Next Satellite Launch?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

varaonaid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Hello,

I've been trying to update myself on the current situations of both D* and E*. I know that E* is putting up another satellite this week but I've seen varying opinions on whether or not D* has capacity to add more HD. I find this strange because at the end of the summer, the consensus seemed to be that D* had gobs more capacity for national HD.

All this leads me to my question, what is D* planning in terms of future satellite launches? Are there any on the horizon and are there already known plans as to what they will be used for (ie national HD, HD locals, replacement of old equipment, etc.).

This is in no way meant to be inflammatory or a diss/praise of either sat company. I'm just curious about what the future plans are for adding capacity.

Thanks so much in advance!
Rae

DirecTV's capacity is fine and they should also be ramping up for the launch of DirecTV-12 in mid 2009. Not sure which DISH bird your are talking about specifically as I see EchoStar's next scheduled launch is around the same time frame as DirecTV's next and the most recent one(s) suffered failures. Can you please elaborate?

Dish Network Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Satellite Launches - 2009 - LyngSat

OK, so it looks like (according to that lyngsat link) that both D* and E* have launches planned for the second half of 2009. Since D* is starting to hit high saturation for HD locals now, will most of that D12 space be dedicated to HD nationals?

I'm still curious on where D12 is going to go. I'm guessing 101? Looks like LNB swapping time eh?

I tried to argue that point with them. They all insist that somehow with D12 at 99 or 103 they can magically reshuffle more locals to Ka-high to free up Ka-low space. I really don't think they can free up 10 Ka TPs that way. If they could have done that, sholdn't they have done a better job desiging D10 and D11 with the Spaceways to make sure they could efficenty use all bandwidth there?

Be careful, you're sounding like a DirecTV lemming.:) Dish should have 100% (or at least 96.875%) of Ciel-2 for 100% of its life. It definitely counts.

I was simply keying off the phase "Dish (and/or) DirecTV launch" and only talking about LAUNCHES. Not trying to say I was not counting their total space. Geez, "simma-down-na".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)