Nice HD Download Service M$. NOT

BobMurdoch

Playing XBoxOne SeriesX/Supporter
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Brielle, NJ
All righty then..... Recorded another Jericho episode last night. Standard def. Three minutes after I started the download, it let me start watching...

Service is pricey compared to just recording it to a DVR, but useful to grab episodes you've missed or to catch up on new shows that you've discovered.

BobMurdoch

Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Brielle, NJ
That's OK... I like this Stargate esque method of airing shows.... No repeats, and when they are back on you have expectations of a new episode every week....

mikley28

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 12, 2005
San Leandro, CA
All righty then..... Recorded another Jericho episode last night. Standard def. Three minutes after I started the download, it let me start watching...

Service is pricey compared to just recording it to a DVR, but useful to grab episodes you've missed or to catch up on new shows that you've discovered.

Or your DVR messed up on... :D

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
But at least you can get that speed BOB. Where I am in N.C. cable has just now started approacing the 6mb range and they still are not down my street. 1/2 mile away and setting!

BobMurdoch

Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Brielle, NJ
Yeah, I got quoted in a PC World article about Cablevision's top speed when I responded to a survey of theirs to my email....

It is kinda cool to download huge HD movie trailer downloads in no time flat....

I ran a speed test on a website and it appraised my speed subjectively as "Unbelievable".

BobMurdoch

Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Brielle, NJ
I'm still amazed that a 5GB supposed HD download can look as good as it does.....

They'll never be HD DVD quality, unless they start supplying us with much bigger hard drives and broadband speeds get much faster....

hpman247

SatelliteGuys Pro
I'm still amazed that a 5GB supposed HD download can look as good as it does.....

They'll never be HD DVD quality, unless they start supplying us with much bigger hard drives and broadband speeds get much faster....

Well don't call it F'ing HD then. If sony was calling that garbage HD everyone would be on them and you know it. I really don't care if M$ calls it HD, but the fact that one company can do it w/o being ratted on and another can't is BS. I'm not the kind of person to do that though, but I always have to post stuff like this which seems like i'm against the 360 b/c of all those 360 die hard supporters that only want to bash.

BobMurdoch

Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Brielle, NJ
Hey, I'm with you on this one. I had watched the first episode in HD, and the second in SD. Not a lot of difference so I just watch the SD episodes after that and saved the extra buck or so per download....

The 3 minute 2GB movie trailers look good though. It's just a mathematical impossibility to have a 5GB 90 minute HD program look as we would expect...

shanewalker

Overall, an O.K. Guy
Supporting Founder
Mar 15, 2005
KC/MO!
I don't have the benefit of a new 1080p monitor, but on my 2-yr-old Sony 55" RPTV (which nevertheless, still does a great job w/ HD, btw)...I'd have to say that the two HD movies I've viewed through the Microsoft download service looked pretty darn passable.

No, they don't have quite the punch of my HD-DVD titles. But they sure as hell look better than DVD. It's not perfect HD--but it's HD alright. The VC1 compression, even at 6GB file sizes, impressed me. I only saw artifacting once, and these films ('Poseidon' and 'The Wicker Man') had plenty of compression-challenging material...water, fire, light gradients, flash cuts, etc.

The speed of the download might need some tweaking--but its my ISP that holds some of the blame, I realize, as I'm on medium-speed DSL.

Overall, as I've said, I was quite impressed w/ the service. I'm just hoping they get enough of a positive response that they'll enhance/expand the service...more titles, tweaked encodes w/ mandatory 5.1 audio, etc.

BobMurdoch

Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Brielle, NJ
A lot has to do with your ISP speed. i have 30mb downstream from Cablevision's Optimum Online Boost and I can start watching content less than 3 minutes after I trigger the download. The download speed always outstrips whatever data I am chewing through watching the content in the buffer.... (I really like being able to start watching something while the rest downloads in the background)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts