News Corp threatens to move Fox to cable-only channel if Aereo isn't shut down

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Again this service is 8-12/month depending if you want 20 or 40 hours of DVR. Plus you have to have high speed internet. I do not see people running in droves to this service. But then again if it gets upheld as legal, Dish could do the same thing and stream it to your home DVR where you can record.

I still think either way it will be a small service. You would need a decent speed internet to get HD. Then if you lived in a rural area where you could not get OTA, you probably do not have the high speed internet.

The stations are picked up on tiny antenna's then the viewer sees the programming received on that antenna through the internet.

If FOX goes cable/satellite only then that means we can see out of market FOX affiliates?

never happen.
question only 10.9 million < 10% of 114,825,428 households

including 18 million in homes having only over-the-air TV reception
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupon-eligible_converter_box

guesses
5% are just too cheap to pay for tv (see FTA section)
<5% work so much can't justify buying tv.......... not home but to sleep.
10-15 % just don't have the $$.$$

Attachments

• TV-with-rabbit-ears...and-tin-foil-210x300.jpeg
    TV-with-rabbit-ears...and-tin-foil-210x300.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 166
In a way the hopper and aereo are kind of bad. If you watch local OTA you should have commercials to help keep it free. If I payed for tv again then it should be commercial free like similar to satellite radio. Just my opinion.

Dan Rose

In a way the hopper and aereo are kind of bad. If you watch local OTA you should have commercials to help keep it free. If I payed for tv again then it should be commercial free like similar to satellite radio. Just my opinion.

Dan Rose

With Hopper Dish is paying to carry the channel. The station is making some money.

With Aereo you get the commercials. The station is making some money.

Very incomplete story. The whole story is that the major networks, particularly Fox and Univision, are looking at taking stations off the airwaves because of a device that captures OTA feeds and sends them over the internet to devices, such as iphone, etc. without any reimbursement to the broadcaster. So far this device is being tested in NY only. The company plans to expand to 20 cities by the end of the year. The company says it is legal because it is limited to one device per user. We'll see how it plays out in court.

S~

Very incomplete story. The whole story is that the major networks, particularly Fox and Univision, are looking at taking stations off the airwaves because of a device that captures OTA feeds and sends them over the internet to devices, such as iphone, etc. without any reimbursement to the broadcaster. So far this device is being tested in NY only. The company plans to expand to 20 cities by the end of the year. The company says it is legal because it is limited to one device per user. We'll see how it plays out in court.

S~

It's already been ruled legal in court, the networks are appealing the ruling.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Not the same as Slingbox. This particular system, Aereo, that started it all with the major networks, pulls in OTA signals and distributes that to the user.

S~

It's already been ruled legal in court, the networks are appealing the ruling.

Actually it has not been ruled legal, just the judges did not think that the networks would win at trial or be irreparably harmed if Aereo kept offering its service before the trial outcome. The 9th circuit disagreed and ruled against aereokiller.

Remember Dish prevailed over VOOM in the preliminary injunction, but the trial did not look so good.

As Aereo enters more markets, the local stations can sue in other US district courts and the outcome could be different on the preliminary injunction.

So, in some regions there may be injunctions and in others there may not be. The stations will of course be pointing out the 9th district's ruling and Aereo will of course be pointing at the 2nd circuit in each appeals court.

S~

But the internet signal is only available in the area served by those affiliates anyway. The only difference is they (aereo) have the antenna & not the end-user. It's not like me, in Florida can sign up & watch the NYC stations.

Does anyone know the figures of OTA only viewers?

The most recent (unconfirmed) numbers I have seen are about 17% of all households with a TV are getting their signal via OTA. I am one of those, and very interested in this technology. Going to be interested to watch.

The most recent (unconfirmed) numbers I have seen are about 17% of all households with a TV are getting their signal via OTA. I am one of those, and very interested in this technology. Going to be interested to watch.

That number seems high for OTA only.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

why ?
The Census Bureau reports that 46.2 million people were living in poverty in the United States in 2011 -- the largest number of persons counted as poor in the 53 years of poverty measurements

I don't have any empirical data to back that, that's why I said it "seems" high. It's slightly above 1 in 6 households on a percentage basis.

When coupled with the wording of the post I quoted, it was possible to reach a different conclusion.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

I believe pay TV is still running around 90% of households ( http://www.marketingcharts.com/wp/television/broadcast-only-broadband-tv-homes-rising-fast-21076/ lists it at 90.4)

The 17% number is what I believe is households that have at least one TV that is OTA only (i.e. have cable/DBS to the rest of the sets in the house).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts