Newbie without a clue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wascoman

Original poster
Sep 12, 2011
North Central Oregon
I'm a Dish Network customer in my home and I have no issues there. I also have and RV and have decided that I want to install satellite TV in that vehicle. So.....

I bought a Dish 211k receiver. I bought a Winegard 1000.2 antenna. I bought a cheap Winegard satellite signal meter.

First problem is attaching the coax to the antenna (the instructions that came with it suck). Do I choose Port 1, Port 2, Port 3, or Additional LNBF (whatever an LNBF is)? Since I only plan to use one TV I chose Port 1. Did I do good?

Then I power up the 211k and my TV defaults to a "Point Dish" screen where I'm given the option of choosing a 300, a 500, or a Super receiver, but mine is a 211k. What do I choose? I chose a 300 - don't ask me why.

It asks me to choose a transponder but I have no idea what to choose. The instructions that came with the antenna said choose a transponder "higher than 11". I chose 12 for no reason.

The "Point Dish" screen gives me satellite choices of 61.5, 110, 119, and 148. The web site for DishNetwork makes mentions of satellite 129 but that's not possible on the "Point Dish" screen. So I choose satellite 119 'cause I saw some mention of it in the instructions.

I live in zip 97063 so the "Point Dish" screen tells me to use an azimuth of 156 degrees and an elevation of 38 degrees. I point the dish accordingly and hook up the Winegard SF1000 satellite finder. BTW, you'd think that Winegard could spend a couple of bucks and get a native English speaker to at least proofread the written instructions for this little jewel.

The Winegard Satellite finder doesn't appear to find anything at azimuth 156, elevation 38 but if I rotate the dish about 15 degrees east or west it beeps like crazy. Should I do that?

Back inside on the TV screen where I'm still looking at the "Point Dish" screen it shows me nothing. Signal strength doesn't even appear on the graph.

There's no explanation of the "Check Switch" option on the "Point Dish" screen so I click it. After quite a while it returns quite a bit of info that I don't understand.

Obviously, I'm in over my head. Dish Network won't talk to me until I'm ready to activate and I can't get to that point until I can make the receiver "see" the antenna.

This is hopeless. It's partly my fault because I know nothing about satellite TV technology but it's more the fault of Dish Network and Winegard for selling products with (pardon the emphasis) piss poor instructions.

Can anyone tell me what to do in clear, simple English - without acronyms like LNBF?

Thanks

Unfortunately Dish in it's infinite wisdom never included the 1000.n antennas in the list coded into the receiver firmware. So you will have to read off the azimuth/elevation/skew numbers from the manual that came with the antenna OR use the DishPointer tab at the top of this forum.

I'm a Dish Network customer in my home and I have no issues there. I also have and RV and have decided that I want to install satellite TV in that vehicle. So.....

I bought a Dish 211k receiver. I bought a Winegard 1000.2 antenna. I bought a cheap Winegard satellite signal meter.

First problem is attaching the coax to the antenna (the instructions that came with it suck). Do I choose Port 1, Port 2, Port 3, or Additional LNBF (whatever an LNBF is)? Since I only plan to use one TV I chose Port 1. Did I do good?

Then I power up the 211k and my TV defaults to a "Point Dish" screen where I'm given the option of choosing a 300, a 500, or a Super receiver, but mine is a 211k. What do I choose? I chose a 300 - don't ask me why.

It asks me to choose a transponder but I have no idea what to choose. The instructions that came with the antenna said choose a transponder "higher than 11". I chose 12 for no reason.

The "Point Dish" screen gives me satellite choices of 61.5, 110, 119, and 148. The web site for DishNetwork makes mentions of satellite 129 but that's not possible on the "Point Dish" screen. So I choose satellite 119 'cause I saw some mention of it in the instructions.

I live in zip 97063 so the "Point Dish" screen tells me to use an azimuth of 156 degrees and an elevation of 38 degrees. I point the dish accordingly and hook up the Winegard SF1000 satellite finder. BTW, you'd think that Winegard could spend a couple of bucks and get a native English speaker to at least proofread the written instructions for this little jewel.

The Winegard Satellite finder doesn't appear to find anything at azimuth 156, elevation 38 but if I rotate the dish about 15 degrees east or west it beeps like crazy. Should I do that?

Back inside on the TV screen where I'm still looking at the "Point Dish" screen it shows me nothing. Signal strength doesn't even appear on the graph.

There's no explanation of the "Check Switch" option on the "Point Dish" screen so I click it. After quite a while it returns quite a bit of info that I don't understand.

Obviously, I'm in over my head. Dish Network won't talk to me until I'm ready to activate and I can't get to that point until I can make the receiver "see" the antenna.

This is hopeless. It's partly my fault because I know nothing about satellite TV technology but it's more the fault of Dish Network and Winegard for selling products with (pardon the emphasis) piss poor instructions.

Can anyone tell me what to do in clear, simple English - without acronyms like LNBF?

Thanks
Dish 500 is right answer not 300. 300 is a single LNBF (low noise block feed - it picks up the sats) unit so it won't understand that there is a switch. Clear memory by removing the sat input (run ck switch) then hook it back up choose the 500 and then it will understand that you have a switch in line. Use dish pointer for the az/el of the 1000.2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts