Bodo Fenrirsson

On Vacation
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Grovetown,GA
I heard this on Fox News this morning.
Report: NFL Considering widening field dimensions to combat head injuries
http://tracking.si.com/2013/02/10/nfl-field-dimensions-widening-cfl/

The field dimensions would be as wide as the CFL,but would still maintain 100 yards in length with the end zones still 10 yards. Maybe they should also consider the fact that the offense & defense in the CFL have to line up against each other on the line of scrimmage at least a yard apart,instead of just the length of the football in the NFL.

I just wonder how practical(& expensive) it would be to expand ALL football fields in the U.S. & territories all the way down to college,high school,middle school,& pee wee league football? While widening the field sounds good,the cost would seem prohibitive even for the NFL stadiums to do(although it might help the teams who can't sell out their stadiums by eliminating seats with out using baggies to cover them).

At least they aren't still discussing eliminating the kickoff....

I like football the way it is; why change it? With the way the sport is designed you will never be able to make it 100% safe. Might as well take tackles out and make it NFL Flag Football.

The thought is the widening of the field makes for more one on one tackling as the offensive player is usually going to be down before the rest of the defense can pile up.

Just because the NFL goes to a wider field doesn't mean colleges and high schools have to also.

This won't solve anything. Some older stadiums just don't have the room for extra field.

Consider running down a hallway to get from point A to point B. If the bully you are trying to get past doesn't have to move and can prepare and lower his shoulder into you as he blocks your passage, he can deliver a more effective hit to stop you.

With a wider field defenses have more area to cover, less setting up hits, more actual tackling required. CFL doesn't have many of the injury issues the NFL has apparently, and a larger field is one of the things attributed to this.

Also, this isn't being considered by the NFL, it was just mentioned by an owner. Pretty sure eliminating kickoffs will probably be discussed. With 17% of all catastrophic injuries happening on kickoff which account for 6% of the plays in a game, it's certainly worth considering. I'd rather see it gone before other considerations like weight limits and whatever other drastic changes they come up with. Really interested in Schiano's 4th and 15 (or whatever yardage results in the average conversion % roughly equal to the average onside recovery %) replacing a kickoff. If you need the ball back you go for it, if you don't, you punt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts