Nexstar Media Group threatens largest local station blackout in TV history, according to DISH

Easy to view any Locast market in by faking your location in FireFox.

Code:
1 New York:
data:application/json,{"location": {"lat": 40.7588, "lng": -73.9851}, "accuracy": 27000.0}

2 Los Angeles:
data:application/json,{"location": {"lat": 34.0551, "lng": -118.2452}, "accuracy": 27000.0}

3 Chicago:
data:application/json,{"location": {"lat": 41.8756, "lng": -87.6294}, "accuracy": 27000.0}

4 Philadelphia:
data:application/json,{"location": {"lat": 39.9526, "lng": -75.1638}, "accuracy": 27000.0}

5 Dallas:
data:application/json,{"location": {"lat": 32.7504, "lng": -97.1654}, "accuracy": 27000.0}

6 Washington DC (Hagrstwn):
data:application/json,{"location": {"lat": 38.9071, "lng": -77.0365}, "accuracy": 27000.0}

7 Houston:
data:application/json,{"location": {"lat": 29.7587, "lng": -95.3642}, "accuracy": 27000.0}

8 San Francisco-Oak-San Jose:
data:application/json,{"location": {"lat": 37.7692, "lng": -122.4405}, "accuracy": 27000.0}

9 Boston (Manchester):
data:application/json,{"location": {"lat": 42.3602, "lng": -71.0591}, "accuracy": 27000.0}

17 Denver:
data:application/json,{"location": {"lat": 39.7396, "lng": -104.9894}, "accuracy": 27000.0}

26 Baltimore:
data:application/json,{"location": {"lat": 39.2946, "lng": -76.6140}, "accuracy": 27000.0}

115 Sioux Falls(Mitchell):
data:application/json,{"location": {"lat": 43.5456, "lng": -96.7307}, "accuracy": 27000.0}

171 Rapid City:
data:application/json,{"location": {"lat": 44.0816, "lng": -103.2346}, "accuracy": 27000.0}
HOW would I do such a thing?

I looked for location guard on chrome extensions and could not locate it. I edited my location to LA on my chrome browser and that didn’t work. It shows “oops something went wrong please reload the page and try again. Your DMA not detected”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sick and tired of contract disputes and losing my local channels with Dish. I lost my ABC affiliate a while back and now I'll probably lose Fox as well. I may end up having to switch to DirecTV since OTA antenna is not an option for me.
I would find out how many stations are blacked out before you sign.

Reactions: peggy97850
I would find out how many stations are blacked out before you sign.
That is too bad, that an OTA is not an option for you. Our ABC local was taken off a few months ago, thanks to Dish's dispute with Mission. Now, they are having a dispute with Nexstar, and another local may be taken off as well, my local NBC channel. Thankfully, I had an OTA installed and I have my locals on my Dish Lineup.

• Love
Reactions: Howard Simmons
That is too bad, that an OTA is not an option for you. Our ABC local was taken off a few months ago, thanks to Dish's dispute with Mission. Now, they are having a dispute with Nexstar, and another local may be taken off as well, my local NBC channel. Thankfully, I had an OTA installed and I have my locals on my Dish Lineup.

I have a OTA up a 20ft pole on the side of my house and get locals from two different cities. So two of everything except for ABC because it's VHF and too far.

I have a OTA up a 20ft pole on the side of my house and get locals from two different cities. So two of everything except for ABC because it's VHF and too far.
Our dual DMA Vermont service address gives us two of each of the networks, but we'll be losing both of our Fox stations this time. We have plenty of alternatives though, between OTA and streaming.

Locast was mentioned earlier, and I'll just add that a VPN or a browser extension can make it possible to watch the locals from most areas that Locast serves.
That is true, but you then have to deal with Locast's constant interruptions. Those get old quickly. I guess if you could use a VPN for market X, and then be able to pay the $5 a month, that might work. But I have no idea how you would pay that $5 a month without Locast tracing your CC billing address back to your address in a market they do not have.

Fortunately, the TV stations in Portland have translators here on the Oregon Coast and since the "Stacking" with the advent of Next Gen 3.0, we have many more offerings. All of the main networks and sub channels. The only one missing is ION.

That is true, but you then have to deal with Locast's constant interruptions. Those get old quickly. I guess if you could use a VPN for market X, and then be able to pay the $5 a month, that might work. But I have no idea how you would pay that $5 a month without Locast tracing your CC billing address back to your address in a market they do not have.
Paypal?

Let’s say I want to pay for my daughter’s access to Locast. She could live a thousand miles from me. Locast isn’t going to trace where the money is coming from because that part doesn’t matter.

For those saying use an OTA, it's not an option for me because of where I live and mountains blocking reception. I am surprised that the must carry law, if it still exists, does not apply to those that cannot get OTA.

If you can't pick up a difracted signal off the top edge of the mountain have you tried picking up a "bounce" off a mountain in the opposite direction with a yagi antenna like the one in my avatar?

Reactions: pattykay
Let’s say I want to pay for my daughter’s access to Locast. She could live a thousand miles from me. Locast isn’t going to trace where the money is coming from because that part doesn’t matter.
Exactly... Paypal is safer from a CC standpoint, but it doesn't matter from a location standpoint. Locast uses geolocation to determine your access eligibility, and a VPN or Location Guard extension takes care of that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)