NHL-CI to NOT include MSG-HD due to contract disupte

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I can assume you are not here in Minnesota? If so this game will be blacked out anyways. I wish they werent because the Wild do not show enough HD games especially when they roll to Ch. 45. As for Dan Tehar I whole heartily agree. It is really hard to stomach him and Mike Greenlay. I really miss Mike Goldberg.
wrong, im in Mn my service addy is set to Mt
so ny/la locals sd and la locals hd
mpls. locals ota
i get most if not all pro games in the 600's on direct plus also get them in sports pack ie nhl ci mlb ei and so forth
blackouts seem very rare in Mt.
does happen but not very frequently at all

wrong, im in Mn my service addy is set to Mt
so ny/la locals sd and la locals hd
mpls. locals ota
i get most if not all pro games in the 600's on direct plus also get them in sports pack ie nhl ci mlb ei and so forth
blackouts seem very rare in Mt.
does happen but not very frequently at all

Lucky I wish my set up was that way. However, No chance the wife will let me change because of sporting black outs.

Jason,

Newbie here. Many thanks for the MSG HD feed info at Center Ice. I have noticed that the HD feeds vanished a few days ago without expl from DTV. I sent off an email to DTV Cust Svs a few minutes ago and then thought...."try a Google". Found this forum. (forum set up same as Home Theater Forum :up ) I started following the Rangers & Devils since the pre-small dish days on C-Band and I really miss the HD feeds but at least the Sandard-Def feeds are still available. I assume that it's the same for other out-of-mkt Center Ice subscribers?

I guess all we can do is hope for a speedy settlement to this. "Murphey's Law"! I mainly watch those 2 teams plus the home team boys (Stars).

Welcome to the site!

Sorry that the post that brought you in was bad news.

So, Darren are all the MSG's on D* only SD now, including the Buffalo Sabres games too?

It would appear that if it did involve the Sabres, Islanders, and Devils it does not any longer. Center Ice on DirecTV is showing that they'll have home feeds in HD for both the Islanders and the Devils in February. None listed yet for the Sabres, but there's only one home game so far so we'll have to see when they post more of the schedule. It looks as though the Rangers may be the only victim (as there are no home HD feeds posted for them). That's good news for some of us, but it's still a stupid call for Cablevision.

Last edited:
It would appear that if it did involve the Sabres, Islanders, and Devils it does not any longer. Center Ice on DirecTV is showing that they'll have home feeds in HD for both the Islanders and the Devils in February. None listed yet for the Sabres, but there's only one home game so far so we'll have to see when they post more of the schedule. It looks as though the Rangers may be the only victim (as there are no home HD feeds posted for them). That's good news for some of us, but it's still a stupid call for Cablevision.

I attempted to tune in Friday night to a game on MSG or MSG+ with the Islanders I believe and it did not go through I got the Message "This Game is Blacked out in your area".

Not sure about last night. Hopefully this issue is over with.

No this is ONLY for center ice. If you're in Buffalo you'll stll see Sabres game in HD. In Metro NYC area, Rangers in HD.

I'm just going off to DirecTV's schedule for the Devils where both the games on the 6th and 7th have HD feeds from MSG listed.

Same with the Islanders for their game on the 7th

I'm just going off to DirecTV's schedule for the Devils where both the games on the 6th and 7th have HD feeds from MSG listed.

Same with the Islanders for their game on the 7th

Interesting. I'll watch the DTV HD menu nightly as I always do and hope that this MSG/NHL dispute is either settled or short-lived.

I'll know Tue eve 02/03 as all 3 NY-area teams are on the sch:

Caps at Devils
Tampa Bay at Islanders
Atlanta at Rangers

If anyone else gets these games in HD, let us know here. As this is supposed to be a dispute regarding the HNL CI pkg (vs MSG), I asume that no one else with DTV's CI pkg living outside the NY mkt territories can receive the HD games.

Well, I received a reply a few minutes ago from DTV Cust Svc about this issue. Here's the reply:

DTV Cust Svc said:
Because of an agreement between MSG and the NHL, DIRECTV is no longer able to show MSG HD broadcasts in the NHL Center Ice package. Until further notice the MSG HD feeds of the Devils, Islanders, Rangers, and Sabres games in the NHL Center Ice package will be unavailable. You may still be able to see these games in standard definition, so kindly check your program guide for details.

At least they said "Until further notice..." We can hope for some settlement to the dispute, I guess. This stinks. When we're paying for the CI pkg and can't get available HD feeds....

Well, I received a reply a few minutes ago from DTV Cust Svc about this issue. Here's the reply:

At least they said "Until further notice..." We can hope for some settlement to the dispute, I guess. This stinks. When we're paying for the CI pkg and can't get available HD feeds....

If it makes you feel any better, we have never gotten those hd feeds on nhlci package on E*.

Well its happening again tonight. I know its Islanders and judging by the guide it looks like Rangers too. Words cannot express my anger at being a useless pawn in a p$3sing contest between these parties. I am glad that I at least found this site for an explanation. I had a feeling the Dolans were involved. Now it makes more sense to me. I don't live in New York but I am starting to understand why they are so beloved.

Last edited:
What was weird last night was that the HD feeds from the away teams (Atlanta and Tampa Bay) feeds were on the HD channels, but were SD feeds. I couldn't figure that one out.

From looking at the schedule both the Islanders and the Devils have upcoming games listed as having MSG HD feeds. The same cannot be said for the Sabres and Rangers, who have HD feeds listed whatsoever.

This was an interesting e-mail I got this morning:

"Thank you for your email. In regards to your question, at this time MSG is not making the MSG HD feed available for DirecTV and the NHL's other partners to include in NHL Center Ice. We regret the inconvenience.

There is no new agreement that was made to stop the usage of HD feeds; however, there was never a deal that allowed any of our Center Ice proivders to take the HD feeds in the first place. DirecTV was taking the HD feed without any rights to do so.

Thanks,
NHL Center Ice "

That is interesting. Maybe I'm just taking a positive spin on this, but since there's no deal in place for any HD feeds, maybe that will hasten DTV to get a blanket deal done that covers all NHL HD game feeds for Center Ice. When the story about MSG first broke, I had thought that there had been an initial deal and that MSG & the NHL had a dispute going on that wasn't affecting the other regional outlets.

Again guys, DirecTV buys a contract for center ice from the NHL. The NHL has to have agreements with each partner station to participated in CI.

If MSG won't allow using the HD feed without an agreement from the NHL (for an additional cost most likely), than DirecTV has no choice.

DirecTV cannot resonably pay MSG for the right to this feed, the CI pacakge is operated by the NHL.

This was an interesting e-mail I got this morning:

"Thank you for your email. In regards to your question, at this time MSG is not making the MSG HD feed available for DirecTV and the NHL's other partners to include in NHL Center Ice. We regret the inconvenience.

There is no new agreement that was made to stop the usage of HD feeds; however, there was never a deal that allowed any of our Center Ice proivders to take the HD feeds in the first place. DirecTV was taking the HD feed without any rights to do so.

Thanks,
NHL Center Ice "

I doubt this email. It does not seem like something coporate communications would say.

I doubt this email. It does not seem like something coporate communications would say.

Doubt if you wish but here's the full source of it:

Delivered-To: <my email>
Received: by 10.151.38.21 with SMTP id q21cs165831ybj;
Thu, 5 Feb 2009 08:08:32 -0800 (PST)
Received: by 10.100.3.4 with SMTP id 4mr315583anc.27.1233850112583;
Thu, 05 Feb 2009 08:08:32 -0800 (PST)
X-Forwarded-To: <my email>
X-Forwarded-For: <my email> <my other email>
Delivered-To: <my other email>
Received: by 10.100.43.5 with SMTP id q5cs74788anq;
Thu, 5 Feb 2009 08:08:32 -0800 (PST)
Received: by 10.229.79.17 with SMTP id n17mr140058qck.82.1233850111867;
Thu, 05 Feb 2009 08:08:31 -0800 (PST)
Return-Path: <CenterIce@nhl.com>
Received: from smtp.nhl.com (smtp.nhl.com [8.11.3.22])
by mx.google.com with ESMTP id 34si1632901yxl.30.2009.02.05.08.08.31;
Thu, 05 Feb 2009 08:08:31 -0800 (PST)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of CenterIce@nhl.com designates 8.11.3.22 as permitted sender) client-ip=8.11.3.22;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of CenterIce@nhl.com designates 8.11.3.22 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=CenterIce@nhl.com
Received: from nhlmail.nhl.net ([10.50.15.20])
by smtp.nhl.com (Lotus Domino Release 8.0.2)
with ESMTP id 2009020511083082-74811 ;
Thu, 5 Feb 2009 11:08:30 -0500
In-Reply-To: <25592803.51233844657878.JavaMail.nhl1@pa-app12>
To: <my email>
Subject: Re: NHL Center Ice - U.S. & Canada only
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Mailer: Lotus Notes Release 6.5.5 November 30, 2005
Message-ID: <OF1FD950EB.3676E9C3-ON85257554.0058565E-85257554.0058AB96@nhl.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 11:08:20 -0500
X-MIMETrack: Serialize by Router on NHLMAIL/NHL(Release 8.0.2|August 07, 2008) at 02/05/2009
11:08:21 AM,
Serialize complete at 02/05/2009 11:08:21 AM,
Itemize by SMTP Server on SMTP/NHL(Release 8.0.2|August 07, 2008) at 02/05/2009
11:08:30 AM,
Serialize by Router on SMTP/NHL(Release 8.0.2|August 07, 2008) at 02/05/2009
11:08:31 AM,
Serialize complete at 02/05/2009 11:08:31 AM
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="=_alternative 0058AB9585257554_="

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 0058AB9585257554_=
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"

Thank you for your email. In regards to your question, at this time MSG is
not making the MSG HD feed available for DirecTV and the NHL's other
partners to include in NHL Center Ice. We regret the inconvenience.

There is no new agreement that was made to stop the usage of HD feeds;
however, there was never a deal that allowed any of our Center Ice
proivders to take the HD feeds in the first place. DirecTV was taking the
HD feed without any rights to do so.

Thanks,
NHL Center Ice

Last edited:
Again guys, DirecTV buys a contract for center ice from the NHL. The NHL has to have agreements with each partner station to participated in CI.

If MSG won't allow using the HD feed without an agreement from the NHL (for an additional cost most likely), than DirecTV has no choice.

DirecTV cannot resonably pay MSG for the right to this feed, the CI pacakge is operated by the NHL.

Yup. For DirecTV to do something directly with MSG would violate the NHL's blackout rules.

My hope though is along the same lines - that this dispute will clear the way for the future.

Gang, I'm getting Devils Game Night in HD at the moment & the "home/home" dual feed listings are BOTH up for the Devils/Thrashers game that's about to start at 6:30p Dallas time. Also, both HD feeds for tomorrow's Islanders/Lightning game are listed! Could it be?? I'll know in about 1 minute....YES :cool::up The MSG+ feed is live on DTV on 773-1! I guess the dispute is history? Anyone else out there watching?

Depressed Ranger Fan

The only reason I signed up for CI was to get the Rangers home and away in HD.
I live down in South florida. Transplanted New Yorker.

I cant get over this???

Right in the middle of the season this happens???

Direc tv needs to fix this asap....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)