NHL-CI to NOT include MSG-HD due to contract disupte

Status
Please reply by conversation.
NJ Devils at Thrashers: Devils smokin' after 1... up 3-1 . :dev What an awesome HD picture on the Panny Plasma :cool:

Jason, when you get a chance, could you get the "scoop" on who gets the credit for getting this MSG HD feed thing resolved this fast? I'll send an e-mail to DTV Cust Svc for MANY thanks if they got this one right that quick.

The only reason I signed up for CI was to get the Rangers home and away in HD.
I live down in South florida. Transplanted New Yorker.

I cant get over this???

Right in the middle of the season this happens???

Direc tv needs to fix this asap....

Hey, from Dallas :) It appears that it's fixed (see my earlier post). I'm not 100% sure yet about the Rangers HD issue but I'd guess that since we're getting the Devils vs Thrashers home/home feeds tonight, and tomorrow's Islanders/Lightning HD feeds are up on the menu, that the MSG / NHL dispute is resolved. I dont' see the Rangers "away" HD feed up on the Ctr Ice channels tonight but that may not be significant since, as you all know, we don't get 100% home/home feeds every night for all games.

From the sch, next chance I'll get to see 100% that the Rangers MSG HD issue is fixed will be next Wed 02/11 Caps at Rangers. (Monday's Rangers/Devils gm is on Versus).

Gang, I'm getting Devils Game Night in HD at the moment & the "home/home" dual feed listings are BOTH up for the Devils/Thrashers game that's about to start at 6:30p Dallas time. Also, both HD feeds for tomorrow's Islanders/Lightning game are listed! Could it be?? I'll know in about 1 minute....YES :cool::up The MSG+ feed is live on DTV on 773-1! I guess the dispute is history? Anyone else out there watching?

I'm watching. Only one feed for the Sabres game tonight and that's in SD. I'm getting Rangers/Stars in HD on the Stars feed only. The Knicks are on 634-1 in HD tonight so no MSG HD production for the Rangers tonight. Channel 636-1 is an NY HD overflow channel and there is nothing on it. I'm also getting the HD feed for the Devils game.

I'm hoping that maybe they're getting the HD permission per team and the Rangers/Sabres issues are almost resolved if that's not already done. Crossing fingers in Dallas.... One thing appears done, Devils MSG HD issue must be fixed.

Yea, watching the Dallas feed of the Ranger game...Dallas, nice looking stadium!

I noticed that the night Adam Graves number was retired\raised into the rafters the game was on.

However I recorded the games repeat. It was the full game not 60 minutes version..
Not sure if the time makes a difference.

Anyone know the answer on this???

Again guys, DirecTV buys a contract for center ice from the NHL. The NHL has to have agreements with each partner station to participated in CI.

If MSG won't allow using the HD feed without an agreement from the NHL (for an additional cost most likely), than DirecTV has no choice.

DirecTV cannot resonably pay MSG for the right to this feed, the CI pacakge is operated by the NHL.
If thats the case then how were they able to show the HD feed for the past year?

*bashes head against the wall*

You people just wont believe it will you. It hasn't been a contract issue until the past month. Why? I dont know. But it is between the NHL and MSG. You will not find MSG HD on Center Ice anywhere.

Darren, you lost me on this one. I'm watching the MSG HD feed of the Devils/Thrashers game tonight on the Center Ice HD feed channel 773-1. At the present time, either this is a mistake by a DTV employee at their control site or the MSG / NHL HD issue is resolved, perhaps only with the Devils and possibly the Islanders (tomorrow's Isles / Lightning HD feeds are appearing on the CI channel menu and that wasn't appearing last week during the dispute).

Yea, watching the Dallas feed of the Ranger game...Dallas, nice looking stadium!

I noticed that the night Adam Graves number was retired\raised into the rafters the game was on.

However I recorded the games repeat. It was the full game not 60 minutes version..
Not sure if the time makes a difference.

Anyone know the answer on this???

Thanks from Dallas :) I've been to a few games at the new AA arena but most of my live Stars games were seen at the old arena (Reunion Arena). I used to sit at center-ice right below the press box so I could see the replays on the press monitors and listen to league announcements coming in from their press feed. I remember waving to "Sam & JD" when the Rangers were in town. They saw my Stars hat and had a "what the..." on their faces from the broadcast booth until I said "MSG viewer on C-Band". Then they both gave me the :up's up ;)

Hopefully, Jason can give us the latest info on this MSG HD issue. All I know is that I'm watching the MSG Devils feed with no problems on DTV's Center Ice pkg this evening. And I'll be checking tomorrow for the Islanders MSG HD feed. If we're getting that tomorrow, the next test will be the Rangers/Caps game on Wed 02/11. According to the NHL site sch broadcast list, that one's carried by MSG.

I'm sure it has to do with MSG suing NHL to gain control of the Rangers website and NHL retaliated by threatening to kick the Rangers out of the NHL

Just checked today's sch at DirecTV's site. They're showing listings for the following HD feeds:

Kings at Devils 776-1
Islanders at Lightning 781-1
Sabres at Senators: no HD listing at present

Looking ahead at Wed 02/11, I don't see an HD listing for the Isles/Devils game.
Caps at Rangers HD listing is for the Caps feed; no Rangers HD feed list up yet. Same for the Senators at Sabres game that night.

Fri 02/13: Does not show HD feeds for either Bruins/Devils or Rangers/Panthers.

Seems to be "hit & miss" for now on HD feeds. Not sure what that means yet. At least I'll get to see that Rangers at Devils Mon night on Versus HD :dance:

Don't know how often it's updated or how accurate the daily Center Ice sch is at DTV's site. I don't usually check the sch there but I guess I'll look at that closer for now.

Last night's Rangers/Stars game was NOT televised in HD on MSG. MSG can only do 2 games in HD at one time. The Knicks in HD were on MSG and the Devils were in HD on MSG+. The Rangers were on MSG2 (Overflow Channel)

It is entirely possible there wasn't an agreement previously or it had expired and MSG just had not told the NHL to stop. I don't know the details, but that is a way that it could have been pulled mid-season.

I'm not sure if it is over yet, but since some feeds are starting to reappear I'd say that is a good sign.

I'm hoping that maybe they're getting the HD permission per team and the Rangers/Sabres issues are almost resolved if that's not already done. Crossing fingers in Dallas.... One thing appears done, Devils MSG HD issue must be fixed.

We won't know with regards to the Sabres for a while. There is no HD feed of the Sabres game tonight at all (MSG only does Sabres home games). Wednesday is a NHL Network game, so we'll see Friday.

But like others, I am definitely getting the MSG HD feeds though for both the Islanders and the Devils tonight.

It is entirely possible there wasn't an agreement previously or it had expired and MSG just had not told the NHL to stop. I don't know the details, but that is a way that it could have been pulled mid-season.

I'm not sure if it is over yet, but since some feeds are starting to reappear I'd say that is a good sign.

Jason, thanks for the post. Good point about a possible contract lapse issue.

I'm taking that (partial MSG HD's appearing) the same way. Seems like we have to see what happens to the Rangers & Sabres HD feeds next week.

There's no substitute for those HD feeds :up Watching the Devils/Kings gm tonight.

Jason, thanks for the post. Good point about a possible contract lapse issue.

I'm taking that (partial MSG HD's appearing) the same way. Seems like we have to see what happens to the Rangers & Sabres HD feeds next week.

There's no substitute for those HD feeds :up Watching the Devils/Kings gm tonight.

Based on DirecTV's schedule updates, the dispute is only involving the Rangers and Sabres games as both the Devils and Islanders have HD games listed for the upcoming weeks.

I checked the Islander's feed on channel 635-1 tonight and I was blacked out. Looks like nothing's changed.

I'm watching the Sharks/Bruins game on Versus tonight and Mr. Bettman was a guest. He discussed hockey and HD feeds and said how hockey in HD is very important for ratings and the experience of the home viewer. Funny how that came up right now.

According to the latest DirecTV schedule:

February 15th/17th/19th - Devils are supposed to be in HD
February 14th/18th/19th - Islanders are supposed to be in HD

One of these is a Rangers/Islanders game (on the 18th)

Last edited:
Can someone update the status of devils in HD tonite? I'm a current E* sub but D* is getting installed on Monday just so I could finally watch the Devs in HD...and now I read this thread!!!

Does anyone know if I can easily "move", change to NJ service address, and get MSG-HD as my RSN? I'm not so concerned about NY HD locals but if anyone knows, will I get those too?

I currently have CI with E* but that does me no good for devils in HD:mad:

Can someone update the status of devils in HD tonite? I'm a current E* sub but D* is getting installed on Monday just so I could finally watch the Devs in HD...and now I read this thread!!!

Does anyone know if I can easily "move", change to NJ service address, and get MSG-HD as my RSN? I'm not so concerned about NY HD locals but if anyone knows, will I get those too?

I currently have CI with E* but that does me no good for devils in HD:mad:

Another SD marvel for Isles Devs tonight. I can't do this anymore. SD is garbage. I can't go back to this. I can't justify this amount of money for SD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)