Newest live TV bandscan

harshness

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
That you're getting 100% signal on frequencies that are theoretically unused gives a big boost to my suspicion about the HDHomerun tuners being unsuitable for relative signal strength numbers. There may be some TV frequencies being used for other purposes, but not that many.

comfortably_numb

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
That you're getting 100% signal on frequencies that are theoretically unused gives a big boost to my suspicion about the HDHomerun tuners being unsuitable for relative signal strength numbers. There may be some TV frequencies being used for other purposes, but not that many.

It’s not signal strength that I’m concerned about when fine tuning a signal; it’s signal quality. The live bandscan metric shows this as “Curr MER.”

I’ve found this method to be best for aiming an OTA antenna for distant stations, as I cannot afford an expensive professional meter.

harshness

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
It’s not signal strength that I’m concerned about when fine tuning a signal; it’s signal quality
I was thinking about the splitter test that you did in another thread. The HDHomerun seems unsuitable for a comparitive test of strength.

larrykenney

larrykenney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 16, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I've found that signals from the same source register differently on each HD Home Run receiver. There's no way to compare signals from one unit to another.

The newer receivers have better receivers and reject multipath better, but the signal display seems worse that the older models.