NFL announces new TV deals.

A lot of commercial locations throughout the country don’t have broadband requirements to meet SundayTicket streaming needs, especially on multiple tv’s throughout an establishment.
If they need it and don't already have it, I'm sure they can find it. I'd need to see some examples. If they support lottery machines and the like, they can probably support NFLST.

Not seeing compelling justification? D* may lose streaming rights but I’m convinced they’ll keep satellite distribution. A lot of commercial locations throughout the country don’t have broadband requirements to meet SundayTicket streaming needs, especially on multiple tv’s throughout an establishment.

I believe streaming rights will be turned over to the highest bidder and D* will maintain distribution rights through satellite.
I agree. That arrangement would also probably bring in more revenue to the NFL than D* alone, and also more eyeballs.

IMHO,

- Much much too much is made about Amazon. Assuming this is just tossed in Prime, its pretty much "free" as there are lots of reasons to have Prime anyway. Its the Thursday package. Generally crap games that if they had been played on Sunday afternoon would have gone to little more than the team's home markets.

- People are totally jumping the gun on ST. The NFL is not stupid and understands that its sports bar business (and growing sports book business) must be served and the internet is not going to get that done. It understands that it needs DirecTV, cable won't work because lots of commercial places are not wired for cable and there is no "cable", but 100s of different cable companies that cannot provide 100% coverage to every place, and DISH won't work because DISH has abandoned the sports fan market. But AT&T is not going to pay for exclusivity. So it is going to be DirecTV and streaming.

- More concerning is the "one or two" games on ESPN+ and Peacock. One or two will turn into more and more. So to get every game, one would need:

A source for linear CBS, NBC, and Fox (theoretically free OTA, depending on where you live, but actually not free for most people)
ESPN
ESPN+
Peacock
Amazon Prime
NFLST
NFL Network

- This deal shows the weakness, and mis-management, of Fox. Lots about streaming. Disney/ABC ESPN+/Hulu, NBC/Comcast, Peacock, CBS Paramount Plus. And Fox has Tubi. A free service that just shows old reruns and old movies.

Reactions: Jimbo
IMHO,

- Much much too much is made about Amazon. Assuming this is just tossed in Prime, its pretty much "free" as there are lots of reasons to have Prime anyway. Its the Thursday package. Generally crap games that if they had been played on Sunday afternoon would have gone to little more than the team's home markets.

- People are totally jumping the gun on ST. The NFL is not stupid and understands that its sports bar business (and growing sports book business) must be served and the internet is not going to get that done. It understands that it needs DirecTV, cable won't work because lots of commercial places are not wired for cable and there is no "cable", but 100s of different cable companies that cannot provide 100% coverage to every place, and DISH won't work because DISH has abandoned the sports fan market. But AT&T is not going to pay for exclusivity. So it is going to be DirecTV and streaming.

- More concerning is the "one or two" games on ESPN+ and Peacock. One or two will turn into more and more. So to get every game, one would need:

A source for linear CBS, NBC, and Fox (theoretically free OTA, depending on where you live, but actually not free for most people)
ESPN
ESPN+
Peacock
Amazon Prime
NFLST
NFL Network

- This deal shows the weakness, and mis-management, of Fox. Lots about streaming. Disney/ABC ESPN+/Hulu, NBC/Comcast, Peacock, CBS Paramount Plus. And Fox has Tubi. A free service that just shows old reruns and old movies.
What about the thousands of bars that can't get satellite?... a totally underservered market..and the 70% of residential dwellings that have no los for satellite?

IMHO,

ESPN
ESPN+
Peacock
Amazon Prime
NFLST
NFL Network

Add Tubi into the mix: Tubi Officially Joins the Sports TV Biz as Part of Fox’s New NFL Deal The way I see it 10-15 years down the line all the Networks will have on Sunday is info commercials.

Except the networks via ATSC 3.0 will be something completely different. I can see local sports (Bally Sports) being via local OTA channels.
10-15 years down the road, all broadcast will be ATSC 3.0 (or none of it will). I don't expect that Sinclair will offer the content for free (assuming that Sinclair survives that long). I doubt Bally's can afford to subsidize free broadcasts in return for whatever the house cut is.

10-15 years down the road, all broadcast will be ATSC 3.0 (or none of it will). I don't expect that Sinclair will offer the content for free (assuming that Sinclair survives that long). I doubt Bally's can afford to subsidize free broadcasts in return for whatever the house cut is.
I meant being offered for purchase.

Arguing that the number of people, or the number of sports bars, that cannot get los is significant is simply not true. You do not know what you are talking about. Move on.

Some tidbits on the deal, from Peter King of NBC Sports, that I haven't seen anywhere else:

• Amazon: In another case of the NFL falling into a pot of unexpected gold, the Thursday night package of games was one the traditional networks did not want . . . and Jeff Bezos stepped forward to give the NFL double the fee that FOX paid for Thursday night games in the last TV deal.
  • The NFL has an out in the 11-year contract with every one of the five media entities, and it’s a one-way option. The NFL can exit any one of the media contracts after seven years if it chooses. It’s nice insurance to have, because no one knows the future of media.
  • There is no more CBS-AFC, FOX-NFC marriage. Starting in two years, all games are created equal. The NFL now determines the TV schedule by CBS being aligned with the AFC and FOX with the NFC; the road team in all 256 regular-season games in 2020, for instance, determined the televising network unless the game was on Thursday or Sunday or Monday night. A road NFC team meant it was a FOX game, and a road AFC team meant it would be aired on CBS—with few exceptions made with a league cross-flexing rule. (We’re getting too fair in the weeds for that.) Anyway, starting in 2023, the league will lay out the schedule with the idea to get the best rating for every game. If the NFC has more power teams in bigger markets, those games will be spread equally to maximize viewership.
FMIA: Free-Agency Millions Or NFL TV Billions, Patriots Owner Robert Kraft Simply Is 'In This Business To Win' - ProFootballTalk

Reactions: ShawnHill1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts