Newbie with a Sportster problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Saltaire

Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Hi-

I'm brandie-new here, but I can see I'll spending a lot of time here. In addition to my satellite interests, I have an HDTV with HD cable service & a Motorola 6412 HD DVR.

But, my problem is this: I decided to retire my Audiovox PNP2 to the boom box in the house & got a Sportster for my 2003 Honda Accord EX. Because of a connector problem, I had to install the Sportster's antenna instead of using the PNP2's antenna. I have AUX Input converter that allows me to play the sat radio through my head unit. The PNP2 sounded great! Totally hiss -free. The Sportster...well, I have a clear whine that is linked to my foot on the gas pedal. I swapped out the Sportster for the old PNP2 &...NO WHINE!

Anyone else have this experience? I'm wondering if the placement of the antenna & power jacks are too close together on the Sportster's car dock? Am I going to have to get a grounding cable to resolve this problem?

Appreciate any input.

Thanks/Ed

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.us.

I don't know the answer or possible solution yet. I will ask around and report back if I find something.

fromplanetbob said:
You need to get a Ground Loop Isolator. That should fix you up!

Thanks Jeremy.

For the benefit of me and others that may have the need of your advice, would you have a source that has this Ground Loop Isolator?

OK, I'll admit it, I don't know what a ground loop isolator is. I know, shame on me. :eek:

Thanks folks-

That's what I thought I'd need. I go by without one when I had the PNP2 in the car, but not as lucky with the new model. Well, at least I have a project for next weekend!

Ed

i had the same problem. i got my sportster hardwired and had engine noise everytime i hit the gas pedal. the installers tried everything to get rid of it. finally they swapped out the cradle for a new one and the noise went away.

Greetings! It's a week later & I took a trip to Circuit City for a ground loop isolator. Problem solved! And for the week that just past, I connected the PNP2 to Sportster's identical antenna & power inputs and used the "whine-free" PNP2 which was great as I was spendng a lot of time in the car for my job. Now, the new radio is playing crystal-clear in the car & I just need to find an optimal placement for the PNP2's boom box antenna. Easier said than done!

Thanks for the help, folks.

Ed

PS-if anyone has a 2003 Honda Accord or newer, I have, by necessity, become an expert at getting the console apart. I got the ground loop isolator in place in less than 30 minutes. Happy to spread the intel.

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts