NFL 2009-10 Season

Then prove it. What about their games where they rested people before the playoffs shows that the resting was detrimental other than the loss? If your answer is 'they lost' then you're just being intentionally obtuse. They were very good close games, not blowouts because 'omg rust'

Then prove it. What about their games where they rested people before the playoffs shows that the resting was detrimental other than the loss? If your answer is 'they lost' then you're just being intentionally obtuse. They were very good close games, not blowouts because 'omg rust'
How about the fact that they lost. :eureka:

What stat other than win/loss matters when it comes to playoff games?? Because they lost a first-round playoff game by only a couple points, that's OK, it wasn't due to rest, but if they got blown out it was?? Wow.

I can agree with teams resting players when there is no bye week coming for them. I happen to feel that the Colts had something to play for and should have gone after it. After all, we're not talking about asking players to come back from an injury early, or play through a nagging inury that truly needs rest. Other than the normal aches and pains, as far as we know none of the main Colts players need that additional convalescing...

What stat other than win/loss matters when it comes to playoff games??

Great Call Cosmo. I guess if they wouldn't have rested the result would not have been a close game. 2 points,22 points who cares ? In the playoffs, it's win or go home.

Their stats in their losses were typical of their previous games, or you'd have a point.
Again, I fail to see the importance of those "typical" stats. In the playoffs the only stat that matters is W or L.

For example, in week 2 this season (Colts v. Dolphins) the Colts had the lowest time of possession for a winning team since 1977 (14:53) and only ran 35 plays from scrimmage, and yet they still won. I'm sure you would agree that these stats were far below their "typical" or average stats. So, whether the stats were lower, higher, or average, in the end it really doesn't matter.

Braylon Edwards Harnesses His Inner Broadway Joe

Braylon Edwards a business man. He’s in the commercials business. He dabbles in the media-vs-blogger business. He is even considering the modeling business. But while the catwalk remains on the back burner, Edwards has opted to dive into the win-guaranteeing business.

With his New York Jets entering Week 17 of the NFL season with a shot a the playoffs, Edwards turned into Joe Willie Namath when facing the media....

“We won’t lose this game,” Edwards said ”We just won’t. We want it too bad. You just talk to the guys in here and you get a feel. Guys are serious about winning this game.”

“Guys aren’t talking about New Year’s Eve,” he continued. “Guys aren’t talking about their families. All guys are talking about is the playoffs, about beating Cincinnati. This team is 100 percent all in. I don’t think we can lose this game with the mindset we have right now. I just don’t see it.”

Edwards and focus are not exactly two words that are grouped together very often. Though no stranger to having footballs deflect off of his face, Braylon has never been one keep his opinion to himself.

Kudos Braylon, Kudos! :D

I generally agree with you though cosmo, it's those who say nobody should ever be resting anyone that I don't.
as do i. and i also agree with you stevo that it also doesn't mean do not rest them at all. my issue as i said before is with too much rest for those teams who already have a bye. ;)

Again, I fail to see the importance of those "typical" stats. In the playoffs the only stat that matters is W or L.

For example, in week 2 this season (Colts v. Dolphins) the Colts had the lowest time of possession for a winning team since 1977 (14:53) and only ran 35 plays from scrimmage, and yet they still won. I'm sure you would agree that these stats were far below their "typical" or average stats. So, whether the stats were lower, higher, or average, in the end it really doesn't matter.
yeah don't remind me. we had all the stats in our favor but still lost the damn game!

No exaggeration, they basically forfeited. I'm not the only one that has said this. It's just poor sportsmanship. Has nothing to do with the Broncos, they made their own bed.

Braylon Edwards a business man. He’s in the commercials business. He dabbles in the media-vs-blogger business. He is even considering the modeling business. But while the catwalk remains on the back burner, Edwards has opted to dive into the win-guaranteeing business.

With his New York Jets entering Week 17 of the NFL season with a shot a the playoffs, Edwards turned into Joe Willie Namath when facing the media....

Edwards and focus are not exactly two words that are grouped together very often. Though no stranger to having footballs deflect off of his face, Braylon has never been one keep his opinion to himself.

Kudos Braylon, Kudos! :D

GREAT, very optimistic of Braylon, seeing that the Bengals have nothing to play for, if the Bengals rest thier players, does his statement still count ?

Denver is benching both TE Tony Scheffler and WR Brandon Marshall for the season finale against the Chiefs, both for disciplinary reasons.

Scheffler is for his attitude in general of late, and Marshall is being deactivated for his unwillingness to play through a hamstring injury he has.

You simply reinforce my opinion. The schedule is 16 games. You should be able to expect full effort from ALL teams for the entire schedule. Sure Denver and Pittsburgh had extended losing streaks, but they continued to play to win and ,in my mind, expected every other team to do the same. Ever since I was a kid, which was a long time ago, the object of any competition was to win. I know that things have changed in the world, but I think you still play the games to win.

I do agree with your seeding idea once the teams have been determined, but still find it unfair that the Jets may be able to back in. Maybe the NFL wants to show how much of a buffoon Rex Ryan is by pronouncing his teams out of the playoffs 2 weeks ago.

Thank you. see my rant in the NFL picks, week 17.

The following is the scenarios for the 1 PM games ONLY!!

When the early games conclude the AFC picture will get a little more in focus

2009 WEEK 17 TIEBREAKERS VIEWERS GUIDE

1PM AFC GAMES:
  • HOU @ NE
    • NEW ENGLAND WIN:
      • NE earns the #3 seed and will host the #6 seed on Wild Card weekend
      • HOU is eliminated
      • CIN will be the #4 seed and will host the #5 seed on Wild Card weekend
    • HOUSTON WIN:
      • CIN can earn the #3 seed with a win in SNF game
      • MIA is eliminated
      • HOU needs two of following three to lose to gain playoff spot: BAL, DEN, NYJ
  • JAC @ CLE
    • JACKSONVILLE WIN:
      • MIA is eliminated
      • JAC needs four of following five to lose to gain #6 playoff seed: PIT, HOU, BAL, DEN, NYJ
      • JAC needs all five above teams to lose to gain #5 playoff seed
    • CLEVELAND WIN:
      • JAC is eliminated
  • PIT @ MIA
    • PITTSBURGH WIN:
      • MIA is eliminated
      • If HOU loses as well, PIT only needs either a BAL or NYJ loss to clinch #6 playoff seed and travel to #3 seed NE Wild Card weekend
      • If HOU, BAL and NYJ all lose, PIT is #5 playoff seed and travel to #4 seed CIN Wild Card weekend
    • MIAMI WIN:
      • PIT is eliminated
      • If HOU and JAC lose during 1pm games, MIA will need BAL and NYJ losses to clinch #6 playoff seed
  • Other aggregate 1pm AFC game notes:
    • If HOU and PIT win, JAC is eliminated
    • If HOU and PIT win, DEN cannot clinch playoff spot without a win
    • If HOU and PIT win, PIT needs BAL, DEN and NYJ to all lose to clinch #6 seed
    • If either JAC or MIA wins, NE clinches SOV tiebreaker over CIN
    • If NE, JAC and MIA all lose, NE can clinch SOV tiebreaker over CIN with BUF win (and obvious CIN loss later to create tie)
    • If NE wins and JAC and MIA lose, NE can clinch SOV tiebreaker over CIN with BUF win and either CAR win or TEN win
    • If HOU and JAC both lose, only the PIT-MIA winner will remain alive from the group of 4 1pm playoff hopefuls
1PM NFC GAME
  • NYG @ MIN
    • MINNESOTA WIN:
      • MIN cannot be the #4 playoff seed
      • If PHI loses, MIN will be the #2 seed and gain 1st Round Bye
      • If PHI wins, MIN will be the #3 seed and will host #6 seed DAL on Wild Card weekend
      • ARI and DAL cannot clinch a 1st Round Bye
      • If PHI loses, both NFC Wild Card games will be repeat games from week 17 (GB @ ARI and PHI @ DAL)
    • NY GIANT WIN:
      • MIN cannot be the #2 seed
      • If ARI loses, MIN will be the #3 seed and will host #6 seed loser of the DAL-PHI game on Wild Card weekend
      • If ARI wins, MIN will be the #4 seed and will host # 5 seed GB (if PHI wins) or #5 seed PHI (if DAL wins)
      • ARI can clinch #2 seed and 1st Round Bye with win and PHI loss
      • DAL can clinch #2 seed and 1st Round Bye with win and ARI loss

WEEK 17 AFC SCENARIOS -

Earliest possible time to clinch wildcard:

1pm games: none
4.15 pm games: BAL, DEN, HOU, PIT, JAC

8.20pm game: NYJ, MIA

Latest possible time to clinch wildcard:

4.15 pm games: BAL

8.20pm game: NYJ, DEN, HOU, PIT, JAC, MIA

Earliest possible time to be eliminated:

1pm games: HOU, PIT, JAC, MIA

4.15 pm games: BAL, DEN

8.20pm game: NYJ

Latest possible time to be eliminated:

4.15 pm: BAL

8.20pm: NYJ, DEN, HOU, PIT, JAC, MIA

Monday could be "Black Monday" for several head coaches.

A few to look out for:

Jim Zorn (he's obviously out), Jack Del Rio and Eric Mangini.

1PM AFC GAMES:
  • HOU @ NE
    • NEW ENGLAND WIN:
      • HOU is eliminated
    • HOUSTON WIN:
      • MIA is eliminated
  • JAC @ CLE
    • JACKSONVILLE WIN:
      • MIA is eliminated
      • JAC needs four of following five to lose to gain #6 playoff seed: PIT, HOU, BAL, DEN, NYJ
    • CLEVELAND WIN:
      • JAC is eliminated
  • PIT @ MIA
    • PITTSBURGH WIN:
      • MIA is eliminated
      • If HOU loses as well, PIT only needs either a BAL or NYJ loss to clinch #6 playoff seed and travel to #3 seed NE Wild Card weekend
      • If HOU, BAL and NYJ all lose, PIT is #5 playoff seed and travel to #4 seed CIN Wild Card weekend
    • MIAMI WIN:
      • PIT is eliminated
      • If HOU and JAC lose during 1pm games, MIA will need BAL and NYJ losses to clinch #6 playoff seed
    • If NE, JAC and MIA all lose, NE can clinch SOV tiebreaker over CIN with BUF win (and obvious CIN loss later to create tie)
    • If NE wins and JAC and MIA lose, NE can clinch SOV tiebreaker over CIN with BUF win and either CAR win or TEN win
    • If HOU and JAC both lose, only the PIT-MIA winner will remain alive from the group of 4 1pm playoff hopefuls
1PM NFC GAME
  • NYG @ MIN
    • MINNESOTA WIN:
      • If PHI wins, MIN will be the #3 seed and will host #6 seed DAL on Wild Card weekend
      • If PHI loses, both NFC Wild Card games will be repeat games from week 17 (GB @ ARI and PHI @ DAL)
    • NY GIANT WIN:
      • If ARI loses, MIN will be the #3 seed and will host #6 seed loser of the DAL-PHI game on Wild Card weekend
      • If ARI wins, MIN will be the #4 seed and will host # 5 seed GB (if PHI wins) or #5 seed PHI (if DAL wins)

WEEK 17 AFC SCENARIOS -

Nice work Bill :up

Bet you worked on that ALL week ..... :D

1PM AFC GAMES:
  • HOU @ NE
    • NEW ENGLAND WIN:
      • HOU is eliminated
    • HOUSTON WIN:
      • MIA is eliminated
  • JAC @ CLE
    • JACKSONVILLE WIN:
      • MIA is eliminated
    • CLEVELAND WIN:
      • JAC is eliminated
  • PIT @ MIA
    • PITTSBURGH WIN:
      • MIA is eliminated
    • MIAMI WIN:
      • PIT is eliminated
1PM NFC GAME
  • NYG @ MIN
    • MINNESOTA WIN:
    • NY GIANT WIN:

WEEK 17 AFC SCENARIOS -

I have a headache..............

NCAA proposes tough taunting, concussion rules

Is it possible to watch MLB.TV on a TV?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)