have used separate RG6 and landscape wire, I think I would prefer to use ribbon cable. Want to be clear on my location and length before ordering wire. In my mind, by the time I price out 2 runs of direct burial RG6, my other control/power wires, and take in to account that I can get a single continuous run of direct burial cable I don't need to splice - the price difference doesn't look too large to me.

Also planning to order some other gear and the cable from RPSSAT. If you decide to use ribbon cable, Roger says he has a dealer in Quesnel who stocks the cable. Might save you some $ on shipping.

Don't forget to order an LNBF. And, read up on movers before ordering.

The consensus based on the comments I have read from owners is that a 6 or 7 may be a better choice than an X, unless you can find a GBox.

Thanks FTAgeek, I will do more research on the movers. Why do I have to change out the chapparal LNB's ?

If I understand correctly, and I may not, here are the reasons why I will be installing an LNBF (likely the BSC421) rather than trying the existing Chaparral units on the old BUDs I salvaged.

First, the Chaparrals are old and I have no idea if they work. Installing my first C-band dish, this adds another layer of complexity. I debated trying them out, because I could probably live with Vertical polarity for a while based on what channels I would like to watch on C-band.

Then, I don't have any way of changing the polarity without another piece of electronics. If you managed to pick up an analog or other type of receiver with your dish you might be OK.

So I ordered a BSC421 LNBF as well as a V-box 7 which Roger says is better because of the heavy duty transformer.

Well here is an update on the project. I now have two 10' mesh dishes. They look almost identical except one has a bigger polar mount diameter than the other. The mount on the dish from dixonville looks to be in best shape so I am going to put up that one first. The new dish came with a nice tripod pad mount stand. I am going to test out a spot in my yard by temporarily mounting the stand on railroad ties weighted down with sandbags. Hoping I can get it to stay plumb until I get a good fix on the sites potential.

I spent some time restoring the von wiess actuator. The inner cylinder was rusty and siezed a bit. I got it turning and removed it completely to find the nylon acme screw was in good shape. The threaded rod did not seem to be rusty, so I added lithium grease to the screw and I polished up the inner cylinder with emery cloth until it was rust free. The actuator now screws in and out very nicely. I think it has potential.

Still gathering material and tools. We got a line on 12 feet of 3.5" pipe for a ground pole for free.

Here's a question, Should I get a digital signal meter to make installation easier? I do not have a small tv to use on site although we have walkie talkies to make communication easier.

Just my opinion

Burial cable:
Just remember that a shovel into the ground will slice it.
So take precautions.
Mark your path. Maybe with stepping stones?
I favor running large plastic pipe.

Old LNBs and feed:
I'm not a proponent of corotors.
Old timers who used analog receivers are more comfortable with them.
I would not recommend complicating your life.
I would choose between an LNBF or an ortho feed (C band only, in either case).

Meters:
Unless you just want a toy to play with (or are doing professional installs), they're pretty expensive.
People been setting up buds for decades without them.
A good understanding of dish-mount geometry trumps a meter.

Umm well I'll assume I don't have a good understanding of dish geometry being a newbie and all. I have taken a survey with my compass though. I took shots from east to west at different elevations. Used Dishpointer to calculate the bearings and elevations. I am sure that there will be difficulties with some of the sats but it is what it is. The dish is going somewhere within 200 feet of the house. It is just about choices. I am removing some trees on my southern boundary, especially the tall poplars that just become a hazard eventually anyways.

I would say a BUD is more confusing than a motorized Ku offset dish.

For the Ku offset, you pretty much just need to follow instructions to the letter. :)

For a BUD, you need a protractor, paper & pencil, then follow instructions on a good reference site.
A digital inclinometer is your best investment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts