Newbie with DirecTV HD and need advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ptjulie

Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
I currently have 4 Sony DirecTV receivers in my house and I am contemplating upgrading one of them to HD. With that in mind I want to be sure that this can be done. Assuming I purchase a DirecTV HD receiver I would like to know if it would connect to my projector. I am not quite sure on the video outputs of a “typical” DirecTV HD receiver but I do have the input of my project that I hope someone can tell me if it will connect and deliver HD quality programming. Even though my projector states that it is HDTV compatible I am not very familiar with HDTV and want to understand how everything would connect. Again, I am unsure of the output type with a typical DirecTV HD receiver.

Therefore can someone provide the following?

1) Will my setup accept HDTV. How is it connected?

2) If need be where can I purchase the accessories to connect to my projector. Apparently it needs some sort of converter due to the fact that my projector accepts 15-pin D-sub. Where is the best place to purchase such a device?

3) Is HDTV a huge improvement over NTSC? I will be projecting a 6ft (height) x 12ft (width) image. My DVD’s look quite good and I am running S-Video.

4) Any advice on contacting DirecTV? I read a few threads indicating they have some sort of retention group. Any special instructions to make sure I get a good deal. What am I looking at?

5) When I first purchased DirecTV (Pegasus at first then switched to DirecTV this year) I purchased a dish that would be setup for HDTV in the future. That was over 4 years ago and I am not sure on what the guy did when he installed everything. I think and honest don’t remember that he mentioned something about running 2 cables into one room so I could receive it in the future. Do you need two cables to hookup DirecTV. Can someone clarify? What do I need to check?

6) With the DirecTV Sony Receiver I am using currently, it’s connected to my computer (ATI Video card) running BeyondTV by Snapstream. (Sort of like TIVO). When I upgrade my receiver is there any passthrough that I can still connect NTSC TV to my ATI card input for SnapStream to record. Or will it be strictly HDTV and I am out of luck?

7) I also live in the Dallas are (Plano) and heard that local stations will be broadcasting HDTV in the future. Any idea when? I see a small number of stations listed on DirecTV broadcasting HD using the guide but not a huge amount. One thing to note, I am not a huge sports fan.

My video projector is the Optoma EzPro 732B. Here are the specifications:

Display Technology: Single 0.55-inch Double Data Rate DLP technology from Texas Instrument
Resolution: SVGA (800 x 600) native SXGA+ (1,400 x 1,050) compressed
Aspect Ratio: 4:3 native, 5:4 and 16:9 compatible
Input Connections:
PC/Video: 15 pin D-sub input (RGBHV/YPbPr input)
15 pin D-Sub connector to take a SCART RGB signal (sync on the composite line), via an adaptor.

Video:
One mini DIN for S-video connector
One composite RCA type connector
USB Mouse control
One Audio input for every input- (3.5mm Mini Jacks stereo)
Output Connections: 15pin monitor output (passive)

Note: The S-Video connector is connected to my DVD player so I have only the RCA and 15 pin D-sub available and of course a composite input.

Video Compatibility: NTSC: M(3.58MHz),4.43MHz,480i PAL: B, D, G, H, I, M, N SECAM: B, D, G, K, K1, L HDTV: 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i

Optional Accessories: 15-pin to 3 RCA component/HDTV hookup S-video cable 1.8m

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,

Paul J

sounds like a "fishing" post, seen a few of these of late. Maybe not, but who knows all these specs and doesnt know what type of signal their "HD" projector can accept.

I expect that after the answers are provided it'll turn into a "Cable is great post"

"Fishing post” that’s an interesting term. Not sure what a "fishing" post is. I am interested in HDTV and need advice, that's all. I was hoping that someone in the forum could answer my questions. I also understand that it's a rather large post and apologize for the "verboseness" but want to be sure that I give the necessary information regarding my setup. If this is not the appropriate forum to post HDTV questions then please provide me another forum where people can answer HDTV setup questions.

1)IMHO too broad a question. If you have a phase 3 dish and a HD Set top box, and a monitor that will accept HDMI, DVI or Componet then YES

2)Unsure but it appears that your projector will accept componet. use that if you can. if you must use a RGB/VGA 15D-sub connection you can use the HD to DVI cable and then get a DVI to RGB/VGA adapter. I bet you can get one at CompUSA, or Best Buy. My experience says its more common in the PC world then A/V.

3)HDTV is a vast improvement over current TV IMHO.

4)I'd just call and say that you are thinking about switching providers unless they can help you

5)currently 2 coax runs are required for any device that has dual tuners. The only DirecTV HD STB that dual tuners that I am aware of is the HDTIVO. Other then that then only 1 coax run is needed, as far as I know.

6)unsure

7)unsure. try contacting DirecTV, they may have a plan for your city.

Hope my answers have assisted you, but I still think this is going to turn into a "Cable is Great" post

3) Is HDTV a huge improvement over NTSC? Quite simply, Yes.

4) Any advice on contacting DirecTV? Call the retention group at 800-600-8977. They will be able to give you the most credits etc...

5) Do you need two cables to hookup DirecTV. Can someone clarify? What do I need to check? No need for 2 cable for HD, unless you get an HD Tivo. Could also use the 2 runs for an SD Tivo.

6) When I upgrade my receiver is there any passthrough that I can still connect NTSC TV to my ATI card input for SnapStream to record. Or will it be strictly HDTV and I am out of luck? Yes it will pass through. I believe that all of the DirecTV HD receivers simultaneously pass SD as well. I have the Samsung 360 and can attest that the S-vid is passed to my PC while watching HD through DVI to my TV.

7) I also live in the Dallas are (Plano) and heard that local stations will be broadcasting HDTV in the future. Any idea when? Mid year when DirecTV gets their new satellites up, they will transmit HD locals so you will not need an antenna to receive them. In Dallas are we will in the first round of markets.

One other thing. Since my projector is only 800x600 or 1,450 x 1,000 compressed (what ever that means) I won't be able to take full advantage of HDTV. I should have done more research before purchasing the projector but I got it for a good price last summer. However, it will be a bit of improvement over what I am using now.

Also, I crawled up the attic and checked what I had coming from the dish. Apparently there are two cables with each cable housing two other cables. These cables are connectto my 4 T.Vs. Not sure if I need a new dish but I read on this forum that the 3 LNBs dish (newer one) has better receiption (gain) therefore better during hard rains. At any rate, I will probably just add an additional HDTV receiver to my mix there having 4 T.V's and 1 for the projector.

I went to Best Buy on the weekend and they sell HDTV DirectV receivers for about $299 and the newer dish for $59. I hope to get a better price dealing with DirecTV directly.

Thanks again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)