NHL Center Ice HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

clgshaft

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Hey,

How come directv does not show all games in HD? I am talking about games that are actually available in HD.

IE: if you check out the Flames website, they list the game tonight vs. the Sharks in HD on their local sports channel. Why would directv not pick this game up?

Why is one of the better teams in the league not being broadcast in HD? is it because they are not playing a home game?

thanks

Hey,

How come directv does not show all games in HD? I am talking about games that are actually available in HD.

IE: if you check out the Flames website, they list the game tonight vs. the Sharks in HD on their local sports channel. Why would directv not pick this game up?

Why is one of the better teams in the league not being broadcast in HD? is it because they are not playing a home game?

thanks

Alot of it has to do with who owns the rights to that particular game, it could have been owned by the other team and they don't have tonights game in HD.

Sharks broadcast is in SD.

Flames broadcast is HD.

I cannot recall ever seeing a Rogers Sportsnet game broadcast on Directv.

I know Dishnet has Rogers Sportsnet on Center Ice.

Sharks broadcast is in SD.

Flames broadcast is HD.

I cannot recall ever seeing a Rogers Sportsnet game broadcast on Directv.

I know Dishnet has Rogers Sportsnet on Center Ice.

My guess is that it was the Sharks feed tonight.

In another interesting note, regarding the NHL Network

Answer me this .....
Just bouncing thru channels tonight and I see the Red Wings and Blue Jackets are on the NHL channel. With the Wings feed...
In SD .... Why is this, I thought the NHL Network was a HD channel. (I know it is).

I turn to 663 the FSN Detroit and it IS in HD, same feed, why one in HD and the other not, it's obviously available to them.

???

Jimbo

Answer is simple. DirecTV does not have the cability right now to carry games in HD that they do not broadcast.

For example, Rogers SportsNet is not carried by D. Therefore, if they carry that feed for center ice, it will only be in SD.

Answer is simple. DirecTV does not have the cability right now to carry games in HD that they do not broadcast.

For example, Rogers SportsNet is not carried by D. Therefore, if they carry that feed for center ice, it will only be in SD.

they are not even showing the sportsnet feed. They used the Sharks feed.

The Sharks being one of the Top teams in the NHL should have all games in HD.

My guess is that it was the Sharks feed tonight.

In another interesting note, regarding the NHL Network

Answer me this .....
Just bouncing thru channels tonight and I see the Red Wings and Blue Jackets are on the NHL channel. With the Wings feed...
In SD .... Why is this, I thought the NHL Network was a HD channel. (I know it is).

I turn to 663 the FSN Detroit and it IS in HD, same feed, why one in HD and the other not, it's obviously available to them.

???

Jimbo

Jimbo, I am right there with you. I have notice this happen on few different occasions. Hopefully most Teams will go to more HD next year to not have this occur.

Other than the NHL Network carrying the Canadian feeds, I've never seen a TSN, Leafs TV, or Rogers Sportsnet game in HD on Dish. I think it probably has to do with satellite capacity. Like a previous comment made, if they don't carry it in their RSNs, then it won't be available in HD. There are exceptions. Last night's Lightning-Coyotes game was on Sun Sports HD, but from what I saw it was not in the Center Ice channels...only in the RSN listings for us in the Tampa Bay area.
Hopefully next year Dish and Directv will have the satellite capacity to show the Canadian HD feeds of the games.

It was weird last night. The Flyers game wasn't available in HD on Center Ice. But it WAS available in HD on my local RSN -- CSN Mid-Atlantic -- which usually only shows Caps games.

It was weird last night. The Flyers game wasn't available in HD on Center Ice. But it WAS available in HD on my local RSN -- CSN Mid-Atlantic -- which usually only shows Caps games.

Whenever a Flyers game is shown on CI, it is almost ALWAYS the opposing team's feed - so in this case, it was the Altitude feed. If Altitude is only showing the game in SD, it will only have the SD feed on Center Ice. Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia feeds are only available if there is no other English language broadcast of the game available since it is not available via DBS due to the "terrestrial loophole." Since about two seasons ago, Comcast has reached an agreement where they provide bonus NHL coverage on their various networks from other Comcast networks around the country - so the Flyers game was shown in Washington on CSN Mid Atlantic with the HD feed used from Philadelphia.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts