NHL is back, what about Center Ice?

FYI, for Roku, the app for this season isn't out yet. So if you try to hook up via Roku, I don't think you can.

I just purchased Gamecenter for my Roku and was wondering why there was no place to link my code. Any idea on when the app will be out? Jan 19 is coming up fast.

I'm sure it will be available by game day. MLB.tv never seems to update their apps for the new season until the last minute before the regular season starts too. That is frustrating for me because I like to watch a lot of spring training games that I can't get anywhere besides MLB.tv but even though these apps have been out for years they have to be updated to enable the new season.

I always have to bring my laptop down to the tv and connect via HDMI for spring training games even though I have 4 devices capable of streaming MLB.tv. (I left my Xbox 360 off the list earlier because I've never used MLB.tv on it but they do have an app available.) I would be really surprised if your GameCenter apps aren't available by Saturday though.

I just purchased Gamecenter for my Roku and was wondering why there was no place to link my code. Any idea on when the app will be out? Jan 19 is coming up fast.

On the Roku forums, there are rumors that the Roku app won't be ready anywhere from a week after the season starts to the end of Feb. I would hook up a pc to one of your tv's until then. Yes, that does suck. But remember the NHL knows how important it's fans are, right?

On the Roku forums, there are rumors that the Roku app won't be ready anywhere from a week after the season starts to the end of Feb. I would hook up a pc to one of your tv's until then. Yes, that does suck. But remember the NHL knows how important it's fans are, right?

I just checked out the Roku forums and that may be the case. I would still be surprised if it isn't available for the games on Saturday. As Dish customers we all know that CSRs are often wrong. I'm no programmer but it seems like all they would really need to do is push an update that includes the schedule for this years games. There is no reason the Roku app that worked last season shouldn't be able to stream this years games without a major update. If they want to make a major overhaul they could always get the old app working quickly and make their big update during the season.

If it really doesn't show up in time hopefully you have another streaming device that is ready. If not CI is supposed to be on free preview until the from the 19th to the 31st through most cable and satellite providers. I can't imagine the app taking longer than that to update.

Here is the list of compatible streaming devices. If the Roku really is delayed at the start of the season hopefully you have one of these.
http://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/cdsignup.jsp

Last edited:
king3pj, that is a good point! Even if the Roku isn't ready yet, we still have access to CI. Though I am a bit peeved that they advertised the Roku was a streamable device, but later find out that the app isn't out yet. Which of course begs the question, why do they need a new app. Didn't the last one work?

FYI about the Roku in case people are interested. I received this after I asked to cancel the Gamecenter Live thing.
NHL Customer Service said:
Greetings,

Please be advised that we have a tentative release date for the following apps:
1- iPad, iPhone and Android Apps are currently available.
2- Apple TV and XBOX should be available by Friday 1/18/2013
3- Roku and Boxee Should be available Week of January 21
4- Sony Bravia devices (TV and Blu Ray players) should be available by 1/28/2013
5- PS3 app should be available by 2/1/2013

If you want to find out more about supported device is and when it is going to be released; kindly visit us at: www.nhl.come/devices

Thank you,

NHL Support

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: ********
Department: NHL
Type: Issue
Priority: Normal

FYI about the Roku in case people are interested. I received this after I asked to cancel the Gamecenter Live thing.

Wow. PS3 won't be available until February 1st? I just read that the PS3 was the most used streaming device both for Netflix and and these sports packages. I'm really surprised that they will be the last ones to get the update. Good news for Roku users though. It looks like Roku will only miss a couple days. This was handled very poorly by the NHL but at least it looks like all of these apps will be available before the Center Ice free preview ends.

Did you still cancel or are you going to wait it out?

Wow. PS3 won't be available until February 1st? I just read that the PS3 was the most used streaming device both for Netflix and and these sports packages. I'm really surprised that they will be the last ones to get the update. Good news for Roku users though. It looks like Roku will only miss a couple days.
Which is fine by me as I'll have CI to cover the gap.
This was handled very poorly by the NHL but at least it looks like all of these apps will be available before the Center Ice free preview ends.
I think you mean to say "Everything" was handled very poorly by the NHL... ;)

Did you still cancel or are you going to wait it out?
Actually I don't know. I asked to cancel and said the Roku was the reason why and that was the reply I got. I don't mind waiting until next week for the Roku to work. I didn't want to wait a month plus and lose a good portion of the season!

I think you mean to say "Everything" was handled very poorly by the NHL... ;)
LOL...well played.

Actually I don't know. I asked to cancel and said the Roku was the reason why and that was the reply I got. I don't mind waiting until next week for the Roku to work. I didn't want to wait a month plus and lose a good portion of the season!
I'd still tell them that you'll wait until it's confirmed that the Roku app is available. What if the expected release date is missed? Then call them back and try to negotiate a reduced price for the time missed. ;)

I just read the Roku forums and someone claims to have last seasons app working with a brand new subscription but apparently it only works this way on the Roku 2 series not the Roku 1 series. I'm not home to test and I haven't signed up yet but hopefully someone here can try this out.

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=43987&sid=04d84809862de1ce81787030980a9b99&start=120

Folks: I just assisted a new neighbor that is a HUGE hockey fan, he will watch regardless of actions by the league or players as much as he can, to get set up with Gamecenter live and finish setting up his Roku he received for Christmas. (His grand kids knew he was adverse to technology but they also knew he had me for a neighbor and that I was more than willing to get his new computer, router and Roku setup and working.
icon_wink.gif
)

This is with a Roku 2.

After setting up a Gamecenter account and installing the NHL ch he was able to log onto Gamecenter through the Roku by entering his email and password.

The Roku reported success and he went immanently (After turning off score reporting to avoid spoilers) to the vault and was able to play games from last season and the season before. However none of the "Classic" games he tried seemed to load at all. They just timed out to the "This stream not currently available" message.

He also checked "Today's Games" (Actually it is a list of the current season by date) and found the games for at least the opening few days listed.

It looks like, maybe, for those that are interested the channel works.

Of course he must wait until tomorrow to see if it actually works for live games but the prospects look pretty good.

Also the "Standings" page shows all zeros so it looks to also have been updated. However things like "League Leaders" are still showing last year's numbers, but I guess that is as it should be.

In a two hour+ period my neighbor gave the channel quite a workout and found no real problems. He is all set for the start of the season it seems but we can't be sure until we see if the games actually play on Saturday.

Perhaps the new app is already out?

I think you're right. There are now multiple people saying the app has been updated to allow logging in with your GameCenter account. They are saying if that is not an option for you that you should delete the app from your Roku and download it again from the Roku store. Looks like Roku users will have GameCenter available in time for the first game after all. Just another case of CSRs spreading incorrect information.

Check Game Center Live and we in WNY are SOL. MSG is blacked out.

Yeah they have to follow the same blackout rules as Dish. It is an out of market sports package. It won't work as an alternative for watching your local RSN even if Dish doesn't have it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts