NFL Games on Thanksgiving- Your thoughts?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
It's that time of year again, when the NFL has their annual Thanksgiving games.

Lots of questions:

1. How do you feel about this tradition?

2. What are your favorite NFL Thanksgiving game memories?

3. Every year, people ask if the Lions should still play on Turkey Day. Do you wish other teams would get a chance to play?

4. Finally, what are your actual Thanksgiving Day plans?

Lots of questions:

3. Every year, people ask if the Lions should still play on Turkey Day. Do you wish other teams would get a chance to play?

Every year this comes up. We invented the game, so hands off. I don't care if we suck of late, but overall, we have a winning record on Turkey day.

I love it. It wouldn't be thanksgiving without it. I used to play every year too...I haven't played in a few years and while I miss it, my body doesn't miss the postgame soreness.

The only one that comes to mind is the Leon Lett game.

Yes. I'm a traditionalist. The Lions need to be on at 12:30 on Thanksgiving. Other teams can get their chance by playing the Lions or Cowboys, or by playing in the night game.

Going to my Aunt and Uncles.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I love Thanksgiving Day games, ESPECIALLY that the Lions play. This year is a special treat because my favorite team is playing one of the teams that I truly dislike....the Cowboys...and if we are REALLY lucky, we might have a 2nd win in a row.

I love it. Nothing like Football on Thanksgiving. Its such a great day.

Leon Lett and the Jerome Bettis coin toss.

I say leave it alone. The Lions on Thanksgiving is tradition no matter what the record. I think the prime time game allows other teams to play. One prime time game is enough.

Staying home with my mom and grandma having turkey. What a great day all around!!!

Lots of questions:

I love it!!!! Family, Football and Feast!!! Does it really get any better than that?

Probably the Leon Lett game in the snow

No offense, but do we have to go there again?

I'm a traditionalist. It just wouldn't be the same if the Lions, and to a lesser extent the Cowboys, weren't playing on Turkey Day

My wife and I are hosting at our house.

have a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving everyone!! :wave:hungry:

IMHO,

1 - I think it is fine. Thanksgiving is a major holiday, pretty much everybody is off. I am not there this year, but usually I am in Las Vegas where, as a sports g****r I have a selection of good games from Wed-Mon, which is the best event.

2 - Lots. Too many to mention.

3 - No. People in Detroit, and Dallas, have made NFL Thanksgiving Day games a part of the football culture there. It is part of being a season ticket holder of those teams. Who knows how a particular other town's fanbase might react? We are talking about 1/8th of the total value of a season ticket, and maybe people always go to grandma's house or whatever. And then once every 15 years or something we force people to make a decison. It is better to have it in the same towns, where people are used to it. Maybe in Charlotte or Atlanta or Boston or wherever people would react badly to it. This is not like one basketball or hockey game out of 40 plus on a holiday, its 1/8th of the schedule.

4 - Having dinner with an elderly couple that is about to break up housekeeping and go into a nursing home. Not relatives, but really nice people.

Bonus - Agree 100% with defergie. This extra game is just something to boost the NFLN. I much prefer the system where ESPN chooses one out of its 10 or so college games and moves it into that night slot.

I Love it! Second best thing about the day!

BARRY SANDERS!!!!

Those people need to shut up! The Lions belong in this very fine tradition!
I'm cooking and having friends and family over!

I Love it! Second best thing about the day!

BARRY SANDERS!!!!

Those people need to shut up! The Lions belong in this very fine tradition!
I'm cooking and having friends and family over!

Hitachi...LOVE the avatar...!! And SOOOOOO true!

Every year this comes up. We invented the game, so hands off. I don't care if we suck of late, but overall, we have a winning record on Turkey day.

Actually we have sucked for a real long time BUT NO Lions on Thanksgiving would be like no fireworks on the 4th of July.

1 love football on Thanksgiving
2 the Lett game from '93 still makes me LOL
3. 187 the Lions get a real team on there, they've had their shot but they blew it
4. eat and then fall asleep when Detroit is losing by about 60 then wake up and see that Oakland is getting waxed by 40 then fall asleep to rest up for the NY/Denver game

Lose the Detroit game. They suck!
Dallas can stay.
Pittsburgh should be Detroits replacement since they have the most Superbowl wins.
I love having 3 games on Thanksgiving. That should not change. The 3rd game is on NFL network anyway , so its not interrupting anyones programming.

1 love football on Thanksgiving
2 the Lett game from '93 still makes me LOL
3. 187 the Lions get a real team on there, they've had their shot but they blew it
4. eat and then fall asleep when Detroit is losing by about 60 then wake up and see that Oakland is getting waxed by 40 then fall asleep to rest up for the NY/Denver game
Ah now i see how you got your forum name!:p

A. Love it, but have to agree, the evening game is a bit of overkill.

A. The year Seattle was playing Dallas and during the pregame, some commentator said he expected Dallas would dominate the Seahawks. At halftime, Seattle was up by 20 and that commentator in the studio was nowhere to be seen! :D

A. Yeah, it's a sort of tradition (almost the same with Dallas), but I sometimes wish they'd mix it up a little more...especially this season. Dallas has been on national tv, what, 4 times this season already? Give it a rest already...ok, they have a new stadium with a huge tv screen. We've seen it already...

A. Dinner with family and friends...and watching football. ;)

The last time the Lions won a Thanksgiving game:

Larry Fitzgerald, Eli Manning, and Philip Rivers were all in college

Marvin Lewis was in his first year as Bengals coach

Jeff Garcia and Terrell Owens were still on the 49ers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts