Nexstar dispute looming...

WGN America - channel 239 is where the scrolling message is at
Really? Wow. I only watch WGN America on occasion for Newsnation otherwise it doesn't interest me at all so if it disappears, c'est la vie.

I remember the first time I got cable in the 80s...my 42 channel Hamlin...back then WGN was indispensable along with WTBS and WOR. Not anymore.

hm2f84hw2bu31.jpg

I think we have pretty much gotten to that point now. Dish has already said recently that the dropped Apollo stations are likely never coming back, since subscribers have other ways to access the programming on them. Also, for at least a couple of years now, Dish's Zanesville local package has been Zanesville-in-name-only, since Dish refuses to come to an agreement with WHIZ, Zanesville's NBC affiliate which is the only station actually in their market. All the rest of the networks are fill-in "distants" from Columbus. It really makes me wonder why Zanesville still needs to have its own separate market at all. Just merge the Zanesville DMA into the Columbus DMA, and be done with it.
Being in Zanesville - I agree. Impossible to get WCMH (NBC) in Columbus. Difficult in my location, using a 35' outdoor antenna, good RG6 and iffy with wet or windy conditions - plus I am only 4 miles from the tower. Seemingly I'm in the shadow and have a weak signal. Lot of hills here.

Being in Zanesville - I agree. Impossible to get WCMH (NBC) in Columbus. Difficult in my location, using a 35' outdoor antenna, good RG6 and iffy with wet or windy conditions - plus I am only 4 miles from the tower. Seemingly I'm in the shadow and have a weak signal. Lot of hills here.
It's also possible you have too much signal. Are you using your television or your Dish receiver to check reception? I've found TVs will pull in signals my Dish receivers don't.

If you haven't tried yet, you can attenuate the signal. The easy way to cut the antenna signal in half is to put an RF splitter in the line (<$10 at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc). You can also cut the signal by putting in an attenuator. Like this: Amazon product ASIN B0013L56OKWhat the heck, I can't link to Amazon any more (it comes up blank)? Search Amazon for: "

10 DB Attenuator Pad - 1 Each"​

It's also possible you have too much signal. Are you using your television or your Dish receiver to check reception? I've found TVs will pull in signals my Dish receivers don't.

If you haven't tried yet, you can attenuate the signal. The easy way to cut the antenna signal in half is to put an RF splitter in the line (<$10 at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc). You can also cut the signal by putting in an attenuator. Like this: Amazon product ASIN B0013L56OKWhat the heck, I can't link to Amazon any more (it comes up blank)? Search Amazon for: "

10 DB Attenuator Pad - 1 Each"​

I see the link. If you have certain ad-blockers or pop-up blockers enabled, then Amazon links will not show up, if I remember correctly.

$4.71? If 43701 needs an attenuator, I could mail one there cheaper than that. :)

Is your OTA guide already missing for these channels? If you still have OTA guide data now, then that was the entire point of this uplink: to ensure that you will continue to have this same guide data stream after the locals get pulled off the satellite.
The Dish provided guide data is inaccurate because both stations are part of a channel sharing agreement.

Today, Dish uplinked a bunch of separate OTA guide data streams, and removed the OTA mapdowns from the satellite-delivered feeds of the Nexstar-owned stations:

So by now, we all know what this means: Dish is preparing for yet another local channel dispute.
If it happens, two of my Locals will be taken off due to disputes with Dish/Mission, and Dish with Mission. There was a Dispute between Dish/Mission months ago, then the Pandemic with COVID19 began, and Dish/Mission came to an agreement, but then a few weeks ago, they resumed the dispute again even with the Pandemic. Now, there is this dispute between Dish/Nexstar, but luckily, I have an OTA, and I still have my Locals, even if it with an OTA.

I wouldn't say impossible... I'm 15miles NE of Zanesville and have no problem picking up Columbus locals with OTA.. Depends on your equipment..I have a Televes antenna only about 30ft high

If it happens, two of my Locals will be taken off due to disputes with Dish/Mission, and Dish with Mission. There was a Dispute between Dish/Mission months ago, then the Pandemic with COVID19 began, and Dish/Mission came to an agreement, but then a few weeks ago, they resumed the dispute again even with the Pandemic. Now, there is this dispute between Dish/Nexstar, but luckily, I have an OTA, and I still have my Locals, even if it with an OTA.
Speaking of the Mission dispute...
WPIX was recently taken off Dish due to the Scripps dispute, and now Scripps is in the process of selling WPIX to Mission. So, Dish may end up losing WPIX again, while two other superstations (KTLA and KWGN) would also be missing due to the Nexstar dispute. During the Scripps dispute, Scripps claimed that Dish was asking for special terms that were not standard for the market. So, it makes me wonder if WPIX was a sticking point. In other words, did Dish try to get special terms that would survive even after the sale of the station to Mission, in an attempt to avoid losing WPIX again so soon after getting it back?

Lilly Broadcasting and DISH have an agreement which allows DISH to provide our programming to their subscribers. There is a possibility that this agreement may not be renewed. This will affect thousands of WICU, WSEE and CW Network viewers who subscribe to DISH Network. We have found it necessary to alert all DISH Network viewers they need to prepare to find our local content through alternative sources to view our quality programming uninterrupted.
WJET and DISH have a contract that allows them to carry our programming to you. That contract expires Wednesday, December 2nd, and if the contract is not renewed with a new agreement, DISH might remove WJET from your schedule. WJET has presented a proposal for fair value, based on the importance and value our programming brings to our viewers. Despite our tireless efforts, DISH has refused our fair offer and is making negotiations very difficult. You might have seen them do this before. They will tell you it’s for your benefit, but don’t believe it. Our offer is fair. And now they hold you the subscriber hostage. It’s not right.
WFXP owned by Mission broadcasting,run by Nexstar has been gone from Dish sense september
The Erie,Pa. market will all be gone soon from Dish

WFXP owned by Mission broadcasting,run by Nexstar has been gone from Dish sense september
Wow, double whammy! :eek:
The Erie,Pa. market will all be gone soon from Dish
I had been wondering why it looked like Dish was uplinking separate OTA guide data streams for every channel in the Erie, PA market, rather than linking the OTA guide data to the satellite local feeds. I thought that maybe it was a test market for Dish to experiment, about finally fixing some of the many issues with incorrect OTA guide data. Now I know that there are simply that many simultaneous disputes affecting that market. Thanks for posting this.

Here is James Long's updated list for what Dish currently carries in Erie:
Erie, PA
3-00​
WBEPERIE, PA (CW) -7048 SD 129° 6s25 A 5257 HD 129° 3s25 A
5-00​
WSEEERIE, PA (CBS) -7042 SD 129° 6s25 A () 5251 HD 129° 8s25 A (cbs)
12-00​
WICUERIE, PA (NBC) -7043 SD 129° 6s25 A () 5252 HD 129° 8s25 A (nbc)
24-00​
WJETERIE, PA (ABC) -7041 SD 129° 6s25 A () 5250 HD 129° 8s25 A (abc)
25-00​
MESG -5074 SD 119° 14 A5074 SD 72.7° 15 A
37-00​
MESG -6205 SD 110° 10 A6205 SD 72.7° 9 A
54-00​
WQLNERIE, PA (PBS) -7047 SD 129° 6s25 A () 5256 HD 129° 3s25 A ()
66-00​
LOCALCARRIAGE DISPUTE -7044 SD 129° 6s25 A () 5253 HD 129° 8s25 A (fox)
OTA Program Guide Data:
5-03​
WSEE3 TSID 0x099D, Subchannel 03 (DISH Channel 15213)
54-01​
WQLN TSID 0x099F, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 5256/7047)
[Note that, for some reason, the OTA Program Guide Data section does not list the separate OTA guide data streams that Dish has uplinked (except subchannel ones). For the main channels, it only lists the ones that are actually linked to the guide data for the satellite-delivered locals. This makes it look like Dish is down to just PBS (WQLN) plus OTA guide data for one of WSEE's subchannels.]

Reactions: Albiondon
Everyone is talking about how many stations they're losing because of Nexstar etc. Here's a question: I wonder how many people on Dish have all their local networks and are not affected w/o OTA?
I do and I switched all of my scheduled recordings to my OTA channel which is a CBS station.
I think Howard was asking (after the Nexstar stations get pulled) how many markets still have all of their locals on Dish? In other words, how many people do not have to use OTA to get them?

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Everyone is talking about how many stations they're losing because of Nexstar etc. Here's a question: I wonder how many people on Dish have all their local networks and are not affected w/o OTA?
I have an OTA antenna, where I get Portland locals, so losing Nexstar does not affect me. I do have to go to my Recast to get a accurate guide though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)