NHL Blackout?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have the sports pack, live in the NY RSN area, and got both games. I don't think this was a case of anything but an overzealous blackout F-up.

Diamond Jim said:
If OLN's contract is anything like ESPN's was, regional FOX Sports Nets will be blacked out while the "national" games are broadcast. As soon as the OLN game is over the FSN should light up with the later games. Of course, that doesn't do you any good if the game you want to watch is in the same time zone as the national game. Though I am a Flyers fan I will watch any game because of the love for the sport, so I made a point to watch every game I could on FSN. I went through this 2 years ago when the FSN regionals were on the big dish.

No it is the other way around. If the game is on both ESPN and your local RSN then the ESPN game is blacked out not your RSN.

Not just a NY problem.

This was clearly a problem for DirecTV. Here in northern VA, we --as well as everyone with DirecTV in the entire local market-- had the Caps game blacked out on both Center Ice and the local CSN feed. DTV tried for hours to convince callers that CSN just cut the feed at the last second, but when CSN got bombarded by callers they quickly issued a statement saying that DTV had the feed and someone on their end screwed up by blacking out the entire area. With the 1:30 replay feed coming through with no problem, it was clearly a DTV screw up, and everyone in every area that dealt with this should harass them until they never again screw up.

Sometimes there is a contract for the channel, but not specific content. Like OLN and Cablevision, Cablevision can show OLN, but does not get the NHL games. E* had the same problem with the FSN Ohio a few years ago when it came to Indians games. E* only showed 70 or so games out of 150 being broadcast on FSN Ohio.

With ESPN and ESPN2 it used to be that UNLESS it was a national telecast the hockey game was blacked out in your area. Now with OLN every game is a national telecast. So in essence if a game is shown on oln it will NOT be on your local regional sports network or local affiliate. So if you don't get oln and the game is being shown on oln you can't watch it.

mikedz4 said:
With ESPN and ESPN2 it used to be that UNLESS it was a national telecast the hockey game was blacked out in your area. Now with OLN every game is a national telecast. So in essence if a game is shown on oln it will NOT be on your local regional sports network or local affiliate. So if you don't get oln and the game is being shown on oln you can't watch it.

Well that makes perfect sense (bummer for those who don't get OLN on their system or if it's only offered on an extra-pay tier). The problem, as I'm sure you realize, is that OTHER games were blacked out; i.e. ones not shown on OLN.

We shall see about this next time. :)

=NLK=

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts