newby needs some advice / receiver / tv

mainecabin.com

Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
I have dish 500 and am getting ready to go HD. I think I want the Dish 942 receiver.
Do I need a new dish? When Dish upgrades their receivers do I get a free or inexpensive upgrade? Since I must by an HD receiver from Dish to receiver HD, I am considering a TV without an integrated HD receiver. Possibly the Mitsubishi 62327. However picture quality is my utmost concern and will buy a TV with a receiver if need be. Doesn’t make sense to me to own 2 receivers. Is new technology only weeks / months away, should I wait? Please advise what I need to buy / do. Thanks in advance for your help.

Welcome to Sat Guys.

If you want the VOOM HD channels you will need to have a 2nd dish pointed at 61.5 sat or the yet to be released Dish 1000 (which will replace the Dish 500).

Unknown what the upgrade path will be. My guess is not free but discounted.

I don't know about the Mitsubishi.

MPEG4 will not start until the end of the year.

All three of my HDTVs have integrated 8-VSB/QAM tuners...and the lastest one has cable card. It's a personal preference based on whether or not you'll use OTA and/or Cable, but I wouldn't purchase a HDTV without an 8-VSB/QAM tuner.

mainecabin.com said:
... will buy a TV with a receiver if need be. Doesn’t make sense to me to own 2 receivers.
It's the same situation as with NTSC TVs and VCRs. While the 942 and 921 are both dual tuner receivers, they each have only 1 OTA tuner. If you want to record a DTV channel while you watch another DTV channel you'll need a tuner in the DVR and the TV.