NHL 2011-12 Season

This won't be as lopsided as the last time a New England team traveled to Chicago. :D

Of course not, it won't be snowing inside the United Center. :D

BTW, not to nitpick, but the Red Sox and Celtics have traveled to the Windy City since that Pats-Bears game. ;)

Red Wings start the season 4-0 with a win on OT tonight ...

However, they are now 1-19 on the Power Play to start the season and that 1 came to end the game tonight.

Jimbo said:
Red Wings start the season 4-0 with a win on OT tonight ...

However, they are now 1-19 on the Power Play to start the season and that 1 came to end the game tonight.

I will trade you. The jackets are 0-4-1 with just as bad of a power play.

Well, here it is a new NHL Season and I still hate teams being awarded a point for losing in OT. The overtime loss (OTL) is complete BS! You win, you earn a point - you lose, you earn the agony of defeat! It's easy to understand and what's not to love about it? Personally, I would go back to having tie-games during the regular season. This system worked well for almost 80-years. Why it was scrapped, I will never know. :confused:

What's next...style points? How about awarding a point for each goal scored because Bettman wants to reward offense---over defense of course---and make the playoff run "even more exciting" for the small percentage of passive fans who don't understand the game (i.e., they've never played it). Let's see...Team A is 6-points out of the final playoff spot but if they beat Team B on the final game (who just happen to be resting their star players for the 1st round of the playoffs) by something like 8-0 they have an outside shot of making the playoffs. Ugh!

Bring back the tie-game (each team earns one point) or get rid of the OTL. If you lose in OT you lose period...no style points, no gold star for effort. :)

I agree with most of what you said, and your reasoning behind it. But I would NOT bring back the tie game.

Now that each game has a defined winner and loser - no matter how the game was won or lost - each team should get a win or a loss. Period.

Baseball teams do not get bonus points for taking a game to extra innings and losing.

Sandra

I know it's way too early, but wow! Bruins had better get over their Stanley Cup hangover.

I agree with most of what you said, and your reasoning behind it. But I would NOT bring back the tie game.

Now that each game has a defined winner and loser - no matter how the game was won or lost - each team should get a win or a loss. Period.

Baseball teams do not get bonus points for taking a game to extra innings and losing.

Sandra

Don't give Bud any ideas. :eek:

Sandra

Get rid of the current OT and go back to the way it was for the first 1000 years.
That worked fine, just keep playing, like they do in the playoffs.

I like the shoot out.

Why do you like taking 3/4 of the game of hockey OUT of the game after playing 60 minutes worth ....

Hockey is very much a TEAM game, in OT it's a one on one game .... bad idea.

Why not go to a "Hardest Shot" or a "Hit the Targets" in goal in OT, leave the goalies out of it.
Maybe the Fastest skater should WIN the game in a Speed contest.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Why do you like taking 3/4 of the game of hockey OUT of the game after playing 60 minutes worth ....

Why not go to a "Hardest Shot" or a "Hit the Targets" in goal in OT, leave the goalies out of it.
Maybe the Fastest skater should WIN the game in a Speed contest.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Little over dramatic don't you think. If they just keep playing until someone scores that could take a while sometimes.

Get rid of the current OT and go back to the way it was for the first 1000 years.
That worked fine, just keep playing, like they do in the playoffs.

I'm just going to disagree with this, Jimbo. People don't get up and head for the exits when the shootout starts...they love it.

Sandra

Man, you are smoking some wicked stuff in Ohio....Are you that upset the Blue Jackets suck that bad??

Jimbo said:

I don't want to see a tie and I don't want you sit there for five hours waiting for someone to score, it's pretty competitive IMO. the players like it and the fans love it. I know Fleury just loves it, he gets so hyped when he plays in them.

Little over dramatic don't you think. If they just keep playing until someone scores that could take a while sometimes.

Exactly. It would be beyond foolish to play a two/three/four OT game in the regular season.

I don't want to see a tie and I don't want you sit there for five hours waiting for someone to score, it's pretty competitive IMO. the players like it and the fans love it.

I agree. The only thing I don't like is the foolish OTL (getting a point for a SO or overtime loss).

..... Maybe a little !

That would possibly entice them to play harder ...
I think they already go to a 4 on 4 game in OT.
So they've already CHANGED the OT, just getting there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)