News Corp threatens to move Fox to cable-only channel if Aereo isn't shut down

Wow. Talk about shooting themselves in the foot. If they dropped off the air what would all the station owners broadcast, and why would they want to be Fox affiliates? They would just become another run of the mill cable network.

Does anyone know the figures of OTA only viewers? OTA channels already act like cable channels for the most part. Most viewers are already paying a subscription for them as part of their paid TV subscriptions. This isn't going to be that big of a change other than for OTA only subs (which I'm sure the networks see as not paying full freight anyway).

The more interesting thing is what happens to the affiliates. If these become cable channels, will they be national in nature or will they still somehow seek to stick to the current model? What about local programming?

FCC might even invite this as it will free up spectrum for other uses.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

You know what I say,let em.They'll only be hurting themselves.

Yeah, sure they will.

I'm still not 100% sure how this system works.. it's "legal" streaming of local affiliates over the internet?

It seems they could easily do this with prime time programming. Just move the expensive stuff to Fx. It will be a big shock to the eco-system if they tried to pull this with the NFL. I'd have to believe their contracts with the NFL would prohibit this type of move. Furthermore, how would they regionalize the games if it were a cable-only configuration...

Mike:

The cable companies might be able to regionalize it for them. And maybe the NFL games could be on the regional Fox SportsNet.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

Yeah, sure they will.

I'm still not 100% sure how this system works.. it's "legal" streaming of local affiliates over the internet?

Yes, and in my opinion could be Distants. It's based on your antenna receiving signals. This company has an antenna for each subscriber and then puts it on the internet from that antenna to that client never more than one person on an antenna. This is EXACTLY what a slingbox pro can do, and exactly what I do - use my antenna in either Ct. or Fl to see those locals wherever I am. (And why I railed against the new models, no tuner, a stupid move)

I think two things about the FOX statement. 1. They are over reacting. 2. I believe them and think it's a possibility more for them than any of the Networks.

If FOX did this then they probqbly wouldn't be able to take MLB, NASCAR or the NFL with them. So again if they did this they would only be hurting themselves.

BTW I forgot that Chase Carey was a big wig at FOX now... and explains why FOX wants to sue DISH so bad... as you might remember Mr Carey used to be the CEO of another company named DIRECTV. ;)

I don't see them alienating the OTA viewer even though it's only 10 million. Not sure the affiliates would be all that happy either...I don't see anything happening as far as Fox being cable only. It just another example of not being willing to adapt to the future...whatever that holds for tv viewing, years from now. I don't see it being Aereo years from now either. Internet streaming of some kind maybe. It all boils down to $$$$$

Yeah, sure they will.

but you can get them overt the net when you travel.

We will see where this winds up. But I would be very surproised if Fox becomes a cable only channel.

According to the first court ruling yes it is. Wht you are actually doing is renting a tiny dime sized antenna. As faras I know you will only bre ab lre to get your local stations

Again,I say it's all posturing,or to put it bluntly,crying over spilled milk like a little baby.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)