Next Great Receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dst1000

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
Well its second quater of 2009, were are all the next generation receivers at?
Vantage HD 1100s is out and has DVB S2 BLIND SCAN but has its own quirks and no 4:2:2.

Clarketech 5000 Plus and Technomate 6800 / 6900 Super , IF they release their NTSC Firmware. Both have DVB-S2 Blind Scan, PVR capable, no ATSC or 4:2:2 though.
I really think the only DVB-S2 4:2:2 option will be PC Sat Card.

I've had no luck with the Clarke-Tech 5000 people, I send an e-mail about their NTSC firmware about once a week but nothing from them for a month or so. I've read that the Azbox elite and Azbox premium are both 4:2:2 capable but no blind scan....there always seems to be something missing.:mad:

Vantage HD 1100s is out and has DVB S2 BLIND SCAN but has its own quirks and no 4:2:2.
I know the shortcomings of the Pansat 9200, Diamond 9000, and Coolsat 8000/8100.
What's short on the Vantage 1100?
The SCART connector is not a problem.
It can't do North American ATSC Off The Air digital TV, but that's understandable.
(I'd kill for a box that did ATSC with a proper GUIDE! DishNetwork seems acceptable. )
I insist on decent PVR capability, and don't know anything about that feature.
I'm not sure 4:2:2 is ever going to happen, so I've written off that one item from my want-list.

Well its second quater of 2009, were are all the next generation receivers at?
Wasn't Fortec Star going to have something?
SatelliteAV was making noises a while back.

Starman
these azbox recievers You mention
do they do 4:2:2 dvbs & dvbs2
just curious

I've asked that on a European forum but no one seems to know. I inquired to a dealer who was selling them with the "supports 4:2:2" as its main feature and he couldn't say, so I don't know. The same dealer also told me blind scan would probably be added later....but who knows. It would be nice to have 4:2:2 and dvb-s2 blind scan that is for sure:)

The High Bit rate feeds (anything above 28000 symbol rate) stutter badly when trying to play them. Other Lower Bit rate feeds play fine.
That is High Bit Rate (around 80 and above) DVB only, not necessarily tied to Symbol Rate. TPs with a SR 29270 and more than 1 Channel play fine, stuff like ABCs HD TP does not. DVB-S2 has been fine at any Bit Rate,so far, like NBCs DVB-S2 HD TP.

Hey Lak7 or anyone with the new Vantage give a equipment review?

Not yet, it's still a little buggy for my liking.
I purchased knowing full well of all bugs.
It does Blind Scan pretty well, but under certain conditions, it will log the TP but not log the Channels.

I have a call into a Dealer too, he is also a user, so maybe I'll get a solid answer.

I looked at the specs and features of the HD elite and premium, and since it is running Linux, I wouldn't be suprised to find a PC motherboard inside the box with a DVB PCI card to handle the satellite channels. This would probably make it capable of 4:2:2.

I had a DVR that ran Linux. When it died I opened it up to have a looksee, the main board was nothing like a PC motherboard with the exception of a IDE port for the hard drive. I'm not saying you're wrong, but sometimes things are not what we expect.

I looked at the specs and features of the HD elite and premium, and since it is running Linux, I wouldn't be suprised to find a PC motherboard inside the box with a DVB PCI card to handle the satellite channels. This would probably make it capable of 4:2:2.

Its possible, but there are a ton of Linux based boxes out there now and this one is the only one that claims 4:2:2, at least that I know of. This Azbox has been around for a bit, and only recently have the dealers been touting it as 4:2:2 capable, I wonder if someone stumbled onto this 4:2:2 capablity by accident?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)