NHL 2011-12 Season

The Bruins and Maple Leafs start a home and home in Toronto tonight with first place in the Northeast on the line.

The Bruins go into the game leading the league by a wide margin in goal differential (IMO, a very important stat in hockey) with a plus 28.

The top 5:

1. Bruins- plus 28
2. Penguins- plus 17
3. Red Wings- plus 16
4. Rangers- plus 14
5. Canucks- plus 13

Next week at the Board of Governors meetings they will discuss realignment, because of the move from Atlanta to Winnipeg. Not sure what they can do here.

By rights both Columbus and Detroit should be in the eastern conference...but that would leave 16 teams in one conference and 14 teams in another. MLB just eradicated that nuisance.

Gonna be interesting.

Sandra

Bruins win 6-3 in Toronto tonight, and take over first place.

The Bruins ended November 12-0-1. It's the first time since 1969 that the B's went an entire month without a regulation loss.

Next week at the Board of Governors meetings they will discuss realignment, because of the move from Atlanta to Winnipeg. Not sure what they can do here.

By rights both Columbus and Detroit should be in the eastern conference...but that would leave 16 teams in one conference and 14 teams in another. MLB just eradicated that nuisance.

Gonna be interesting.

Sandra

Move Detroit to the SE division in the East. Its really the only option as the other divisions are all grouped nice and proper
Move Minnesota from the NW Division to the Central with the exiting teams (Chicago, St Louis, Columbus, Nashville)
Move Winnipeg to NW division with existing teams Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Colorado

If you're gonna play someone 8 times a year have 4 Canadian teams in same division to do that like they do in the East with Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal in same division

Move Detroit to the SE division in the East. Its really the only option as the other divisions are all grouped nice and proper
Move Minnesota from the NW Division to the Central with the exiting teams (Chicago, St Louis, Columbus, Nashville)
Move Winnipeg to NW division with existing teams Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Colorado

If you're gonna play someone 8 times a year have 4 Canadian teams in same division to do that like they do in the East with Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal in same division

Yeah, if they move Detroit to the Eastern Conference, they still have Columbus in the West. Or vice versa.

The only way this rectifies is if another eastern time zone team moves west again, like Atlanta just did to Winnipeg.

I'm thinking the Long Island Freak Show travels to Kansas City after their lease at the Mausoleum runs out in 2015. Kansas City goes to the Western Conference, Columbus/Detroit (whoever loses out this time) moves east.

Problem solved. Lots of problems solved, actually.

Sandra

Last edited:
Yeah, if they move Detroit to the Eastern Conference, they still have Columbus in the West. Or vice versa.

The only way this rectifies is if another eastern time zone team moves west again, like Atlanta just did to Winnipeg.

I'm thinking the Long Island Freak Show travels to Kansas City after their lease at the Mausoleum runs out in 2015. Kansas City goes to the Western Conference, Columbus/Detroit (whoever loses out this time) moves east.

Problem solved. Lots of problems solved, actually.

Sandra

There is no way in hell the Blue Jackets will be given preferential treatment over Detroit'; it ain't gonna happen! There's no need to be politically correct in this matter since we all know Bettman will look after the Wings. Speaking of hell and "Freak Show", I would love to see the Rangers---certainly the least successful and least loved original six franchise---get booted out of their cesspool and moved elsewhere. Heck, move the Rangers to Dallas...move the "North" Stars back to Minnesota...and send the Wild into the frozen Canadian tundra where they can search for a real name like the Loggers, Lagers or even Woodchucks - anything but The Wild. ;)

There is no way in hell the Blue Jackets will be given preferential treatment over Detroit'; it ain't gonna happen! There's no need to be politically correct in this matter since we all know Bettman will look after the Wings. Speaking of hell and "Freak Show", I would love to see the Rangers---certainly the least successful and least loved original six franchise---get booted out of their cesspool and moved elsewhere. Heck, move the Rangers to Dallas...move the "North" Stars back to Minnesota...and send the Wild into the frozen Canadian tundra where they can search for a real name like the Loggers, Lagers or even Woodchucks - anything but The Wild. ;)

You do know realignment is not done by Bettman. It's voted on by the board of governors. Bettman has no control.

Sandra

They need to two diffident leagues like baseball and football then have a east, central, north and west divisions in each league.

Games on national TV this weekend-

Friday:
Detroit at Buffalo- 7:30pm ET on NHLN

Saturday:
Montreal at Los Angeles- 3:30pm ET on NHLN
Toronto at Boston- 7:00pm ET on NHLN

Fun fact...

Last night the Rangers won 5-3. Five goals scored, and 14 different Rangers had points. The max, obviously, is 15. Only Marian Gaborik had two points.

Sandra

I've seen the Rangers get off to fast starts in past seasons and fade as winter turns to spring.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch, Sandi.

if you keep Columbus in the west then the 5 team division is Chicago, Minnesota, Columbus, Nashville, St Louis. All pretty close to each other
Yes Detroit is in a weird division but the rest of the divisions are pretty well close to each other.

The reason I threw WPG in the NW is yeah there would be lots of later starts (8:30, 9:00, 9:30 Central time) but the fact it would mainly be against another Canadian team I dont think Winnipeggers would mind ;)
who would you pick NOW...not 3+ years from now to move? Nobody else makes sense

if you keep Columbus in the west then the 5 team division is Chicago, Minnesota, Columbus, Nashville, St Louis. All pretty close to each other
Yes Detroit is in a weird division but the rest of the divisions are pretty well close to each other.

The reason I threw WPG in the NW is yeah there would be lots of later starts (8:30, 9:00, 9:30 Central time) but the fact it would mainly be against another Canadian team I dont think Winnipeggers would mind ;)

who would you pick NOW...not 3+ years from now to move? Nobody else makes sense

Detroit is in the most logical division right now, provided they don't move to the East.

What sux about them is they are a top team and the other top teams in the West side are from the FAR WEST and they end up traveling as much as they do in the playoffs because of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts