Nexstar Media Group forces blackout of nearly 5.4 million DISH customers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
DishPromise.com has an updated video from Brian Neylon. I found this line interesting from the transcript:

"Nexstar is correct that we have contract negotiations on a regular basis. In fact, on average we have one contract up every two days. This year we have successfully negotiated more than 180 contracts without any issue."

That is a lot of contracts. I didn't know there were that many companies they deal with. I am guessing that if a provider has 10 channels, Dish is considering that 10 different contracts.
How many of those 180 contracts were just temporary truces to bring locals back during the height of the pandemic panic? Or temporary extensions of existing contracts, before reaching a long-term deal? For that matter, I assume that some kind of contracts had to be negotiated to authorize the free preview channels.

How many of those 180 contracts were just temporary truces to bring locals back during the height of the pandemic panic? Or temporary extensions of existing contracts, before reaching a long-term deal? For that matter, I assume that some kind of contracts had to be negotiated to authorize the free preview channels.
Viacom and the nfl were the only true agreements since the temporary covid deals started. Another thing, nexstar is really only asking for $500 million more. But taking into account the companies they bought, such as tribune, really it’s barely an increase. It’s just now dish has to cut a big check to one company, instead of a bunch of little checks, that add up to a big check, across multiple companies. Almost like dish doesn’t have the cash on hand to actually pay. Which is probably why most of these agreements with rsn’s, hbo, and now half the damn locals are ending in multi month/year disputes. And the worst is yet to come. Old Charlie is going to stroke out when he sees Comcast’s and Disney’s initial offers.

Viacom and the nfl were the only true agreements since the temporary covid deals started. Another thing, nexstar is really only asking for $500 million more. But taking into account the companies they bought, such as tribune, really it’s barely an increase. It’s just now dish has to cut a big check to one company, instead of a bunch of little checks, that add up to a big check, across multiple companies. Almost like dish doesn’t have the cash on hand to actually pay. Which is probably why most of these agreements with rsn’s, hbo, and now half the damn locals are ending in multi month/year disputes. And the worst is yet to come. Old Charlie is going to stroke out when he sees Comcast’s and Disney’s initial offers.
I did wonder, if, when Dish claims "they're asking for a 500% increase" (whatever number they're spouting), if that was the TOTAL increase (which, more stations = more $$$), or the owners were truly asking for a 500% increase for each station.

Viacom and the nfl were the only true agreements since the temporary covid deals started. Another thing, nexstar is really only asking for $500 million more. But taking into account the companies they bought, such as tribune, really it’s barely an increase.
Can you back up this claim?

Reactions: pattykay
$500 million per year for a two-year contract is still $1 billion.
Who's got the number of subscribers this covers?

Dish has ~9 million subscribers over all.
500 million/year divide by 9 million subscribers is $55/year. $55/12 = $4.62/subscriber/month.

That seems REALLY high to me. Did I do my math right?

I thought these contracts were usually on three year cycles. $1b/3 = $333,333 million/year. Divide by 9 million is ~$37/year. Divide by 12 is just over $3/month. Still seems high to me.

I'm assuming a cost/channel of ~$1-$2/month/subscriber. That's just a guess on my part though.

Reactions: navychop
So ya I got $5 but it wasn't without laughs. Guy offered me sports package which was something around $13 then offered me $5 lol I mean wtf? I said I don't watch sports then he offered the $5 but I said why would you offer me less now? I'll give it a week or so and call back.. sadly that isn't enough but that was rather funny to offer.

Reactions: Redbullsnation
So ya I got $5 but it wasn't without laughs. Guy offered me sports package which was something around $13 then offered me $5 lol I mean wtf? I said I don't watch sports then he offered the $5 but I said why would you offer me less now? I'll give it a week or so and call back.. sadly that isn't enough but that was rather funny to offer.
Are you missing 40% of your locals?

Am I the only one seeing these Brian Neylon Q&A segments with the audio out of sync?
He was out of sync last night when I watched him. I think he presented Dish's side real well with the quotes from customers. See it all the time on Dish's Facebook page. I guess the people from Dish have given up answering the posts. But they were the company's standard answers anyway.

Here you go:
I posted that list specifically for that purpose. Note that it not only takes into account this dispute, but also all other known ongoing or possible upcoming disputes as best as I can tell from the available information. So, that eliminates a lot of other markets from making it onto that list. If you know where the spotbeams cover, then that list may work for you. If not, here is a list of markets on CONUS that are also on the no dispute list:

Baltimore, MD - 119 satellite - SD only
Casper, WY - 77 satellite - HD
Cincinnati, OH - 77 satellite - HD
Paducah, KY - 77 satellite - HD

I’m not aware of any channels in dispute or pending dispute for Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May as well be missing 100% when you have someone in the house constantly complaining about it cause of missing shows and you never NEVER hear the end of it. So Yeah I'm missing a lot.
That still doesn't make the missing channel(s) worth more than the remaining channels. Sorry to see you're having domestic issues over the loss though. Is OTA or streaming not an option?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)