NFL considering abolishing extra points?

If they really wanted to make it interesting: seven points on a TD with an extra 2 if you can punch it in from the 5,or hell, an extra 3 if you can punch it in from the 10. This creates more scoring plays, can make games tighter at the end, gives the defense another shot at redeeming themselves, and, unlike the +1, -1 proposal already mentioned, will actually be used. Coaches are risk averse. Unless they're down big at the end of a game, they'll never risk taking points off the board to get one extra point. Make it more difficult, but rewarding would add to the game.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I Like Tony Kornheisers idea of keeping it the way it is except making it a 40 or 50 yard attempt.
50 yards for me makes sense..Take a way the given that the extra point will happen!

If anything is changed!!!...Speed up the game?..Why so we can have more commercials to deal with or FF thru?

I Like Tony Kornheisers idea of keeping it the way it is except making it a 40 or 50 yard attempt. 50 yards for me makes sense..Take a way the given that the extra point will happen! If anything is changed!!!...Speed up the game?..Why so we can have more commercials to deal with or FF thru?

If it's going to be that long of a try it should be worth more than a single point.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I don't think they should make it 40 or 50 yards but I do think they should make it 25 or 30 to make it interesting.

The headline is a little misleading. They are not actually abolishing them. You can still try for the extra point.

You will be able to go for 2. The "extra" point will be automatic. 7 points for a TD.

I honestly have no problem getting rid of the extra point. How many extra points were attempted this year and how many were missed? Out of those that were missed how many affected the outcome of the game?

I actually like the idea of awarding more points to longer FGs. In basketball you get more points for shooting behind a certain line. In fantasy football you get more points for longer FGs so why not in a regular NFL game.

The biggest problem people have with getting rid of the extra point is just a feeling of the game changing too much, not the fact that they really love the extra point. It's like they feel it's too traditional but how long has it actually been around? I thought years ago teams had to go for 2 points and they never kicked so who cares if they take it away again.

The one industry that would be affected the most would be the gambling industry. They would have to make a lot of changes to strategies because scoring would be changed which would change lines.

I like the idea of moving the extra point back 15 yards, making it around a 35 yard attempt. I'd also place the ball on the hashes instead of it being centered. I think they should also adopt the college rule that the defense can return a blocked extra point or a fumbled or intercepted conversion attempt for 2 points.

And making an extra point is a bad thing? Geez! I wish the NBA players could hit their "free throws" like these NFL kickers put 'em through the uprights. Seriously, I'm 50...have an artificial knee...and haven't played basketball in a number or years...but I had time to shoot baskets at the gym the other day and consistently hit at least 7 or 8 out of 10 free throws (about 100 total). How and the hell I can outshoot a whole lot of NBA players (idiots who are paid to make free-throws) on the line. Perhaps Goodel can have 'em shoot free-throws or make the guy who scored the TD (or the QB) kick the extra-point. How silly!
did you know Shaq & Howard both shoot 80+% in practice ? it's in their heads.

what they need to add is the Rouge. ;)

dump the XP give them the point but add if you can score a TD from the 25 you get 3 more points. like a 3 point shot. but if you miss you lose 3 points. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)