Nexstar dispute looming...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Lilly Broadcasting and DISH have an agreement which allows DISH to provide our programming to their subscribers. There is a possibility that this agreement may not be renewed. This will affect thousands of WICU, WSEE and CW Network viewers who subscribe to DISH Network. We have found it necessary to alert all DISH Network viewers they need to prepare to find our local content through alternative sources to view our quality programming uninterrupted.
WJET and DISH have a contract that allows them to carry our programming to you. That contract expires Wednesday, December 2nd, and if the contract is not renewed with a new agreement, DISH might remove WJET from your schedule. WJET has presented a proposal for fair value, based on the importance and value our programming brings to our viewers. Despite our tireless efforts, DISH has refused our fair offer and is making negotiations very difficult. You might have seen them do this before. They will tell you it’s for your benefit, but don’t believe it. Our offer is fair. And now they hold you the subscriber hostage. It’s not right.
WFXP owned by Mission broadcasting,run by Nexstar has been gone from Dish sense september
The Erie,Pa. market will all be gone soon from Dish

I thank you, and appreciate your post.

“Fair” is in the eye of the beholder.

How do you respond to those that say satcos provide more eyes for your advertisers, and thereby should pay nothing?

Reactions: pattykay

How do you respond to those that say satcos provide more eyes for your advertisers, and thereby should pay nothing?
I know the counter-argument to that. If viewers only had OTA available, with no other alternatives, then they would be more likely to watch each local channel for more hours (making those channels more valuable to advertisers) since there would be nothing else on TV. Satcos, and cable companies, provide hundreds of additional channels to compete against those local channels, thus luring away viewers, and taking away those advertising dollars. Any additional eyeballs gained by providing the local channels to viewers who could not get them OTA, would be more than offset by the lost eyeballs from viewers who choose to watch something else.

Lilly Broadcasting and DISH have an agreement which allows DISH to provide our programming to their subscribers. There is a possibility that this agreement may not be renewed. This will affect thousands of WICU, WSEE and CW Network viewers who subscribe to DISH Network. We have found it necessary to alert all DISH Network viewers they need to prepare to find our local content through alternative sources to view our quality programming uninterrupted.
WJET and DISH have a contract that allows them to carry our programming to you. That contract expires Wednesday, December 2nd, and if the contract is not renewed with a new agreement, DISH might remove WJET from your schedule. WJET has presented a proposal for fair value, based on the importance and value our programming brings to our viewers. Despite our tireless efforts, DISH has refused our fair offer and is making negotiations very difficult. You might have seen them do this before. They will tell you it’s for your benefit, but don’t believe it. Our offer is fair. And now they hold you the subscriber hostage. It’s not right.
WFXP owned by Mission broadcasting,run by Nexstar has been gone from Dish sense september
The Erie,Pa. market will all be gone soon from Dish

I would like to hear some relative numbers as to your “fair value”. Is it more than, the same as or less than the previous contract? If it’s more how much more %? How long are you offering this fair value commitment for? Answers to those questions would be helpful to the public.

IMHO the answer should be either exactly the same as the prior contract or a minimal, very minimal, increase.

I think this time the public is going to overwhelmingly side with Dish unless Nextar comes out with a compelling case. I get the feeling Nextar is going to lose this battle with Dish. I don’t care as I’ll just go OTA. Should have done it a long time ago anyway. Downside is I don’t trust the Dish OTA adapters but if I lose it from the hopper, fine. I’ll go it without Nexstar. Fug em

I know the counter-argument to that. If viewers only had OTA available, with no other alternatives, then they would be more likely to watch each local channel for more hours (making those channels more valuable to advertisers) since there would be nothing else on TV. Satcos, and cable companies, provide hundreds of additional channels to compete against those local channels, thus luring away viewers, and taking away those advertising dollars. Any additional eyeballs gained by providing the local channels to viewers who could not get them OTA, would be more than offset by the lost eyeballs from viewers who choose to watch something else.

Even without the hundreds of channels on cable/satellite, now the viewer with high speed has thousands of channels, especially if you have a Roku or Fire stick. The networks do have a lot of competition.

I'd like to see all of the providers drop local carriages...What was everyone doing before locals on satellite? Back when I first got Dish and Direct there was no local channels until they were forced to carry them..I installed a 60ft tower with a Winegard 8200 and cm pre-amp for locals in the mid 90's on my first house just to have tv because there was no cable.I know some will complain that they are too far away to receive OTA signals and now you have no choices.Thats the price of living remote..

I'd like to see all of the providers drop local carriages...What was everyone doing before locals on satellite? Back when I first got Dish and Direct there was no local channels until they were forced to carry them..I installed a 60ft tower with a Winegard 8200 and cm pre-amp for locals in the mid 90's on my first house just to have tv because there was no cable.I know some will complain that they are too far away to receive OTA signals and now you have no choices.Thats the price of living remote..
But it should not have to be. The technology is there and while there is some cost to retransmit my belief is that it is all greed and not the actual cost. No one cares about the customer anymore for the most part. The SAT industry gained it foothold with the LIVING REMOTE customers. I get they the Sat industry is held hostage to some extent but it is just dad.

No stations have been lost in SW Florida (Naples / Fort Myers)
Okay. My standard for that list was based on whether the guide data for the OTA channels is linked to the satellite-delivered version's guide data. James's OTA guide list for Fort Myers looked incomplete, so I was guessing that a dispute may be upcoming. As you can see in the following chart, the OTA guide list does not even start until channel 30-01. So, if you are getting OTA guide data for WINK, WANA, WBBH, and WZVN, then those must be separate guide data streams that are not tied to the satellite local channels. Dish would normally only use separate guide data streams for the OTA channels in anticipation of a dispute, to make sure that OTA viewers do not lose the guide data when the satellite feeds get dropped.
Fort Myers, FL
11-00​
WINKFORT MYERS, FL (CBS) -9216 SD 110° 4s1 A () 5171 HD 129° 4s54 A (cbs)5171 HD 61.5° 26s41 A (cbs)
14-00​
WANANAPLES, FL (AZTECA) -9224 SD 110° 4s1 A9224 SD 61.5° 26s41 A
20-00​
WBBHFORT MYERS, FL (NBC) -9217 SD 110° 4s1 A () 5172 HD 129° 4s54 A (nbc)5172 HD 61.5° 26s41 A (nbc)
26-00​
WZVNNAPLES, FL (ABC) -9215 SD 110° 4s1 A () 5170 HD 129° 4s54 A (abc)5170 HD 61.5° 26s41 A (abc)
30-00​
WGCUFORT MYERS, FL (PBS) -9221 SD 110° 4s1 A () 5174 HD 129° 4s54 A ()5174 HD 61.5° 26s41 A ()
36-00​
WFTXCAPE CORAL, FL (FOX) -9218 SD 110° 4s1 A () 5173 HD 129° 4s54 A (fox)5173 HD 61.5° 26s41 A (fox)
46-00​
WXCWNAPLES, FL (CW) -9219 SD 110° 4s1 A 5175 HD 129° 4s54 A5175 HD 61.5° 26s41 A
49-00​
WRXYTICE, FL -9222 SD 110° 4s1 A9222 SD 61.5° 26s41 A
51-00​
WLZEFORT MYERS, FL -9220 SD 110° 4s1 A9220 SD 61.5° 26s41 A
OTA Program Guide Data:
30-01​
WGCU TSID 0x023F, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 5174/9221)
30-02​
WGCU2 TSID 0x023F, Subchannel 02 (DISH Channel 14257)
30-03​
WGCU3 TSID 0x023F, Subchannel 03 (DISH Channel 14259)
36-01​
WFTX TSID 0x022B, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 5173/9218)
46-01​
WXCW TSID 0x028B, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 5175/9219)
49-01​
WRXY TSID 0x02CF, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 9222)
51-01​
WLZE TSID 0x0081, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 9220)
51-02​
KAFT2 TSID 0x0081, Subchannel 02 (DISH Channel 14546)
51-03​
KAFT3 TSID 0x0081, Subchannel 03 (DISH Channel 14547)
51-04​
KAFT4 TSID 0x0081, Subchannel 04 (DISH Channel 14548)

Reactions: Howard Simmons
I decided to look it up. As best as I can tell from James Long's list ( Local Channels on DISH Network (Unofficial Listing) ) the markets with no disputes on Dish are as follows:

Albany, GA
Anchorage, AK
Baltimore, MD
Beaumont-Port Arthur, TX
Biloxi/Gulfport, MS
Boise, ID
Bowling Green, KY
Butte, MT
Casper, WY
Cedar Rapids, IA
Chattanooga, TN
Cheyenne, WY
Chico/Redding, CA
Cincinnati, OH
Columbia, SC
Columbus/Tupelo, MS
Detroit, MI
Fairbanks, AK
Gainesville, FL
Jonesboro, AR
Lake Charles, LA
Larado, TX
Lima, OH
Madison, WI
Missoula, MT
Montgomery, AL
North Platte, NE
Ottumwa, IA/Kirksville, MO
Paducah, KY/Harrisburg, IL
Parkersburg, WV
Phoenix, AZ
Portland, ME
Quincy, IL/Hannibal, MO
Sherman, TX/Ada, OK
South Bend, IN
Tallahassee, FL
Toledo, OH
Traverse City, MI
Tucson, AZ
Twin Falls, ID
West Palm Beach, FL
Wilmington, NC

It is kind of sad when it is easier to list the markets without any dispute than it is to list all of the markets with a dispute.
crodrules you ROCK!! Thank you for the list.:hail:hail:first

• Love

I think that the broadcasters would say that their programming brings customers to the satcos and cable companies. No one forces them to carry local broadcasts but if they want it and the customers it brings they have to pay for
t it

I think that the broadcasters would say that their programming brings customers to the satcos and cable companies. No one forces them to carry local broadcasts but if they want it and the customers it brings they have to pay for
t it

Nexstar brings virtually nobody to sat. OTA for almost all of their channels is easy enough to get. Fug those wankers.

crodrules you ROCK!! Thank you for the list.:hail:hail:first
You're welcome! I thought that it might be a good list of markets to "move" your service address to, for those who have that option (are within the spotbeam) and want to get the networks. Cincinnati is CONUS on the 77 satellite. However, some of the markets on the list have their own unique issues/quirks that do not count as disputes, as such. Dish's Cincinnati and Toledo local packages both lack the CW affiliates. This is because in each market, CW airs on a subchannel which Dish has never carried. So, it is not missing due to a dispute, but rather was simply never there in the first place.

They sure are. WSOC and WAXN are off Dish. Along with WJZY Fox and WMYT thanks to Nexstar.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

You're welcome! I thought that it might be a good list of markets to "move" your service address to, for those who have that option (are within the spotbeam) and want to get the networks. Cincinnati is CONUS on the 77 satellite. However, some of the markets on the list have their own unique issues/quirks that do not count as disputes, as such. Dish's Cincinnati and Toledo local packages both lack the CW affiliates. This is because in each market, CW airs on a subchannel which Dish has never carried. So, it is not missing due to a dispute, but rather was simply never there in the first place.
Another option that's not spotbeam restricted is to "move" your service address to one of the CONUS fed locals. I haven't verified this list lately though. Check here first: Local Channels on DISH Network (Unofficial Listing)

Markets with CONUS locals on DISH:

DMA Sat

Baltimore, MD (SD) 119
Billings, MT (HD) 129
Casper, WY (HD) 77
Charlottesville, VA (HD) 77
Cincinnati, OH (HD) 77
Davenport, IA (HD) 77
Evansville, IN (HD) 77
Ft Wayne, IN (HD) 61.5
Great Falls, MT (SD) 119
Lexington, KY (HD) 77
Little Rock, AR (HD) 77
Louisville, KY(HD) 77
New York City (SD) 119
Paducah, KY(HD) 77
Sacramento, CA (HD) 119
Springfield, MO (HD) 77

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)