News from Apple this week

dividends are something Apple started doing relatively recently

3rd qtr of 2012. Calling that relatively recently is a stretch. But the dividend is not that much. The solvency of the company and growth is what motivates long term investors. Serious growth happened with Tim Cook's management.

I can see insurance companies offering discounts to targeted groups for wearing and reporting.
This has been happening for a couple years now.

Fitbit continues to slide from once traded in the mid 40's.
Yet FitBit sales tripled last year. They, along with Samsung and Garmin, have cut into what was a 67% share for the Apple Watch in 2017 to reduce Apple's market share to 51%. The iPhone has experience similar negative growth.
Another company that is set to bite the dust if GoPro. They have not innovated to keep up with what's happening in small action cameras.
Another company using the Apple business model of charging big money while slowing down their innovation.

3rd qtr of 2012. Calling that relatively recently is a stretch.
The company has been publicly traded for almost 39 years but they've been offering dividends for less than 18% of that time.

The stock price's biggest hops came in 1998 (the year Tim Cook joined Apple) and 2004. Since Cook took over, the percentage growth has been less than what it was under Jobs. Such is not to say that he squandered what we was given but it wasn't a turn-around either.

I can't look back to what was done when SJ was CEO. First of all I didn't own any Apple stock until it was clear that Steve was not going to be running Apple due to his Cancer. I bought a small amount in early 2011 and loaded up heavy according to my records in 2012. Steve Jobs had long periods of no growth with short spurts toward the end of his reign. The reason why SJ didn't have favor with the stock investors is he publicly despised stock holders and hated having to address them. Most of the investors back then were zealot cultists who actually didn't know what they owned. SJ didn't believe in dividends or stock buybacks, a shareholder benefit. Tim Cook vowed to change that and has delivered. I suppose you could parse the growth and jimmy up the numbers anyway you want but I am more interested in what it has done for my portfolio. It has been the best performer year after year and I have no complaints. I made a big mistake last October by holding onto my shares. but this past week I learned from that mistake and sold all but 416 shares above $200. I sold off another 200 shares at $204. All long positions in my Roth IRA, except what was bought in 2019 under the DRIP program. Monday I started to buy back when I saw the stock was returning to the 190's. I most likely won't be buying it all back because I was really holding too much which was violating diversity rules.

I don't claim that stock buyback is a good thing as it creates the image that the company has no vision for the future. However, Apple has been able to do both growth and share buybacks because of the leadership of Tim Cook. While I like some of the products for what they do, I dislike others. The ipod was a waste, IMO, but the ipad was very well designed but the watch is the best. Nothing better out there and I've tried a few. While I may niot like some of Apple's products, I respect that many people do and that's why the stock works for me.

I was hoping that you jumped off closer to $217 but at least you didn't suffer the full slide; that was brutal.

I suppose that Cook has made things much more interesting (in the Chinese curse sense) for those who have always seen AAPL as a growth stock. The dividends aren't breaking any records but it makes it a slightly different kind of investment.

The latest numbers show that FitBit slipped from 15.2% to 9.8% of the global smart watch market share while Samsung went from 10.5% to 15.9%.

My sister loves her Gear, and I like the one she has (tall screen built into the band design which goes beyond traditional watch design thinking.)

The next quarter should be good for Apple, assuming the outside market interferences don't have too big of an impact.
Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 09.57.43.png

I was hoping that you jumped off closer to $217 but at least you didn't suffer the full slide; that was brutal.

I did OK, but had I dumped out last October 1 I might have gained much more as the high was $234. Either way in today's selloff Apple actually held up quite well compared to Tesla and Amazon. If Apple goes below 175 I'll buy more. I saved a little cash for that time but if now, I'm now pleased with what I have.

On Apple's dividend, most Long investors tend to sell covered Call options which can enhance that return another dollar or two per share on the 1-2 Month options contract.

I don't own any Samsung stock. Too difficult to figure since they have had too little growth and the company is too confusing. I looked at the Technical analysis and decided the money is better in places like Amazon and Google.

Apple and China is interesting. Tim Cook has dropped some strong hints about moving primary assembly out of China if the trade war persists. So far, it hasn't affected Apple $ other than the FUD and its share price. And that just makes the stock buybacks more favorable.

My sister loves her Gear, and I like the one she has (tall screen built into the band design which goes beyond traditional watch design thinking.)
I didn't know Samsung made a non round smartwatch so I had to look it up. It's called the FIT 2 and is much smaller. I think they are trying to compete with the FitBit competition.

Apple and China is interesting. Tim Cook has dropped some strong hints about moving primary assembly out of China if the trade war persists.
Tim Cook has dropped numerous hints about making good on his promises to Austin, Texas but it has only worsened since then. What job listings that Apple has seem to be for technical support and business operations rather than skilled (high-paying) technical positions.

Forbes ran a rather slanted article Monday about consumers getting bored with the lack of innovation at Apple: Apple's iPhone Nightmare Is Coming True

The same author penned an article today deriding Apple for offering a 64GB iPhone 11 model. I don't disagree with what he says, but the "contributors" as a whole have nothing good to say about Apple as a brand and that's unfair.

I don't think the consumers are going to care one way or the other as most will bend over and pay to update (upgrade is probably too strong a term) but casual investors may be concerned about customer excitement/satisfaction.

I make an effort to separate my opinion on the stock, Tim Cook's management and the products at Apple.

It took be quite awhile to understand why Apple products are so well liked by those who made the effort to switch from the PC and Korean made Android phones. Having been on the side of the Korean phone in the past, and now with iphone I appreciate how simple and trouble free basic use requirements are. But as I have said for really robust needs, I know the PC is a far better choice. The thing is most people don't need that level of computer as they stick to simple requirements.

Tim Cook is probably the best CEO ever. Far be it for me to tell him what's best for Apple, present and future. These Apple critics usually have a personal axe to grind because they have lost something and they hold a grudge. I find they often aren't thinking with a full deck between the ears. They make outrageous claims, often taken out of context, but when history proves how wrong they are, go into hiding with what they said and continue to deride Tim's performance predicting more doom and gloom.

The same author penned an article today deriding Apple for offering a 64GB iPhone 11 model.
There is no iphone 11 yet. The latest is iphone Xs, iphone Xs Max, and iphone XR. Maybe a really bad typo or he is so wrapped up in his hate for Apple that he isn't thinking with a full deck.

Today's media has evolved into a new form of journalism. Write an absurd and stupid article full of derogatory and hate and you can get published because the editors know outlandish lies sells magazines to like minded hate filled readers. Please note, I based my comments on your post because it tells me that I would waste my time reading the linked Forbes article. I get enough of these nay saying articles every day from Market Watch. I read those as they indicate buy points for Apple stock. The goal is to drive the price down so they can sneak in and purchase for a short gain when the effect of their article wears off. The only sell times is when the stock has had such a good run it wrecks my diversification rule so I have to sell off some and pocket the gains. It's the only company stock I own that works like that.

harshness- it's not fair or unfair that bothers me, It's the obvious false statements in many of these articles that I don't want to waste my time with. I'll stick to a negative story that presents data to back up opinion. So far Apple's data looks damn good to me. A good source for critical articles written by professional analysts, is a free online service called "Seeking Alpha." You won't see too many articles on Apple because most know why the company is the best run in the world.

I make an effort to separate my opinion on the stock, Tim Cook's management and the products at Apple.
I'm not sure how far apart you can separate the common stock and Cook's management. I know everyone likes what Tim Cook says, but there's often a bit of a disconnect between what he says and reality.
Tim Cook is probably the best CEO ever.
I strongly disagree, but that's OK for both of us and isn't likely to have an impact on anyone's bottom line.
I find they often aren't thinking with a full deck between the ears. They make outrageous claims, often taken out of context, but when history proves how wrong they are, go into hiding with what they said and continue to deride Tim's performance predicting more doom and gloom.
This is a terrible thing to say. You shouldn't suggest that detractors are necessarily wrong and/or half-witted. They may be much smarter than you and they may be better informed than you (or not).
There is no iphone 11 yet. The latest is iphone Xs, iphone Xs Max, and iphone XR.
What is known about what the iPhone 11 is likely to be (or not be) is pretty well pinned down at this point. Apple is terrible at managing leaks. The rumor mill places the introduction at about 35 days from today so it is much too late to make substantial changes.
harshness- it's not fair or unfair that bothers me, It's the obvious false statements in many of these articles that I don't want to waste my time with.
One man's false statements is another man's SEC filings. To say that everything Apple is 100% shiny is false. To say that it is dripping with scum is also false, but Apple isn't at the top of its game right now so the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Well I never said everything Apple is 100% shiny. But I did say in the past that of all the stocks I have bought in the past 12 years, Apple has performed the best by a very wide margin. Some things even with the iphone I found rather silly, such as the naming change. The ipad is even worse. But with that said, one thing is certain, the Apple haters and their so called smart people get it wrong because they don't understand the fundamentals and in my mind that doesn't make them very smart. It just tells me they allow their emotions to sway their analysis. I work at avoiding that and view the data. But I don't claim to be perfect but if I followed the "smart" people, I wouldn't have done so well with Apple.

So who do you think is the smartest CEO in the world? Just recently the numbers of jobs supported by Apple products and services was reported at 2.4 million in the US with 90,000 employed directly in the US. It is 4 times the number from 8 years ago. It's not only the fact that Apple is one of the top cash generators in the world, it also is one of the top job creators in employees and suppliers.

So since you are so certain you know everything about the next iphone you say is being announced in 35 days. when is it? iphone 11 or iphone XI pronounced "eleven"? :)

But I did say in the past that of all the stocks I have bought in the past 12 years, Apple has performed the best by a very wide margin.
There you go again asserting that your personal experience is indicative of what everyone else should be experiencing or doing.
But with that said, one thing is certain, the Apple haters and their so called smart people get it wrong because they don't understand the fundamentals and in my mind that doesn't make them very smart.
This may be a side-effect of Apple deciding not to publish numbers.
I work at avoiding that and view the data.
Alas, Apple is not big on sharing numbers the minute that the numbers no longer work in their favor or they may be taxable.
So who do you think is the smartest CEO in the world?
"Smartest" needs to be defined . Is smart a matter of having the highest IQ, innate sense of what's going on, shrewdness or ruthlessness? According to one CEO magazine, that may be the CEO of Walmart, Doug McMillan. According to Warren Buffett, it is likely Jeff Bezos of Amazon who places Cook at #4. Cook is probably in the top five of US CEOs in terms of performance but there are many nipping at his heels.
So since you are so certain you know everything about the next iphone you say is being announced in 35 days. when is it? iphone 11 or iphone XI pronounced "eleven"? :)
That may be the only question that hasn't been answered but I'm going to go with 11 because the roman numeral product line was not a proud moment in Apple history and they appear to have gone away from the X-line model designations in favor of more conventional ones (iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Max).

In any event, these phones may be better known for what they don't deliver than what they do.

That may be the only question that hasn't been answered but I'm going to go with 11 because the roman numeral product line was not a proud moment in Apple history and they appear to have gone away from the X-line model designations in favor of more conventional ones (iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Max).
Aw, and here I was hoping that Apple would have relaxed their prudish App Guidelines in time for the iPhone XXX :D

Reactions: navychop
"Smartest" needs to be defined . Is smart a matter of having the highest IQ, innate sense of what's going on, shrewdness or ruthlessness? According to one CEO magazine, that may be the CEO of Walmart, Doug McMillan. According to Warren Buffett, it is likely Jeff Bezos of Amazon who places Cook at #4. Cook is probably in the top five of US CEOs in terms of performance but there are many nipping at his heels.

This falls into that category of: Would you rather be considered an idiot by a genius, a genius by an idiot, an idiot by another idiot, or a genius by another genius? In your case, I would say you break that and the only one to qualify would be one you approve of by your own rules.

Jeff Bezos genius had upset the retail industry for sure. But he has not created a cash pile like Tim Cook has. Still, I like his bold way he did that. I not only do most of my shopping by Amazon, but I also own quite a bit of stock in Amazon. It represents #6 in my all time profit centers. Apple remains #1, even after I sold 88% of my holdings only to buy back 25% of it when it dropped last month. This past week it took number one place already! Amazon remains in #18 of 23 stocks I have now. I sold off all of it at the last peak and bought even more back as it hit bottom. The recovery is there but much slower than Apple. I still haven't bought back Google. Might have to pass at this period in time as I'm almost cashed empty. and, yes, I do rate based on my return.

There you go again asserting that your personal experience is indicative of what everyone else should be experiencing or doing.

Everyone is welcome to get on the train of growth with these companies. But most people are too afraid, let their emotions limit them. Whether you can invest large or small, I wish all my friends, including you grow and profit. Most likely you are an investor if you have a managed 401K plan.

Should be interesting who wins the space race at NASA. Based on what I learned last week with my visit to KSC, Bezos and Musk are really trash talking each other. The tour guide said it is the biggest talk of the town now. Odds are on Bezos' side. Then there is Boeing, much much smaller footprint but but quietly winning and performing NASA contracts.

Alas, Apple is not big on sharing numbers the minute that the numbers no longer work in their favor or they may be taxable.
There is always a criticism when a company changes it's guidance reporting. But, the problem needed to be fixed as numbers were being used to inaccurately report company performance. Much better to focus on revenue $ale$ as opposed to unit numbers. This is obvious if you accept that Apple is not an iphone company anymore. The product line is too diversified to rate the company performance on unit numbers of one product. The analysts Q&A were getting so crazy before Apple changed. One analyst criticized Cook for not breaking the numbers out between various models of iphones. It got too silly. Today, with a rapidly growing services end of the business it just makes sense to look at the bigger picture, revenue and growth %, and EBIDTA. I don't buy Apple stock for iphone sales, I buy Apple stock for return on my investment. I buy an iphone because it works flawlessly with my Apple Watch.

But he has not created a cash pile like Tim Cook has.
What is desirable about having a cash pile? Should it not be invested in something? I see cash as a refuge rather than a business tool.
There is always a criticism when a company changes it's guidance reporting. But, the problem needed to be fixed as numbers were being used to inaccurately report company performance. Much better to focus on revenue $ale$ as opposed to unit numbers.
You say you study the numbers but you defend Apple for not being forthcoming with specific numbers. Someone who is surveying the company surely wants to know that is isn't a one trick pony that shifts their fortunes from one product to another. In my mind, Apple is ceding many of its positions while not making up for it elsewhere.
The product line is too diversified to rate the company performance on unit numbers of one product.
What lines of products does Apple offer that will sustain them when the current ones fall completely behind?

There is no iphone 11 yet. The latest is iphone Xs, iphone Xs Max, and iphone XR. Maybe a really bad typo or he is so wrapped up in his hate for Apple that he isn't thinking with a full deck.

The same author penned an article today deriding Apple for offering a 64GB iPhone 11 model. I don't disagree with what he says, but the "contributors" as a whole have nothing good to say about Apple as a brand and that's unfair.

We will know on Tuesday. I saw on CNBC that the "iphone 11" will have a pro model with a 3 lens camera.

I would upgrade my airpods if they made colors. I want flesh tone so they don't look so obvious. I also want a better hearing aid function so I can wear just the right ear which needs a hearing aid.

Last year was my big upgrade year so this year is a pass. Wife still likes her SE but I know she would love a wireless charger and face detection.

I think that Apple should go with "iPhone Xi" as a blatant appeal to the Chinese market ;)

Personally, I'm more interested in the non-iPhone announcements, possibly an Watch Series 5 in Titanium. There is a rumor of a refreshed TV 4K with the A12 processor.

I would imagine they're in overdrive re-jiggering the script to detail any advances in security that they're planning.

I note that they're also going to be live streaming this one on YouTube. More support for the "how will you keep them beholden" question I asked earlier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)