Nexstar Media Group forces blackout of nearly 5.4 million DISH customers

Anticipate charges and do it once a year?
Yes. For the channels that are still under contract, those incremental rate increases are already known in advance. For the channels that have upcoming negotiations, Dish already has a pretty good idea of what rates Dish is willing to accept. So, either the broadcasters meet those rates (or come reasonably close) or the channels get dropped until the broadcasters' demands get lowered to something closer to the rate Dish wants.

Yeah I am. After I delete the religious and shopping channels, I have 27 channels from the Detroit DMA and about 5 from the Toledo DMA.

I run the Detroit DMA channels through the house like a small MATV system.
May not have that many more channels with Dish or DTV once you delete the religious and shopping channels

Yeah, if programming is there to handle it - rates change frequently. When you change rates consumer protection laws require notice. It's just another thing, and I suspect rates are not much different for most markets.

But by all means tell DISH how to run its operation. I am sure they'll listen to you.
You are right . Dish's SW Engineers are not the best . When SW updates arrive , they break almost as much as they fixed or updated.

When I had DISH and had OTA many (but not all) of the channels would populate in the guide. The major networks did and then some of the other channels. Have to wonder if there is something a local channel can do to withhold this data?
I don't think the local is withholding the data. In fact, if you pick up OTA, the data is there. It's in your receiver already. DISH is the one withholding it. Now, let's hear the excuses of why Dish shouldn't display PSIP information that's freely available...
1) "It would cost too much to program to receive the data." Yea, just like every TV by every manufacturer big or small paid out so much money since the mid 2000s(?) to incorporate PSIP in their displays. The sub $100 TV you can get from Wal*Mart can display the data, but it would cost Dish too much to do it.
2) "There's only a limited amount of data, it doesn't go out seven days like Dish does." So somehow, having ZERO data is better than a limited amount.

It's not just Dish

It really is "First world problems", but this local redistribution stuff has to end. FCC should just set the rates and require distribution. Of course, Sinclair would just lobby the heck out of DC.

Reactions: Jim S.
Hmm... looks like I do get the programming data for WJW in Cleveland.
That must be OTA. I am still getting the dispute message on the satellite-delivered WJW here. The continued availability of the OTA guide data was the entire point of the uplink that I pointed out in this thread:

What cities are not affected by this black out so maybe I can try to "move"
Here you go:
I posted that list specifically for that purpose. Note that it not only takes into account this dispute, but also all other known ongoing or possible upcoming disputes as best as I can tell from the available information. So, that eliminates a lot of other markets from making it onto that list. If you know where the spotbeams cover, then that list may work for you. If not, here is a list of markets on CONUS that are also on the no dispute list:

Baltimore, MD - 119 satellite - SD only
Casper, WY - 77 satellite - HD
Cincinnati, OH - 77 satellite - HD
Paducah, KY - 77 satellite - HD

Sad that I'm having to use apps and websites of questionable legality in order to watch channels that I'm still paying for.
Dish's package price changes are next month, if they make the changes at the same time of year that they normally do. Maybe they will adjust the price, to reflect the missing locals. :oldlaugh (Sorry, almost made it through that one with a straight face.)

DishPromise.com has an updated video from Brian Neylon. I found this line interesting from the transcript:

"Nexstar is correct that we have contract negotiations on a regular basis. In fact, on average we have one contract up every two days. This year we have successfully negotiated more than 180 contracts without any issue."

That is a lot of contracts. I didn't know there were that many companies they deal with. I am guessing that if a provider has 10 channels, Dish is considering that 10 different contracts.