NHL GMs approve 3-on-3 overtime, but what format?

In MY opinion, the NHL didn't give the 4 on 4 the right amount of time.

They went to 5 minutes for the 4 on 4, by the time they get into the flow of the OT, it's over.
What I think they should have done from the start .... (personally, I want to play the game till it's over, not a competition game after the real game).

They should have made the 4 on 4 at least 10 minutes long to start with ... I would have even been in favor of 4 on 4 for a period and then go from there.

Now they are talking about going to 3 on 3 ....

Soon it will be Goalie on Goalie to decide. :fencing

The timing aspect sounds a bit gimmicky, after the 1st whistle or after 3 minutes or after 7 ... what gives.

Sadly the NHL pretty much lost this long time fan when the Shoot out appeared or shortly there after.

Can't wait for the Super Bowl to turn to this type of OT .... FG kicking contest to decide games, a best of 5 or maybe 7 ?

Reactions: whitewolf8214
In MY opinion, the NHL didn't give the 4 on 4 the right amount of time.

They went to 5 minutes for the 4 on 4, by the time they get into the flow of the OT, it's over.
What I think they should have done from the start .... (personally, I want to play the game till it's over, not a competition game after the real game).

They should have made the 4 on 4 at least 10 minutes long to start with ... I would have even been in favor of 4 on 4 for a period and then go from there.

Now they are talking about going to 3 on 3 ....

Soon it will be Goalie on Goalie to decide. :fencing

The timing aspect sounds a bit gimmicky, after the 1st whistle or after 3 minutes or after 7 ... what gives.

Sadly the NHL pretty much lost this long time fan when the Shoot out appeared or shortly there after.

Can't wait for the Super Bowl to turn to this type of OT .... FG kicking contest to decide games, a best of 5 or maybe 7 ?
NFL would be best served using College Football's & the CFL's OT type rules,but I digress. 3 on 3 does sound gimmicky. In the Olympics they play 4 on 4 during OT,which does seem to make the game play faster. I honestly don't remember the NHL's experiment with 4 on 4 OT before they went with the shoot out.

Reactions: TNGTony
NFL would be best served using College Football's & the CFL's OT type rules,but I digress. 3 on 3 does sound gimmicky. In the Olympics they play 4 on 4 during OT,which does seem to make the game play faster. I honestly don't remember the NHL's experiment with 4 on 4 OT before they went with the shoot out.
I think the 4 on 4 happened at the same time as the shoot out, it was 4 on 4 and if no one scored in the first 5 minutes, hell with it, lets go to a scoring competition.

Next thing up is the Wendy's Score O board, to determine a winner.

in my opinion hockey should go to 10 minutes overtime, 5 minutes 4on4 and 5 minutes 3on3 and no shootout!
As it 10 minutes total ?
I would rather see 4 on 4 for 10 and then 3 on 3 for 10.
First goal obviously wins ... this way making the game over in a total of 20 minutes or 1 addl. period.

If it's still a tie, so be it.

As it 10 minutes total ?
I would rather see 4 on 4 for 10 and then 3 on 3 for 10.
First goal obviously wins ... this way making the game over in a total of 20 minutes or 1 addl. period.

If it's still a tie, so be it.
i don't think the NHLPA would every go with adding 15 more minutes to a game, maybe 5 more

i don't think the NHLPA would every go with adding 15 more minutes to a game, maybe 5 more
Why, because they are a bunch of Sissies ?

They have to play the whole way in the playoffs anyways ..

Or do we see this junk coming in the playoffs too ?

It's no wonder the NHL lost me as a regular viewing fan.

NHL needs to change the point structure so OT wins count for more than SO wins:

• 4 points = Out-and-out win
  • 3 points = OT win (1 point for tie in regulation + 2 points for OT win)
  • 2 points = SO win = (1 point for tie in regulation + 1 point for OT win)

Reactions: Jimbo
First of all the 3 on 3 OT gimmick will never happen.
Also, the point for an OT loss is solely designed to help bad teams look better in the standings. A loss is a loss period!
Some teams in the past have made the playoffs with a poorer record than some other teams b/c of this point.

Buttman is just grasping at straws here... they went from the 5-5 OT for 5 minutes to a 4-4 and shutout to increase scoring and make the game "more exciting"... there's just too much ice for 3-3 that it will actually slow the game down (ie- instead of a quick pass they players will be force to skate down w/ the puck).
Also, what happens if there's penalty? You wont go 2 on 3.

I really wish Buttman would have stayed in the NBA

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Why, because they are a bunch of Sissies ?

They have to play the whole way in the playoffs anyways ..

Or do we see this junk coming in the playoffs too ?

It's no wonder the NHL lost me as a regular viewing fan.
i agree! if the NBA can do it, the NHL should be able to do it!

I was at an AHL game a couple weeks ago in Hershey, I got to see the 3 on 3 OT. I have to say it was exciting.

To me anything is better than a shoot out, they suck.

First of all the 3 on 3 OT gimmick will never happen.
Also, the point for an OT loss is solely designed to help bad teams look better in the standings. A loss is a loss period!
Some teams in the past have made the playoffs with a poorer record than some other teams b/c of this point.

Buttman is just grasping at straws here... they went from the 5-5 OT for 5 minutes to a 4-4 and shutout to increase scoring and make the game "more exciting"... there's just too much ice for 3-3 that it will actually slow the game down (ie- instead of a quick pass they players will be force to skate down w/ the puck).
Also, what happens if there's penalty? You wont go 2 on 3.

I really wish Buttman would have stayed in the NBA
If this were ever to actually happen and there was a power play (which there will be). they would probably go to the PP team with 4 players and the opponent still with 3.

They should just leave things alone!! :)
No, they need to get rid of the stupid Shoot out and possibly chnage points allowed for a Win vs an OT Win ect.

It got real boring when half way thru the 3rd period in a tie game teams would play for the Tie.
Then they added the shootout and by the time the OT (only 5 minutes) gets started and every one settles in, its over and on to the SO.

If this were ever to actually happen and there was a power play (which there will be). they would probably go to the PP team with 4 players and the opponent still with 3.

Is if this is the case what happens when the PP is over? Do they just play 4 on 4 until the next stoppage in play?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)