next 12 markets?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Detroit is still technically "testing"

Honestly, it wouldn't be shocking if D* waited until Spaceway 2 was up, anyway, as that would throw a fairly big number of cards down for them.

I talked to a DirecTV technical yesterday, and she said that she was told to tell everybody that the service (MPEG4) should be up in my area (San Francisco - San Jose - Oakland) at the end of this month.

alexandrepsf said:
I talked to a DirecTV technical yesterday, and she said that she was told to tell everybody that the service (MPEG4) should be up in my area (San Francisco - San Jose - Oakland) at the end of this month.

That's interesting....i thought that NY & LA were next in line & they are not up yet, so San Fran by the end of the month might mean that SF has jumped ahead of the other 2.

thedirtyjobs said:
That's interesting....i thought that NY & LA were next in line & they are not up yet, so San Fran by the end of the month might mean that SF has jumped ahead of the other 2.

1. Don't expect anything until after they get the new bird up, tested and in their control. BUT NYC and LA would seem real easy to do.

2. After the DET test, don't assume that only one city will rollout at a time, they may be proceed in batches as small as 3 at a time, maybe 6 or maybe all 11 at once, thus no one skipping another city, just all slated to be an ongoing upgrade by 12/31/05. This is what was originally planned, but see #1 again.

charper1 said:
1. Don't expect anything until after they get the new bird up, tested and in their control. BUT NYC and LA would seem real easy to do.

2. After the DET test, don't assume that only one city will rollout at a time, they may be proceed in batches as small as 3 at a time, maybe 6 or maybe all 11 at once, thus no one skipping another city, just all slated to be an ongoing upgrade by 12/31/05. This is what was originally planned, but see #1 again.

Both great points....thanks!!!

Also - I have a hard time believing a western state goes live until SW2's fate is known. Seeing as this will sit there when it "goes live" - doesn't make a ton of sense to deploy on the same bird as Detroit.

HD MPEG 4 local programming to launch on 11/22/05

Atlanta
San Francisco
Chicago
Philadelphia

The remainder of the first 12 have been pushed
back, I don't know when.

One of the station managers here (Denver #18) said to expect it by the SuperBowl - so I guess we would be in the second 12 (and not surprised if we don't get the SuperBowl in HD).

NY & LA's locals HD channels are already "up" in MPEG2, so I don't see why DirecTV would be in a rush to change those customer's dishes and receivers out. Of course, this is just the major networks - but do we have confirmation that "other" locals will be provided at rollout, or even ever?

Also considering the rumors that the dishes are in short supply, "rationing" the dishes to markets that can use them for new and unique local programming does make some sense.

jdk said:
NY & LA's locals HD channels are already "up" in MPEG2, so I don't see why DirecTV would be in a rush to change those customer's dishes and receivers out. Of course, this is just the major networks - but do we have confirmation that "other" locals will be provided at rollout, or even ever?

Also considering the rumors that the dishes are in short supply, "rationing" the dishes to markets that can use them for new and unique local programming does make some sense.

I absolutely agree and this would make the most sense, other than them needing to BLAST Arianespace in the rearend to get their act together AND fast! They also need to remove any further business from that company. Move to SeaLaunch.

Take this with a gain o' salt, but the last CSR I talked to the other night in the HD eligibility dept said that once the beta test is finished that they would likely turn on all 12 locations.

I could see them saying all 12 are available right away, if there are no show stoppers in Detriot, but it could be an entirely different thing to actually get an existing HD customer converted. I can understand them wanting to get this up and running and doing all new installs with the new dish to save on another trip back later to upgrade but stretch out converting existing customers due to shortages of hardware and installers.

Why would they only do 4? Why does the deployment of the satellite have anything to do with this? Doesn't it take a couple of months to get the thing into position anyway? From earlier posts, I thought they could do the first 24 on the one satellite?

timmac said:
Why would they only do 4? Why does the deployment of the satellite have anything to do with this? Doesn't it take a couple of months to get the thing into position anyway? From earlier posts, I thought they could do the first 24 on the one satellite?

It's a matter of getting the system of three SAT's in place that is at issue, SW2 being the contributing factor to delays. If that thing blows up on the pad tonight, I'm kicking French ass.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)