NFL 2020

Pats seem to have no solved their passing target issue and the injuries to the front line are really holding them back.

Browns smacked down, so now the question that remains is, are they a solid 10-6 team?

Pats seem to have no solved their passing target issue and the injuries to the front line are really holding them back.

Browns smacked down, so now the question that remains is, are they a solid 10-6 team?
Are who a solid 10-6 team? The Browns ??? Hardly ...
Steelers will probably be fortunate to win 10 games.
Although they might be more like 11 wins, it all depends, their Defense just took a blow today when LB Bush went down with an ACL, out for the season ... they finally got the LBs issues resolved, now this.

As uninspired as the Patriots looked today (and make no mistake, that was VERY uninspired), I actually think they’ll be okay when they get their OL back together. David Andrews is supposed to come off the IL next week and they also should have a couple linemen back off the COVID list. With the stable of running backs the Patriots have to go along with Cam Newton, the health of the O-line is huge. One other thing, I’ve been seeing a lot of “If we had Brady today this wouldn’t have happened” on various social media sites today. I agree. It would have been much worse. The ravaged offensive line combined with a very thin receiving corps would have spelled disaster for the immobile Brady (and this is coming from a huge Brady fan). At least Cam’s mobility gave them a chance today.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

For many years, I never looked at the AFC East Standing as the Pats were ALWAYS at the top, ya just gloss right over it as you knew they were gonna be in the playoffs .... this year might be at least a challenge form them to get there.

As uninspired as the Patriots looked today (and make no mistake, that was VERY uninspired), I actually think they’ll be okay when they get their OL back together. David Andrews is supposed to come off the IL next week and they also should have a couple linemen back off the COVID list. With the stable of running backs the Patriots have to go along with Cam Newton, the health of the O-line is huge. One other thing, I’ve been seeing a lot of “If we had Brady today this wouldn’t have happened” on various social media sites today. I agree. It would have been much worse. The ravaged offensive line combined with a very thin receiving corps would have spelled disaster for the immobile Brady (and this is coming from a huge Brady fan). At least Cam’s mobility gave them a chance today.

Possibly ... however, one of Tom's favorite plays was the crossing routes a few yards over the line of scrimmage,, they were usually quick developing plays that he could dump off and expect to get the yac's to make the 1st downs ...

I haven't seen much of the Pats this year, are they still running those with Cam ?

Possibly ... however, one of Tom's favorite plays was the crossing routes a few yards over the line of scrimmage,, they were usually quick developing plays that he could dump off and expect to get the yac's to make the 1st downs ...

I haven't seen much of the Pats this year, are they still running those with Cam ?

It’s been tough because Julian Edelman has been banged up and he has dropped a bunch of passes this year. Make no mistake, I’m under no illusions that this is your normal Patriots championship contender. I just think they will still be heard from before the season is over. I think 9-7 or 10-6 and a playoff berth is still a very realistic goal.

For many years, I never looked at the AFC East Standing as the Pats were ALWAYS at the top, ya just gloss right over it as you knew they were gonna be in the playoffs .... this year might be at least a challenge form them to get there.

Yeah, strange times indeed. There was a stat after the game that this is the latest the Patriots have been under .500 since 2002. Going back to the 2001 season, they have won 17 division titles. The two times they didn’t win the division they finished tied for first, but lost on tiebreakers (2002 to the Jets and 2008 to the Dolphins).

It’s been tough because Julian Edelman has been banged up and he has dropped a bunch of passes this year. Make no mistake, I’m under no illusions that this is your normal Patriots championship contender. I just think they will still be heard from before the season is over. I think 9-7 or 10-6 and a playoff berth is still a very realistic goal.

In 3 weeks you guys could be tied for 1st ...
We'll learn some about the Bills this week, they play KC .. then the Jets and Pats ...
Provided the Pats get by the 49'ers this week.

Meanwhile, my Steelers (5-0 currently) play the Titans this week and Ravens next.

Watching the Cardinals dominate the Cowboys, and something occurred to me. Every team in the NFC West is better than every team in the NFC East, and it frankly isn’t close. In all my 45 or so years following the NFL, I don’t ever recall that ever being the case.

Reactions: Jimbo
Watching the Cardinals dominate the Cowboys, and something occurred to me. Every team in the NFC West is better than every team in the NFC East, and it frankly isn’t close. In all my 45 or so years following the NFL, I don’t ever recall that ever being the case.

The NFC Least.

Last night's game just cemented the fact that Prescott will get his franchise QB contract offer from the Cowboys.

I certainly HOPE Trevor Lawrence goes as the #1 pick in the draft ..
He'll go to the Jets more than likely ...
Then the world will start to understand that these very good College QB's are just avg when they play with a Last place team in the Pros.

Hopefully J. Fields will drop till later in the 1st round. A QB generally tends to drop some every year.

Pittsburgh would be a great place for Fields to drop to, but I don't think Pittsburgh is smart enough to take him if he fell in thier lap ... that goes for either of the top QB's.
Pittsburgh needed a Top RB going into last years draft and passed on them till the 4th round.

There were 3 top notch RB's in last years draft and they passed on all 3 of them ...

Elaire, Dobbins and Swift

So is there a playoff bubble or Super Bowl bubble plan? I can only imagine two teams getting to the Super Bowl and then a few top players Covid'ing out.
In 3 weeks you guys could be tied for 1st ...
We'll learn some about the Bills this week, they play KC .. then the Jets and Pats ...
Provided the Pats get by the 49'ers this week.
You mean without the team all contracting Covid?

The Patriots' magic for Wide Receivers seems to have finally gone away. They had done so well with making decent WRs into very good receivers and very good receivers awesome receivers. For the last 20ish years, they were able to squeeze as much talent out of players as possible. Tuck rule and all, the comeback in the game against the Raiders showcased not flashy receiver, but effective and proficient receiver, which would be a staple until the offense grew into a more impressive specimen, though only once really going to the level of crazy good like the Cowboys or Rams.

The Patriot's inability to continue this is the main reason for their decline... which of course is fine. No franchise managed such a sustained level of greatness for this long. Their ability to draft and use free agency was unmatched and will likely never be matched again, as they'd go through receivers (and cornerbacks/safeties) like crazy in the world of free agency.

Whether Cam Newton is the short-term future of the Pats or not, I want stability. I want a team with an identity. We have a closet full of Super Bowl appearances and titles to keep us warm for the next millennia.

The Patriots' magic for Wide Receivers seems to have finally gone away. They had done so well with making decent WRs into very good receivers and very good receivers awesome receivers. For the last 20ish years, they were able to squeeze as much talent out of players as possible. Tuck rule and all, the comeback in the game against the Raiders showcased not flashy receiver, but effective and proficient receiver, which would be a staple until the offense grew into a more impressive specimen, though only once really going to the level of crazy good like the Cowboys or Rams.

The Patriot's inability to continue this is the main reason for their decline... which of course is fine. No franchise managed such a sustained level of greatness for this long. Their ability to draft and use free agency was unmatched and will likely never be matched again, as they'd go through receivers (and cornerbacks/safeties) like crazy in the world of free agency.

Whether Cam Newton is the short-term future of the Pats or not, I want stability. I want a team with an identity. We have a closet full of Super Bowl appearances and titles to keep us warm for the next millennia.

I think the Patriots drafting of wide receivers has been an unmitigated train wreck during the Belichick era. Just off the top of my head, Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson, Taylor Price, Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce, P.K. Sam and Malcolm Mitchell have all been mid to high round draft picks that didn’t work out. Yes, Mitchell came up huge in the second half SB comeback against the Falcons, but injuries cut his career short. And I don’t consider Julian Edelman a great draft choice. He’s turned into a great player (even borderline Hall of Famer), but he was a 7th round draft pick that was a college QB. I will give the Patriots credit for developing him into an elite NFL slot receiver. The only high draft pick WR that Belichick hit a homer on was Deion Branch. The Pittsburgh Steelers on the other hand are a WR drafting machine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)