Next Big Borderlands Game to Be Released on Last Gen Consoles (and PC)

Zookster

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Here and Now
Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I'm sticking with my PS3 for the time being, so I'm glad there will be another AAA release for a favorite franchise. On the other, a Borderlands game on the PS4 might have been the tipping point for me. At any rate, I just hope this is a full game on not just an expansion-sized one. It will take place on Pandora's moon between the events of Borderlands 1 and 2 and center on Handsome Jack's transformation to a villain. You can play as one of four different characters: three villain types from the BL universe and ... wait for it ... Claptrap!

This Kotaku article offers the most details.

EDIT: Just watched the video linked in the Kotaku article where the devs say it's a "full standalone experience."

Last edited:
Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I'm sticking with my PS3 for the time being, so I'm glad there will be another AAA release for a favorite franchise. On the other, a Borderlands game on the PS4 might have been the tipping point for me. At any rate, I just hope this is a full game on not just an expansion-sized one. It will take place on Pandora's moon between the events of Borderlands 1 and 2 and center on Handsome Jack's transformation to a villain. You can play as one of four different characters: three villain types from the BL universe and ... wait for it ... Claptrap!

This Kotaku article offers the most details.

EDIT: Just watched the video linked in the Kotaku article where the devs say it's a "full standalone experience."

I won't pay full price for this but I love the borderlands games. If this holds up to the quality level of the first two and holds on to 2K's habit of offering great deals on PC pretty quickly after release I will get it at some point.

I agree though. I would have rather seen a PS4/Xbox One/PC sequel than this last gen game. The good news is that this isn't made by gearbox and gearbox hasn't really had success with anything but borderlands. This makes me think they have to be working on a game for the new systems.

In other news. Borderlands 2 GOTY is coming to PS Vita in May. Again, I won't pay $40 for this but I will get in when it goes on sale. It has cross-save with the PS3 so you can bring your existing characters and progress over. Sadly that will be my 3rd time buying borderlands 2. (PS3, PC, Vita)

Last edited:
I won't pay full price for this but I love the borderlands games. If this holds up to the quality level of the first toe and holds on to 2K's habit of offering great deals on PC pretty quickly after release I will get it at some point.

I agree though. I would have rather seen a PS4/Xbox One/PC sequel than this last gen game. The good news is that this isn't made by gearbox and gearbox hasn't really had success with anything but borderlands. This makes me think they have to be working on a game for the new systems.

In other news. Borderlands 2 GOTY is coming to PS Vita in May. Again, I won't pay $40 for this but I will get in when it goes on sale. It has cross-save with the PS3 so you can bring your existing characters and progress over. Sadly that will be my 3rd time buying borderlands 2. (PS3, PC, Vita)
How is the fact that GB isn't working on it a good thing? By your logic, the one thing they're good at they're not doing. Also, they did have some success with Half Life add ons as well as the Brothers in Arms series. Their recent history with DNF and A:CM have sullied their reputation admittedly, but they definitely have some winners under their belt.

How is the fact that GB isn't working on it a good thing? By your logic, the one thing they're good at they're not doing. Also, they did have some success with Half Life add ons as well as the Brothers in Arms series. Their recent history with DNF and A:CM have sullied their reputation admittedly, but they definitely have some winners under their belt.

My point was that I'm glad gearbox isn't working on a 360/PS3 prequel to Borderlands 2. That means it's pretty likely that they are working on Borderlands 3 for the new consoles. This is probably just a stopgap so they can cash in on the popularity of the franchise without making Gearbox rush to put something out.

I look at it like the Arkham Origins situation. The publisher let a smaller developer work on the prequel so they could put something out while still letting Rocksteady have the time they needed to make a real sequel for the series. When I heard that the next borderlands game wasn't coming to the new consoles it tempered a lot of my excitement for it. The fact that the team behind the other games in the series isn't working on this 360/PS3 game means they could be working on a PS4/Xbox One/PC sequel instead of wasting their time and resources on this.

Last edited:

I get what he is saying about the install base difference between PS3/360 and PS4/Xbox One. Like he said, they sold more copies of Borderlands 2 than the total amount of PS4s and Xbox Ones that have been sold so far and not everyone who owns a new console would buy a Borderlands game. Still, Borderlands 2 is probably the biggest cash cow Gearbox ever has had, or ever will have. I don't buy his statement that Borderlands 3 isn't currently in the works at Gearbox, not for one second.

After the success that BL2 had I'm pretty positive that they are working on BL3 for PS4/Xbox One/PC. It's just a matter of how long it takes them to put it out. This BL2 prequel probably bought them another year or two but I can't imagine they want to wait too long before putting out their real sequel. 3-4 years between games is one thing but 5-8 years and you start to lose relevance.

Last edited:
I get what he is saying about the install base difference between PS3/360 and PS4/Xbox One. Like he said, they sold more copies of Borderlands 2 than the amount of total PS4s and Xbox Ones that have been sold so far and not everyone who owns a new console would buy a Borderlands game. Still, Borderlands 2 is probably the biggest cash cow Gearbox ever has had, or ever will have. I don't buy his statement that Borderlands 3 isn't currently in the works at Gearbox, not for one second.

After the success that BL2 had I'm pretty positive that they are working on BL3 for PS4/Xbox One/PC. It's just a matter of how long it takes them to put it out. This BL2 prequel probably bought them another year or two but I can't imagine they want to wait too long before putting out their real sequel. 3-4 years between games is one thing but 5-8 years and you start to lose relevance.

I hope your right. I just started playing BL2, and love it. My PS4 is a little jealous right now. :). I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on the Vita/BL2 bundle when it releases next month!!!

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I hope your right. I just started playing BL2, and love it. My PS4 is a little jealous right now. :). I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on the Vita/BL2 bundle when it releases next month!!!

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

If you are planning on getting a Vita make sure you start tying all those PS+ Vita games to your account. You can purchase a copy of all the free games from their web store even if you don't have a console yet. I spend less time with my Vita than the PS3/PS4 but they have put so many quality Vita games up on the free list that I rarely feel the need to actually buy anything. There are exceptions to that like MLB The Show, Killzone Mercenaries, and soon BL2 but for the most part I get more free Vita games than I have time to play.

Hopefully you have already been picking up those Vita games for a while. If so, you are going to have an impressive library of games on Day 1 with your Vita.

If you are planning on getting a Vita make sure you start tying all those PS+ Vita games to your account. You can purchase a copy of all the free games from their web store even if you don't have a console yet. I spend less time with my Vita than the PS3/PS4 but they have put so many quality Vita games up on the free list that I rarely feel the need to actually buy anything.

Good idea. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

There's an unusual amount of cross-buy games right now on Plus, so 9 games total this week for the Vita instead of the usual 6. I'm finding Thomas Was Alone to be the perfect handheld diversion, especially while watching baseball.

I probably don't use the Vita enough, and have too many games right now, to justify a BL2 purchase for the Vita, as tempting as it will be, especially since I've already put an obscene amount of hours into it on the PS3. If the "GOTY" version for the Vita actually included all the story DLC, I may have been swayed. Sucks the developers held a couple of them back. :(

There's an unusual amount of cross-buy games right now on Plus, so 9 games total this week for the Vita instead of the usual 6. I'm finding Thomas Was Alone to be the perfect handheld diversion, especially while watching baseball.

I probably don't use the Vita enough, and have too many games right now, to justify a BL2 purchase for the Vita, as tempting as it will be, especially since I've already put an obscene amount of hours into it on the PS3. If the "GOTY" version for the Vita actually included all the story DLC, I may have been swayed. Sucks the developers held a couple of them back. :(

I think this is because there have been a lot of indie games free with PS Plus lately. Indie games that are on multiple Playstation platforms tend to be cross-buy between all of them. My general rule is, if a free game is cross-buy between the PS3 and Vita I download the Vita version unless there is some obvious reason why the PS3 version is better. Part of my reasoning is that there aren't as many great games available on Vita as there are on PS3 so if a game performs similarly on Vita I'll save it for that platform. The other big thing is that I'm just using my PS3 less and less.

It's funny that you mentioned playing Thomas Was Alone on the Vita while watching baseball. I have been doing the exact same thing and I'm really liking that game so far. As for Borderlands 2 on Vita, I will be all over that. I have the game and season pass on PS3 and have completed the main story. I didn't play much of the DLC because I got the GOTY edition of the PC version before most of it came out. I spend a lot of time with my Vita up at our cabin in the summer. We don't have TV or internet there so the Vita is perfect for evenings or rainy days up there when I don't feel like reading. It's also a 4+ hour drive each way so I have a lot of time to play in the car when I'm not the one driving. We go up to the lake just about every weekend in the summer. The rest of the year the Vita isn't as useful for me but I've been filling that memory card up with plenty of games. I plan to bring my PS3 save over and finally tear through all the DLC on the Vita this Summer and maybe start another play through as a different character.

Last edited:
My point was that I'm glad gearbox isn't working on a 360/PS3 prequel to Borderlands 2. That means it's pretty likely that they are working on Borderlands 3 for the new consoles. This is probably just a stopgap so they can cash in on the popularity of the franchise without making Gearbox rush to put something out.

I look at it like the Arkham Origins situation. The publisher let a smaller developer work on the prequel so they could put something out while still letting Rocksteady have the time they needed to make a real sequel for the series. When I heard that the next borderlands game wasn't coming to the new consoles it tempered a lot of my excitement for it. The fact that the team behind the other games in the series isn't working on this 360/PS3 game means they could be working on a PS4/Xbox One/PC sequel instead of wasting their time and resources on this.
Yes but don't forget, the Origins team put out a steaming turd of a game, and that was with an existing engine. I'd prefer companies just focus on releasing quality games than simply putting stuff out in hopes of improving their balance sheet. I'm not saying that BL 3 or 1.5 or whatever it's called is automatically going to be bad, but literally what they're saying is "We we made this solely for the purpose of raking in some more money, hence why we focused on the largest install base." And yes I realize that these guys do this for money, but this just reeks quite a bit of a quick cash in. If they really wanted to focus on delivering more Borderlands fun, they could just make more DLC for it and support it with updates. If the Team Fortress 2 team has proved anything, it's that with the proper care and support, any game can have a thriving community over time. I don't see the need to force people to throw down $60 for a whole new game that is simply an existing game with different skins and characters.

But of course that's just my opinion, and maybe I'm not the best guy to comment as I haven't had much fun with the BL games (due to my lack of friends, which isn't any fault of BL, but I don't like that they don't do anything to accommodate people like myself.)

But of course that's just my opinion, and maybe I'm not the best guy to comment as I haven't had much fun with the BL games (due to my lack of friends, which isn't any fault of BL, but I don't like that they don't do anything to accommodate people like myself.)

What do you mean by this? Are you referring to playing BL solo? I had a blast playing both BL1 (and all DLC) and BL2 solo. One of the most addictive gaming experiences I've ever had. In spite of a few brief moments playing with folks on my friends list, which I did enjoy, but in small doses, I preferred the freedom of doing what I wanted, when I wanted, how I wanted, for as long as I wanted. I guess that's just my personality. I never did play well with others. ;)

The only thing that required playing with friends were beating Crawermax, Teramorphous, and the other raid bosses in the BL2 DLC (from what I understand). You can over-level (if need be) to beat anything else in the game.

It remains to be seen how good (or bad) BL 1.5 will be, but I'm all in favor of a "more of the same" cash-in game, as long as it lives up to the level of quality of BL2 in terms of writing, variety, length, gameplay, etc. The info I've seen on it makes it look very promising. But I won't buy day one. I'll wait for reviews and the inevitable Black Friday 50% discount.

Yes but don't forget, the Origins team put out a steaming turd of a game, and that was with an existing engine. I'd prefer companies just focus on releasing quality games than simply putting stuff out in hopes of improving their balance sheet. I'm not saying that BL 3 or 1.5 or whatever it's called is automatically going to be bad, but literally what they're saying is "We we made this solely for the purpose of raking in some more money, hence why we focused on the largest install base." And yes I realize that these guys do this for money, but this just reeks quite a bit of a quick cash in. If they really wanted to focus on delivering more Borderlands fun, they could just make more DLC for it and support it with updates. If the Team Fortress 2 team has proved anything, it's that with the proper care and support, any game can have a thriving community over time. I don't see the need to force people to throw down $60 for a whole new game that is simply an existing game with different skins and characters.

Oh believe me, I was less than thrilled when I saw this announcement. My first thought was why release borderlands 1.5 on PS3/360 when you could be putting out borderlands 3 on PS4/Xbox One? The only thing that made me happy about this announcement is that Gearbox isn't developing it. That means they could be, and probably are, already working on a true sequel.

I don't have a ton of confidence that this game will be much better than Arkham Origins since the real team isn't working on it. That being said, if I hear good things I won't hesitate to pick it up on PC once 2K offers it at a good enough discount.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)