Next step to get DNS after waivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

hahler2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Ashton, SD
Where I live I can only get ABC and CBS in OTA HD. I automatically qualify for NBC DNS. However, I don't qualify for FOX and my local FOX station turned down my waiver. Is there anything else I can do? It's really BS cause according to D* I can get FOX OTA in HD but FOX doesn't even broadcast in HD where I'm at!

1st; What is your DMA and actual zip code?

2nd; Sometime its not just YOUR local affiliate, but another one close by and they do not base theses on digital signla, but the old analog signal method; as far as I have read it.

3rd; if the affiliates deny you, and your zip is listed as served, then there is nothing your DBS provider can do, as they only enforce (by law) what zip code database DMA info they are provided.

4th; If you feel your affiliates are wrong in your predicted signal, then you can request a signal test to aide your cause. If you are correct, and the test proves you can't get any acceptable signals, then it is free and you should be able to get your waivers. If you are wrong, then likely you will be paying for the test and your waivers will remain denied.

Last edited:
Who should I contact at my local FOX station to do a signal test and to bug about getting my waiver approved?

Sorry forgot that. My zipcode is 57424. I'm not sure what the exact DMA number is. I think it's like 114 or so. It's the Sioux Falls, SD DMA. The FOX stations is KTTM/KTTW out of Sioux Falls. I hope that I'm able to get a waiver for it because being I'm so low on the DMA list I bet it's a LONG time before I see HD locals.

Oh I forgot to ask too. If the DMA's and availability are based off of SD reception does that mean if they come out here and do a signal test and can get FOX in SD that I'm screwed? I don't think they'll be able to but you never know.

There is nothing in the process that says you are entitled to receive an HDTV signal. If your local Fox affiliate is broadcasting digital but not in HD you are out of luck.

They are definitely NOT broadcasting in digital in my area. There might be analog signal in my area but I doubt it.

They are definitely NOT broadcasting in digital in my area. There might be analog signal in my area but I doubt it.

According to the DirecTV web site Fox is broadcasting digital on 17.1 KTTW-DT and your zip is in the grade B coverage area. It may be wrong but that's the data DirecTV has been given. It does show you can have NBC national HD.

Seems that the KTTW-DT & KTTM-DT you reference is a re-broadcast of one or the other KTTM & digital @ 5 kW and look farther away (maybe the same) than the FOX affiliate listed to your zip code. When I use your zip code at the TV broadcast services it says you should be getting the KTTM-DT which says they pass along the HD shows on their digital freq. (confusing yet) KTTM @ 1000kW. - You are in one of those WEIRD areas lots of distance between you and the "main" facilty, but they have thrown up a few repeater towers to maintain a larger DMA area..

And no there is no special process for digital reception waivers; it is still based on the analog predictive model they use.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=28501

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KTTW

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=28521

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/programming/guide-station.php?id=35471

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/programming/guide-station.php?id=35472

Last edited:
Hmmm...I'll have to do some research. I sure can't seem to pick anything up. Thanks for your help guys.

I have not seen your info yet on these:

What antenna make & model are you using?

How is it mounted and how high?

What heading is it aimed?

I do not remember what antenna make and model is. I will try to find out for you. I had it professionally installed. It is on top of a 1 story house/garage. It's kind of right in the junction. I can't tell you what the exact heading of it is but it's pointed almost straight southeast. I will try to find out what model antenna it is. Sorry I don't know much about this. That's why I'm on here asking. :)

Pick yourself up one or two of these for your cars & toolbox. They run about $12 at any Wal-Mart or hunting/outdoors store. It will allow you to see the antennas heading, and adjust it if needed.

FOX is at 165° and 57.6m so a fairly large antenna high up should be in order.
CBS is at 88° and 44.7m
ABC is at 72° and 29.6m
NBC seems to be from a repeater at 351° and 31.6m.

What an ugly situation.

Attachments

• mapcompass1.jpg
    mapcompass1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Welcome to living in the middle of nowhere! :) So basically with that many different headings there's probably no way I'll be able to get all 3. I know the antenna I have right now is a directional antenna.

Well I am no pro installer, but I would never say impossible; it will come down to your desire, budget, and how the receiving setup my look on top of your home.

Well I'll find out next time after I get a chance to get to town and get a new coaxial cable (I moved my tv and current one isn't long enough) and a compass. Thanks for all your help charper

NP, & your are welcome; I don't think I helped too much, but hope you get it all working the way you want. Good luck!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)