newbie trying to find network stations

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jjs

Original poster
Oct 1, 2004
I have a c/ku 8 foot dish and I have attached a satwork 3688 using a diseqc.
All I am really looking for are the free to air network stations. I have done blind searches until I'm going blind watching it scan! I have gone to galaxy10r which should have some network. I do the scn in every conveievable arrangement ( turn to horiz, then try vert., even went straight from my ku in ti the satwork bypassing the diseqc switch to see if that would work and all I end up with is a dozen or so channels that just say "Scramble TV". Ihave also tried doing this galaxy11. Same results. :confused: :confused: What am I doing wrong?? If I go to my C-band I can watch tv on both those satellites, so I have to think the signal is good. By the way, the ku lnb is a digital pansat model pw5000. Should carry the needed range I think.

Any tips on what I can try would be appreciated.

(by the way, being in Tampa Florida, I can not see the AMC7 bird right now as its low in my horizon, and I hit the tree tops. Trees will be leaving soon!!) :)
Thanks everyone in advance.
JJ

Thanks for the fast reply. There are a few WB , Fox, and ABC stations on galaxy 10r. I cant seem to get a one. But I have not gave up. I'm going to try to do a blind scan with the c-band receiver on a different channel. I'll again try both vertical and horizontal.

Thanks again,
JJ

Maybe this will help.
http://www.dmsiusa.com/add_a_receiver.htm

kit5.jpg

Well first, I would start a little simpler since you know what you're looking for and all the coordinates for them are documented on http://www.lyngsat.com/g10r.html and elsewhere. Blind scan is very nice when you're exploring, but until you get "something", you might not ever get anything. Is your 3688 even registering any signal quality on the specific transponders that carry those stations? In particular, you need to be picking up these:
Freq 11719 Pol V SR 27687
Freq 11799 Pol V SR 26660
Freq 12102 Pol V SR 2220 (KTWO seems to be here and at 12108)
Freq 12114 Pol V SR 4444

For each of those, once you get a good enough reading on the 'signal quality' scale, I would just scan those transponders for the time being. It will save a lot of time and simplify your debugging.

A PW-5000 is a wideband Ku-band LNB. Unless you set up your system
with a "normal" Ku-band LNB, things are going to be quite confusing
and will probably not easily be accomplished.

But if you insist on use of the PW-5000, make sure that your master analog receiver is set up to switch polarity manually. The 13/18 volt switching on your MPEG-2 receiver will need to be engaged to change local oscillator.
Set receiver for Universal type LNB.
Set first LO at 9750 MHz
Set second LO at 10750 MHz.

13 volts will select 9750 MHz LO. 18 volts will select 10750 MHz LO.
To get Galaxy 10R / Ku, you need to engage the 18 volt setting and
have receiver set up for 10750 MHz.

Mike Kohl
Global Communications
www.global-cm.net

First, thanks to all for your help. First, let me ask Tuxcoder, I manually entered the transponder,freg, and SR and got nothing. No sure if there is another way to enter these on the St3688.
And to Mike Kohl, I followed your instructuons in installing a new satelitte.
All I got was about 20 stations with most of those being scrambled tv.I also got about 20 or radio, half of which also say scrambled, and the ones that do not say scrambled, there is nothing. Mike, you stated if I insist on using the pw5000, well I will be willing to get the correct one if you can point me in the direction. I would even consider buying a small dish with h to h motor and mount it out next to the big c band dish. I was told my a tech at company I bought the satwork st3688 to get the pw5000 for my big dish and things would be wonderful. I will not post there name as that would not be proper here I guess, but it turns outm they know almost less them me.

If there is a lnb that would work better in my big c band dish I would love to know what it is and where it can be had.

Any other tips are appreciated.

Thanks
JJ

PS, My hookup is exactly like TBI shows. (Thanks TBI), I even tried hooking the knb feed directly into the st3688 with no better luck.
Thanks again everyone.
JJ

Not sure where this is going wrong, but maybe someone can correct my errors.

I have galaxy10r set up in the ST3688 as such:
lnb type =universal
lnb low freg = 9750
lnb high freg = 10600
transponder = 5
22k = auto (this set itself when I picked universal lnb)
12V = off
DisEqC = A (A is the KU band PW5000 lnb)
LNB power = 18

Now , it shows a level of 70% but there is no % for Quality.

I tried to scan just this TP but it found no channels.

My c-band reciever is in a vertical station. (and I have tried horizontal too)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I know I must be doing something wrong, and probably am missing a simple step, but no luck yet.

Thanks everyone for the help.
JJ

Hello Peter, thanks for replying, I was going with 13/18 but was trying the suggestion from Mike to try 18, unless I read his post wrong. I may just give up the notion of using my c-band dish and just purchase a complete setup with dish and lnbf(one for ku and one for c) and may have a better shot. Maybe my 8.5 c-band dish is focused good for regular c-band, but maybe its off just enought to creat me problems with gettng this ST3688 to lock in correctly???

I seen that just responded as it was the ONLY thing different from my antenna setup screen, was worth another try I guess. Quite often a C-band dish needs fine adjustment when KU band is added, with KU band the dish has to be lined up a lot more carefully to the arc, good luck.

Peter is right, dish alignment is everything with Ku. If you have been using the BUD, it should be in alignment outside. Go to the Ku satellite of your choice (I would use G10) pull up the signal information on your analog receiver, then bump the dish east to west or vice versa until you get the strongest signal possible. Then do a blind scan with the 3688. Also if the 3688 is anything like the 3618, make sure you have the Ku LNB frequency (10750)entered and that the Ku side of the DiSEqC is on. "Normal" scan will insure that both horizontal and vertical will be scanned no matter what transponder your analog receiver in on. On the 3618 the Ku frequency is always displayed on the menu. You should have no problem locking onto signals. Remember, dish alignment is the key to receiving a strong signal.

Pete,

When you get a chance, let me know what the menu setup is for the 3688. I would like to compare it to the 3618 just to see what the differences, if any are. You know, what is shows for blind and manual scans.

Thanks.

No problem Jim, I will add a few screen shots to my 3688 review in the morning! Good Idea thanks for the motivation!

jjs did you have any luck with your setup? i am very interested asi also have 8' dish, corotor c/ku & satwork 3688. i want galaxy 10r because they are testing my locals and want to see their progress. it isn't the only reason, as like to see what else is up there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)