Next Charlie Chat?

Don't forget, the true cost of a product is not really reflected by the sum of it's parts !!

Don't forget, R&D, Engineering, Prototypes, Testing, Beta-Testing, Software Programming, Tooling, assembly, Marketing, Distribution, Sales Commisions, Tech Support, Warranty claims, etc, etc,etc, ....

PLUS, you still have to sell a VERY LARGE number of a product like this to even begin to DREAM about making a profit.

Let's be real and face it, the 921 is a marketing tool for Dish Network, NOT a big profit maker.

Think of it as the GT 40 of Ford Motor Company, they will never see profits from the true cost of this venture with the low volume, BUT as a marketing tool or for press alone ..... It's Value is PRICELESS !!

Dave

928gt said:
Don't forget, the true cost of a product is not really reflected by the sum of it's parts !!

Don't forget, R&D, Engineering, Prototypes, Testing, Beta-Testing, Software Programming, Tooling, assembly, Marketing, Distribution, Sales Commisions, Tech Support, Warranty claims, etc, etc,etc, ....

PLUS, you still have to sell a VERY LARGE number of a product like this to even begin to DREAM about making a profit.

You are correct, I did not take that into account, but I still believe they are not hurting with the prices on the 921, and I still don't believe the $1500 they qouted.

~Alan<~~~~~~~~Who always admits when he's wrong...

You are correct, I did not take that into account, but I still believe they are not hurting with the prices on the 921, and I still don't believe the $1500 they qouted.

Yes I agree that I don't beleive the $1500 unit cost either, for example if they only sell 100 units it would be more like $15,000 per unit :eek:

BTW, I also admit it when I'm wrong .. except to my wife :D

Dave

bcw said:
I'ts got to pay for 3-4 years of development also. It's not just the hardware.

Based on some of the bugs reported and missing features I don't think that Charlie got his monies worh from his engineers.

Perhaps they look at it as an investment in getting DVR's and HD momentum rolling to get the prices down in the future. It may cost them more now but as they can get more made in bulk they could actually turn it from being a cost to a profit in that way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)