Next Generation GEOSATpro Satellite receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
4:2:2 does offer superior color resolution. I believe there is a bandwidth issue with regard to 4:2:2 use or likelihood of use.

It is used in sports broadcasting.

I'd rather have it than not have it for the small increase in cost. I don't think implementation is all that difficult.

As far as 4:2:2 being niche, as I've heard it referred to, I would venture to say that FTA is almost certainly a niche market.

Exactly... If the majority of a niche market has no use for 4:2:2, the extra hardware has no value to the majority of customers. Why factory install heaters in cars sold in the Virgin Islands?

We estimate that on average, hobbyists buy about 1 unit of every 3000 sold then the math is approximately $20 x 2999 = $59,980. It just doesn't make business sense to spend an additional $60,000 for the chance of selling an extra 10, 20, 50, 100 or ??? The hobbyist market isn't a big as many of you think...

I'd rather have it than not have it for the small increase in cost. I don't think implementation is all that difficult.

4:2:2 solutions are readily available and not very expensive... Have you purchased an AZBox or a PCI card for 4:2:2? If no, why not?

Exactly... If the majority of a niche market has no use for 4:2:2, the extra hardware has no value to the majority of customers. Why factory install heaters in cars sold in the Virgin Islands?

We estimate that on average, hobbyists buy about 1 unit of every 3000 sold then the math is approximately $20 x 2999 = $59,980. It just doesn't make business sense to spend an additional $60,000 for the chance of selling an extra 10, 20, 50, 100 or ??? The hobbyist market isn't a big as many of you think...

A small, upfront manufacturing cost will yield greater retail sales.

The cost is folded in and even without an additional increase in sales you win.

I haven't shopped it, but, I'm sure a Chinese factory could produce a product with that requirement for less than an additional $20/unit wholesale, even in low quantities.

The most watched tv show in history, this past Superbowl, had feed in 4:2:2.

My point is I'd like it there if needed.

You're right, this is a hobbyist market, and hobbyists like to tinker with such things. Professional units using 4:2:2 are in use in the field. These won't go away overnight, even if a programmer/broadcaster forgets to use it on occasion.

Just my $.02.

I am currently looking to order a 4:2:2 unit, probably an AzBox unit, as I hear the picture quality is great.

As HD feeds become more common, 4:2:2 is becoming less common. It was never part of the DVB standard; It was an add-on feature that some pro encoders and receivers were fitted with to provide superior color quality.

ironically one of the big companies that uses 4:2:2 (that big sports broadcaster in Bristol, CT) seems to do more and more 4:2:2 SD feeds and markets them as HD...especially with the mid major conference basketball games. Last year when they did the Murray State Racer games (when they were trying for an undefeated record) their games were always 4:2:2 SD (the Digitrans picked them up fine) and when broadcast on their "U" station it was always full screen on the HD feed (use to have the grey sidebars previously)
But now that they are scrambling more and more feeds does it really matter if its 4:2:0 or 4:2:2? ;)

Why factory install heaters in cars sold in the Virgin Islands?

global climate change! Virgin Islands probably will have a great bobsled team in a few decades because they'll get to practice on their islands! ;)

4:2:2 - with sports feeds being killed with the availablility of feed info from other websites and also college sports becoming big business, 4:2:2 is not as important.

OTOH, even some programmers are dropping 4:2:2 - one 24/7 programmer just went to 4:2:0 from 4:2:2 and one might think cheaper receivers for affiliates or a desire to expand to the home dish market might have led to that configuration change.

Wanting 4:2:2 on a receiver is almost like buying a new 2013/2014 car and demanding it have a cassette player installed at factory. If you really need it buy it as an add on. I haven't had a need/want for 4:2:2 in many months myself. Would be nice yes if it was included. Do I need it not that I can foresee.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys App (Beta)

Wanting 4:2:2 on a receiver is almost like buying a new 2013/2014 car and demanding it have a cassette player installed at factory. If you really need it buy it as an add on. I haven't had a need/want for 4:2:2 in many months myself. Would be nice yes if it was included. Do I need it not that I can foresee.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys App (Beta)

Sure, if that cassette player was of better resolution than other available mediums, a poor analogy to be sure.

Would be nice yes if it was included.

That's all I'm sayin'.

When the occasional 4:2:2 feed comes along I turn on my trusty HTPC with PCI card and VLC. :D DVBS PCI cards are $25 on Ebay. VLC is free! :cool:

Unfortunately, 4:2:2 is NOT native to ANY chipset priced and targeting the STB market.

Wish that it was as simple as talking to a Chinese factory. Not much that a factory can do to support a function that is not present in the SOC. Adding a daughter board for 4:2:2 makes a very expensive solution.

Ok, thanks. That makes sense. I figure that 4:2:2 is another thing to play around with, kinda like an orthofeed set up.

Are your Chinese contacts aware there is an interest ?

WOW! I never thought about asking! LOL!!! One might assume that this was my first rodeo... :D

As a hobbyist first and a developer second, if it made financial sense to bring in 4:2:2 option we would have already brought a product to market.

I phrased that awkwardly as I was headed out the door. Was just probing for some behind the scenes chatter you might be willing to share. If curiosity killed the cat, I'm dead 9 lives ago.

Sure, if that cassette player was of better resolution than other available mediums, a poor analogy to be sure.

Maybe a poor analogy, but I was getting to the fact that there is less and less 4:2:2.

Not making fun of anybody here, but let's lobby for Analog, too! ;)

There's only half a dozen stations left, but it'd sure save on bulk & power consumption. :)

Too late for lobbying. No 8-track or PTO either. The build parts are ordered and the scheduled for manufacturing the week after the CNY holiday.

A small, upfront manufacturing cost will yield greater retail sales.

The cost is folded in and even without an additional increase in sales you win.

I haven't shopped it, but, I'm sure a Chinese factory could produce a product with that requirement for less than an additional $20/unit wholesale, even in low quantities.

The most watched tv show in history, this past Superbowl, had feed in 4:2:2.

My point is I'd like it there if needed.

You're right, this is a hobbyist market, and hobbyists like to tinker with such things. Professional units using 4:2:2 are in use in the field. These won't go away overnight, even if a programmer/broadcaster forgets to use it on occasion.

Just my $.02.

I am currently looking to order a 4:2:2 unit, probably an AzBox unit, as I hear the picture quality is great.
I have NO idea who you are, and the "slight" addition of ~$60,000 landed cost for the units on top of the $300,000 costs (a guess) for those units already coming out of a sponsors pocket.... IF that makes sense to you, bring out the unit and see if YOU can stay in business. When the microHD was introdused there was an uproar about being able to reduce --was it shipping?-- by $5.00 some said they would not pay it! SO I BOUGHT TWO! I saved the full $15 extra shipping on the second one!
If you want all the extra bells and whistles in the output, codexes, open source addons, go to logic supply and get an $83 box that lets you add it all - including live conversion of 4.2.2 to RF analog..... Turn your Escalade into a VW bug clone!

I have NO idea who you are, and the "slight" addition of ~$60,000 landed cost for the units on top of the $300,000 costs (a guess) for those units already coming out of a sponsors pocket.... IF that makes sense to you, bring out the unit and see if YOU can stay in business. When the microHD was introdused there was an uproar about being able to reduce --was it shipping?-- by $5.00 some said they would not pay it! SO I BOUGHT TWO! I saved the full $15 extra shipping on the second one!
If you want all the extra bells and whistles in the output, codexes, open source addons, go to logic supply and get an $83 box that lets you add it all - including live conversion of 4.2.2 to RF analog..... Turn your Escalade into a VW bug clone!

Well that's good, now we're even, 'cause I have NO idea who you are, nor do I care.

As per usual internet forum posturing your post is full of "guess"s, speculation and innuendo.

All I brought up was 4:2:2, which has been addressed in a more coherent and tactful manner by the importer/distributor, please, stay on topic if able and move on.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)