News from Apple this week

Has anyone here tried Apple News+ yet?
I have not broached the subject with my wife yet. On the surface, $10/mo for all the magazines and a few newspapers you can read sounds appealing, but when I looked through the list of magazines available, Apple doesn't off my car magazine (AutoWeek) and no Smithsonian properties (Smithsonian, Air & Space). I may try the Apple News feed again, but unless Apple offers a similar deal for News+ like they do for ?Music (pay annually and get two months free) it doesn't fit with our household or give us a chance to save money.

Has anyone here tried Apple News+ yet?
I signed up for it on release day. I'll give it the month free trial to determine if it is good enough. So far I like most of what I see and the magazine selections are fine with me. IMO, since you can get a free month's trial, why not just do that?

It appears from the 'net chatter that most of Apple's offerings are going to have some fairly substantial omissions. The TV package will be shunning a lot of live sports if the rumors are true and what the heck is the point of pay TV if you can't at least have access to all the live stuff?

Understanding Apple has always been about learning what they don't offer.

I have not broached the subject with my wife yet. On the surface, $10/mo for all the magazines and a few newspapers you can read sounds appealing, but when I looked through the list of magazines available, Apple doesn't off my car magazine (AutoWeek) and no Smithsonian properties (Smithsonian, Air & Space). I may try the Apple News feed again, but unless Apple offers a similar deal for News+ like they do for ?Music (pay annually and get two months free) it doesn't fit with our household or give us a chance to save money.

If it is cheaper to get one or two of your subscriptions dropped then it is a deal. We were paying $12 a month for local paper. Now I get the Wall Street Journal, a much better deal. Local main News is available for free but I don't get the Classifieds which I never looked at anyway. Over the years I dropped many magazines to just save money and now it is like having them all again. I never liked the free version of News but the paid version doesn't suffer the pay wall so it is a good deal, IMO.

The one Magazine we still subscribe to is "Threads" because my wife likes it for her sewing hobby. She would be happy with a substitute but they offer nothing in the genre. I plan to send a note to Apple to see if they can get that added. Nothing ventured nothing gained, right?

Roland- Air and Space Magazine and Smithsonian Institute is indeed offered. So is Autoweek. Type the magazine names in the search and they pop up. Then select them as your favorites.

The examples I gave and Don search for are Channels in Apple News, but they are not the full magazine subscription available from other magazines through News+. I can get more through the magazines' websites than from the News+ App.

Sure you subscribed to News+ and not just Apple News, the free version? I just brought up Autoweek and there must be thousands of articles that just kept loading as I rapidly scrolled through them. How did you determine the News+ version was missing articles? The format is different from a pdf version of the printed version as it is more like just the articles absent the advertising. I did the same thing with the Wall Street Journal.

I went to the News+ tab of the News App; at the top are two buttons to Browse the ?News+ catalog of available periodicals:
Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 19.25.54 .png

Selecting the "A-M" button shows this around "Auto":
Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 19.28.08 .png

Or, there is a complete list here: A Complete List of All the Magazines Available for Apple News+ in the U.S. (So Far) – MacStories

In sadder news, :tombstone AirPower: Apple cancels AirPower product, citing inability to meet its high standards for hardware

I just saw that the Apple TV Remote App on iOS is much enhanced. One thing I like is the Lock Screen version includes volume control in addition to Play/Pause and Fwd/Rwd.

I signed up for the free trial of News+ I’m sure it will come in handy this Friday when I’m on a bus with my daughter for her field trip to Austin, 4 hours away.

Did News+ dump a lot of magazines today? I’m seeing a lot less to choose from than I had yesterday.

The details are emerging.

Apple paid Qualcomm 4.5-4.7 billion cash, licensed Qualcomm technology, agreed to pay around $7 /phone royalties, and they both dropped all lawsuits around the world including against apple suppliers.

Apparently , the trial documents included written apple memos showing that apple was "conspiring" to make it look like the Qualcomm patents had little value (representing to the court they were not significant while internally reporting qualcomm had the best stuff out there) and were likely colluding to get their suppliers to not buy from qualcomm.

Quite damming and looks like Apple probably got off cheap by settling.

Doubt if it was in their news feed

Sent from S10 Plus
using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: navychop
Apparently , the trial documents included written apple memos showing that apple was "conspiring" to make it look like the Qualcomm patents had little value (representing to the court they were not significant while internally reporting qualcomm had the best stuff out there) and were likely colluding to get their suppliers to not buy from qualcomm.
Let no person hail Apple as a stand-up company.

Apple has only Apple's best interest at heart. Everyone and everything else is the enemy.

Let no person hail Apple as a stand-up company.

Apple has only Apple's best interest at heart. Everyone and everything else is the enemy.
I'm surprised the government has not went after them for monopolistic practices. Similar to when they whacked Microsoft years back.

Even thought Android systems have most of the market, apple has the cream of the market and their apple app restrictions seem slanted to their interests.

Sent from S10 Plus
using the SatelliteGuys app!

Apple's saving grace is they are aren't the dominant player in any particular market. They don't control mobile phones and definitely not personal computers.

Didn’t someone post there was a sale on Apple 4 watches this weekend? I can’t find that post and they don’t seem to be on special pricing in the app.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I gather it’s $50 off at BB and Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Apple's saving grace is they are aren't the dominant player in any particular market. They don't control mobile phones and definitely not personal computers.
Yet they remain in the top few richest companies in the world. They certainly deserve some oversight of their various ethically questionable practices.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts