Newbie with a Sportster problem

Saltaire

Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Hi-

I'm brandie-new here, but I can see I'll spending a lot of time here. In addition to my satellite interests, I have an HDTV with HD cable service & a Motorola 6412 HD DVR.

But, my problem is this: I decided to retire my Audiovox PNP2 to the boom box in the house & got a Sportster for my 2003 Honda Accord EX. Because of a connector problem, I had to install the Sportster's antenna instead of using the PNP2's antenna. I have AUX Input converter that allows me to play the sat radio through my head unit. The PNP2 sounded great! Totally hiss -free. The Sportster...well, I have a clear whine that is linked to my foot on the gas pedal. I swapped out the Sportster for the old PNP2 &...NO WHINE!

Anyone else have this experience? I'm wondering if the placement of the antenna & power jacks are too close together on the Sportster's car dock? Am I going to have to get a grounding cable to resolve this problem?

Appreciate any input.

Thanks/Ed

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.us.

I don't know the answer or possible solution yet. I will ask around and report back if I find something.

fromplanetbob said:
You need to get a Ground Loop Isolator. That should fix you up!

Thanks Jeremy.

For the benefit of me and others that may have the need of your advice, would you have a source that has this Ground Loop Isolator?

OK, I'll admit it, I don't know what a ground loop isolator is. I know, shame on me. :eek:

Thanks folks-

That's what I thought I'd need. I go by without one when I had the PNP2 in the car, but not as lucky with the new model. Well, at least I have a project for next weekend!

Ed

i had the same problem. i got my sportster hardwired and had engine noise everytime i hit the gas pedal. the installers tried everything to get rid of it. finally they swapped out the cradle for a new one and the noise went away.

Greetings! It's a week later & I took a trip to Circuit City for a ground loop isolator. Problem solved! And for the week that just past, I connected the PNP2 to Sportster's identical antenna & power inputs and used the "whine-free" PNP2 which was great as I was spendng a lot of time in the car for my job. Now, the new radio is playing crystal-clear in the car & I just need to find an optimal placement for the PNP2's boom box antenna. Easier said than done!

Thanks for the help, folks.

Ed

PS-if anyone has a 2003 Honda Accord or newer, I have, by necessity, become an expert at getting the console apart. I got the ground loop isolator in place in less than 30 minutes. Happy to spread the intel.

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)