NFL 2020

Well, KC was too much for Buffalo. I don't know about Tampa. Their defense was able to make up for the offensive coaching that kept saying "throw it needlessly deep" instead of "run the ball, that is working and it kills clock". Of course, having a coach say, "You know what, let's play it safe. Why should we go for a touchdown from the eight yard line, where if we fail, Tampa regains the ball around the eight yard line, when we can just put not enough points on the board to avoid still needing to score a touchdown, and at best regaining the ball at our 40 yard line, at best, with maybe a timeout left and 30 seconds on the clock?"

Not quite kicking an extra point with time expiring on the clock and you are down by two, but that seemed to be some pretty bad decision making.

Well, KC was too much for Buffalo. I don't know about Tampa. Their defense was able to make up for the offensive coaching that kept saying "throw it needlessly deep" instead of "run the ball, that is working and it kills clock". Of course, having a coach say, "You know what, let's play it safe. Why should we go for a touchdown from the eight yard line, where if we fail, Tampa regains the ball around the eight yard line, when we can just put not enough points on the board to avoid still needing to score a touchdown, and at best regaining the ball at our 40 yard line, at best, with maybe a timeout left and 30 seconds on the clock?"

Not quite kicking an extra point with time expiring on the clock and you are down by two, but that seemed to be some pretty bad decision making.
"Mike McCarthy" was trending on Twitter after the game. Accurate comparison, I'd say....

"Mike McCarthy" was trending on Twitter after the game. Accurate comparison, I'd say....
I'd say that in McCarthy's case, he went for it. Green Bay didn't. As a Pats fan, and an economics minded head coach, you learn to study risk-benefit and you always go for the benefit if the risk is small, and you never go for the benefit if it doesn't reduce risk of the outcome. The field goal provided no benefit and the risk was small as it gives Tampa the ball on the 1 to 8 yard line, assuming no sack. At least going for it on 4th and 1 gives you a chance to maintain possession.

The other thing about that 4th down decision that’s interesting, I firmly believe that Rodgers was thinking they would no doubt go for it on 4th down. On that third down play, he started to run to the end zone but at the last second threw it. He would have more than likely scored, but at worst it would have been 4th and goal at the 1 or 2 yard line. They obviously would have went for it at that point. That tells me that Rodgers felt like he had two plays.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Back in 2012 the Red Sox made that famous salary dump trade with the Dodgers. They traded Carl Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett and Nick Punto to the Dodgers. It was jokingly referred to as, “The Nick Punto trade”.

If Tom Brady wins another Super Bowl in 2 weeks, we will have beat Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Taylor Heinicke in successive weeks. Will his Super Bowl run go down in folklore as , “The Taylor Heinicke run”?

Tom Brady taking another team to a SB in the first year. that's Hollywood stuff.
If he were to win it against a team that's the next new Thing...pinch me.
that would put him up in Babe Ruth, Bill Russell air. not that he isn't already.

I give full credit to my brother-in-law for saying this, but after he said it to me it resonated to the point where I think it’s very plausible: If the Bucs win in 2 weeks, Brady calls it a career. He will have won a seemingly unattainable 7 Super Bowls. He would have won it on his new home field (something that’s never been done), and the icing on the cake would be a big middle finger to Bill Belichick. As you so correctly said, Hollywood stuff.

Reactions: Jimbo
I give full credit to my brother-in-law for saying this, but after he said it to me it resonated to the point where I think it’s very plausible: If the Bucs win in 2 weeks, Brady calls it a career. He will have won a seemingly unattainable 7 Super Bowls. He would have won it on his new home field (something that’s never been done), and the icing on the cake would be a big middle finger to Bill Belichick. As you so correctly said, Hollywood stuff.

Why would it be a middle finger to Belichick? New England managed those 9 Super Bowl appearances by managing their spending... and Brady not taking what he could have earned was a major piece of that success. Going to Tampa was Brady's final (first?) Payday.

Tampa's success is in part Brady's, but there are a lot of other short-term signed talent in Tampa, especially defense, making this happen. Brady is one important piece of the puzzle, but not the only. We saw this in New England, where the puzzle pieces finally just didn't fit. Brady couldn't make it happen. It was long overdue, they'd been awesome for so long.

Why would it be a middle finger to Belichick? New England managed those 9 Super Bowl appearances by managing their spending... and Brady not taking what he could have earned was a major piece of that success. Going to Tampa was Brady's final (first?) Payday.

Tampa's success is in part Brady's, but there are a lot of other short-term signed talent in Tampa, especially defense, making this happen. Brady is one important piece of the puzzle, but not the only. We saw this in New England, where the puzzle pieces finally just didn't fit. Brady couldn't make it happen. It was long overdue, they'd been awesome for so long.
Brady and Belichick soured the past few years. There is no love loss between the two.

Reactions: BillD1984
Brady and Belichick soured the past few years. There is no love loss between the two.
Brady overstayed the system originally... but ended up winning a couple more Super Bowls in the process. Garapallo was supposed to be the next QB, but Brady stayed even longer, but his success definitely justified it, even if it hurt Patriot interests a little down the road.

I have no idea the internal situation, as I don't bother with gossip. Personally, I'm happy Brady has cemented his legacy as GOAT by taking the Bucs to the Super Bowl.

Brady overstayed the system originally... but ended up winning a couple more Super Bowls in the process. Garapallo was supposed to be the next QB, but Brady stayed even longer, but his success definitely justified it, even if it hurt Patriot interests a little down the road.

I have no idea the internal situation, as I don't bother with gossip. Personally, I'm happy Brady has cemented his legacy as GOAT by taking the Bucs to the Super Bowl.
Belicheck underestimated Brady's staying power. He wanted to move on years ago but ownership wanted Brady. This is why he gave Garapallo way for nothing to the Niners. He was Belichick's future QB, Brady balked and ownership listened. The team is also old now. No receivers and an aging defense. They leveraged the farm to win but didn't look to the future. They have no QB plan and have to build from scratch.

You can’t be serious with this question?? Belichick wanted Brady traded before the 2016 season because he wanted his guy, Jimmy G as the starting QB. That was after Brady left money at the table for YEARS so the Pats could get him more weapons. Brady won 2 Super Bowls AFTER Belichick drafted Jimmy G. If I’m Brady I’d feel slighted too

I don't see Tom being like that. Tom wanted a 2 year deal Bill and Bob said 1 year. Tom was likely disappointed at that time but has long forgotten.
just doesn't fit his positive personality..... holding on. he might snicker a bit
Brady wanted out, he got the output in his contract. They never thought he would leave.

I don't know if TB's defense can beat the Chiefs.

That’s definitely the question. IMO, the Bucs pass rush is the key to the game. If they play as well as the did against the Packers- the Bucs will win. If they don’t, Mahomes will eat them alive and the Chiefs will win- maybe even in a blowout.

Belicheck underestimated Brady's staying power. He wanted to move on years ago but ownership wanted Brady. This is why he gave Garapallo way for nothing to the Niners. He was Belichick's future QB, Brady balked and ownership listened. The team is also old now. No receivers and an aging defense. They leveraged the farm to win but didn't look to the future. They have no QB plan and have to build from scratch.
I would be at all surprised to see Garoppolo back in New England .

While I'm not rooting for either team in the Super Bowl ... or I should say have a rooting interest .
I will actually start to watch and then figure out who I'm for.

Bradys done it for a long time, Mahomes is the Up and Comer ... could be fun to watch.

Brady has come a long ways from a kid that was a back up at Michigan ...

I would love to see him win and say good bye after this game, it would cap his career.

As for Bilicheck and Brady ...

It's definitely a TEAM game, but without a stud at the main cog, you really don't go to far in most cases.

Would Tampa Bay have been in the Super Bowl without Brady this year (and all the people he brought in).
I highly doubt it ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)