NFL considering abolishing extra points?

mccoyrj

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Aug 27, 2007
Southwest Ohio
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told NFL Network's Rich Eisen on Monday that the league's Competition Committee might eventually abolish the time-tested point after touchdown in favor of a brand-new scoring system.

"The extra point is almost automatic," Goodell said. "I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd (attempts). So it's a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play.

"There's one proposal in particular that I've heard about. It's automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000315779/article/nfl-eyeing-proposal-to-abolish-extra-points?campaign=Twitter_atl

Sure keep ruining the game.Someone please get rid of this clown now.He can go start his own no fun league.The same guy that wants to do away with kickoffs wants to add excitement?Yea right.He speaks with a forked tongue if you ask me.

And making an extra point is a bad thing? Geez! I wish the NBA players could hit their "free throws" like these NFL kickers put 'em through the uprights. Seriously, I'm 50...have an artificial knee...and haven't played basketball in a number or years...but I had time to shoot baskets at the gym the other day and consistently hit at least 7 or 8 out of 10 free throws (about 100 total). How and the hell I can outshoot a whole lot of NBA players (idiots who are paid to make free-throws) on the line. Perhaps Goodel can have 'em shoot free-throws or make the guy who scored the TD (or the QB) kick the extra-point. How silly!

Anyone can make six out of ten in the driveway, even seven out of ten with a little practice. But basketball players run up and down the court, get whacked and then have to take the results of their first two. A few decades ago, it was published in my local newspaper that the free throw percentage in the men's basketball league was 35%! That is a league where everybody in it had played varsity basketball somewhere. I remember when Mike Flanagan, the former Baltimore Orioles pitcher who had last played basketball for U Mass when Erving was there, challenged someone to a free throw contest. He made his first 110 and the other guy conceded. I would bet that the lunks who hit 50% in NBA games hit 80% or more in warm-ups.

Anyone can make six out of ten in the driveway, even seven out of ten with a little practice. But basketball players run up and down the court, get whacked and then have to take the results of their first two. A few decades ago, it was published in my local newspaper that the free throw percentage in the men's basketball league was 35%! That is a league where everybody in it had played varsity basketball somewhere. I remember when Mike Flanagan, the former Baltimore Orioles pitcher who had last played basketball for U Mass when Erving was there, challenged someone to a free throw contest. He made his first 110 and the other guy conceded. I would bet that the lunks who hit 50% in NBA games hit 80% or more in warm-ups.

I disagree,Shaq damn sure couldn't hit 6 out of 10 in his or my driveway!:D There are others that could be added to that.Right now the Tarheels mens bb team flat out sux from the free throw line,and what about someone that just came in off the bench,and still bricks it?

I disagree,Shaq damn sure couldn't hit 6 out of 10 in his or my driveway!:D There are others that could be added to that.Right now the Tarheels mens bb team flat out sux from the free throw line,and what about someone that just came in off the bench,and still bricks it?

I disagree too. I shot better than 88% on the line in H.S. and if you can't hit 75% of our uncontested "free throws" as a professional basketball player (it's your sole job in life) then you shouldn't be playing the game IMO.

Bill Belichick bought it a month ago, i think it not bad idea if you think about it. Extra Points got so easy, do you normally goto bathroom and miss the extra point anyway? when it the last time you seen a miss extra point? here what make sense score a touchdown = 7 but if you want go for 2 point conversion you can but if you fail you only will get 6 points guys lets just face it all sports are about to change for safety or for something else

Goodel wll be the death of the NFL ...

He's trying to "revolutionize" the game in a very short period of time. Slow down, you inherited a great thing. Don't F* it up! How about making a really good move like full time officials instead of crap like this......

I disagree too. I shot better than 88% on the line in H.S. and if you can't hit 75% of our uncontested "free throws" as a professional basketball player (it's your sole job in life) then you shouldn't be playing the game IMO.

I missed 1 FT in 2 college seasons.

Its a simple concept. You're 15ft away from a 10ft high hoop. The distance nor the height never changes and there is no one in your face. Players nowadays are more interested in flashy plays (unlike Figure Skating, there arent any points for style) then fundamentals.

Sorry for the bluntness, but I think this proposal is gay.

The NFL at the moment is a multi-billion dollar "non-profit organization"..its doing quite well as it is.

If anything, I say expand the review rules for in the playoffs.. ie- Running into the SF kicker wasnt reviewable, SF recovery wasnt reviewble.
Playoffs have much more at stake than an extra point: bigger bonuses, bigger contracts, more team revenue, glory...

Cheers, K

BTW, Goddell didnt mention the amount of games that were won by the extra point.

Change the extra point to x point for running in the extra point & xx point for catching a pass for the extra point(I think that the very old WFL,the league that Larry Csonka,Jim Kiick,& Paul Warfield signed a contract to play in,did extra points like that). I'll be honest,I think the CFL has a better commissioner than the NFL.

I kind of like Goodell's idea. It certainly isn't earth shattering or life changing, but it would speed up the game since I doubt many coaches would opt for it. It would add another element of strategy to the game.

I kind of like Goodell's idea. It certainly isn't earth shattering or life changing, but it would speed up the game since I doubt many coaches would opt for it. It would add another element of strategy to the game.
I kind of like it too. I guess if it came down to that something had to be eliminated and you had a choice between kickoffs (an earlier Goodell idea) or extra points, I would definitely choose XPs.

The option is already there to try for 2,why bother forcing the extra point to be removed?Stupid idea.And,it happens at least 4-5 times every season a kicker will miss or get an xp blocked.That one point can be the deciding factor of the game.Then what about the kickers?They get paid to score points,if you eliminate the xp you are in effect taking away 3-5 points per game for them.

Yeah, I heard to options are 1) award seven points for a TD and 2) give the scoring team the option to score the ball from the 2-yard line for a +1 point or -1 point if they fail to score. I'll bet the stats guys are doing a happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)